Author Topic: "Sorry about the explosion"  (Read 39460 times)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: "Sorry about the explosion"
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 03:46:53 AM »
I like the bins PK! :thumbup:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 04:18:04 AM »
The wheels are just band sawed out of some 1" thick wood I had lying around. I then drilled them and ran a bolt and some washers through them. I used a Nylock nut on the bolts so I could just snug the wheel up and it wouldn't work loose. The only thing I had to buy were the nuts, bolts, washers, and the handles. I made them big so they would roll good if the floor got a little messy :bugeye: :jaw:

More to follow.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:09:18 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 10:20:48 PM »
The last couple of weeks I have been researching line shaft information. The grinder and the drill press will be ran with a line shaft ran against the east wall of my shop. I tore into the grinder tonight and found a few things that I'll have to make. There is a flange with a tapered bore that centers the grinding wheel. One of those is missing. This grinder came with a loose and a tight pulley when it was new. Mine had the loose pulley but in place of the tight pulley was a V-pulley. I'll have to make one of those to\o/ Then I'll have to fab up a couple of tool rests as mine are long gone.

On these loose and tight pulley arangements, Do I need a loose and tight pulley on the line shaft also?

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
Line shaft sounds like a great project Wes.  I do not know the answer but I imagine if you are using fast and loose pulleys on your machine there would be no loose pulley on the overhead shaft  because if the belt is not moving what would be the point of the loose pulley on the machine?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
I've been puttering around my shop after work this week. Here is a top view of the grinder shaft. You can see the ear that's busted off. It had been fixed and busted off again :doh: I ground all the "fix" off and cleaned it up for a good brazing job. It sure is dirty!!! This was after some scraping.

Yeah!!! The bolt holes still line up :lol: The brazing rod stuck pretty good. There will probably be a couple of bubbles on the left side, But It should be good as new. A little filing and some paint, no one will know that it was broken :beer:

I've never seen a grease cup before. If you look real close there are two in the middle of the picture here.

There is a tapered flange that the wheel rides on. Here they are after some scraping.

It's coming along.....

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »
Still plugging away. I made a couple of outer washers for my grinder. The originals were missing. I think these will look OK.

I spent a while on these. They will be the spokes for a couple of the flat belt pulleys that I need to make. I turned the shafts to a taper and then heated them up and bent them.

I'll try and get to the pulley rims tomorrow. A buddy is coming over to help me mount my post for the drill press\o/ I'll be sure to get pictures.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »
Here is the tapered pilot warsher that I made next to the original. I left the finish a little rough to match the original. A couple of interesting things that I noticed. The original was made from a casting. The roundy shapes on the outside were made with a form tool. They cut the whole end all at once. You can tell by the chatter lines that match up on the end. They probably then used some enery paper to clean it up a bit.

Wesley P

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
nice job wes  :thumbup:

did you use a form tool to create the shapes you needed or did you do them free hand?
looking forward to seeing how you make the pulley's.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
I just did them freehand. I used a large radius tool and blended everything with a rat tail and a lathe file. Then I sanded it with a little emery:o)

Chuck, I sent you a Email a couple of days ago. Did you get it? If not could you please PM me your Email?

Thanks, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »
I had a buddy cut out the pieces for a bracket to mount my post to. Here are the pieces TIG welded togather.

My Bald headed Friend drilled the anchor holes for the post bracket. I cross drilled the post for a bolt in the bottom.

We got the drill mounted for now. It sure turns over smooth.

Now I'll get back on the grinder. I'm starting on the small pulley that goes on the grinder itself.

Wesley P

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 07:06:34 PM »
That drill looks great .... like the post .... pun intended  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 09:30:32 PM »
Thanks Darren!

Back to the Grinder. I chucked up a piece of steel and there was a old style flat pulley right in the middle of it:o) I still have to cut the crown on it.

Here is what it looks like now\o/

I need to get the metal for the tool rests. That will be a fun lathe project:o)

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
I started whittling on my flat pulley rim. Almost too big for my old lathe!!!

I'm cleaning up my mill during the long cuts. I'll start squaring up my Oak bearing blocks\o/
Wesley P

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2009, 09:02:41 PM »
looking good wes..............what diameter is the big pulley?

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
Thanks chuck!!! The Od will be near 12.750". I managed to get through that flame cutting.

It was pretty slow going. While the pulleys were running, I maanaged to get my wood bearings squared up. I roughed them out on my band saw, then milled them square. What a mess!!! Even for me:o)

I'll set up a vise stop to drill the bolt holes. That way, maybe, they'll all line up:o)

Wes

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »
I'm still looking for Ideas for File storage. I ran across these racks for wood chisels that looked pretty neat. I'm getting to the point where I need to start hanging stuff up. I like these because the file won't be hanging by the handle. It wont fall out of the handle if it happens to work loose.

I'll keep looking:o)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:10:51 AM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

bogstandard

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2009, 01:34:48 AM »
Nice work so far Wes.

I definitely don't like the way those unprotected chisel ends look. One false move with a couple of those designs and you could easily have your wrists opened up.  What are those people thinking of? It sure ain't shop safety.
I was always told to keep sharp edges down or away from you, if at all possible.

You are really making a meal out of this tidy up session, and I will tell you one thing. Once it is all finished, you will not believe how much easier your shop will be to work in.
I used to dread wading thru all the junk in mine, but now, as long as I tidy up every now and again, I feel as though I am in workshop heaven, and making things is so much quicker now that I can just lay my hands on the tools right away, without having to search for them.

John

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »
I thought the chisels looked a bit dangerous also. But I think they'll be perfect for my files!!! I really like the third one down. I might knock one together this evening to see how it will work for me.

My shop still looks like a disaster. I have my workbench about cleaned off, but all the stuff that was on it had to go somewhere... As soon as I can start getting a "spot" for everything. I think it will drastically improve things. The storage gins made a big difference I've noticed.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Tonight, I dug through ALL my toolbox drawers. Nearly every one had a file or two in it :doh: I know your not posed to keepem there. But that's where they were. I was mainly trying to get a handle on what I'm going to need. Firstly, lots of handles :doh: I know, files is supposed to have handles onem. Secondly, A few of those racks will be in order. A couple small racks, A couple medium racks and a couple of large racks. I'm thinking strategically placed throughout the shop. A couple near my work bench and one by each lathe. Stay tuned....

A couple of things that seem to be in my way are my shop vac and extension cords. I need to come up with something for them.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
I've been looking for some more space savers on the web. I ran into these two Ideas that I think will work good in my shop. The first idea would be to make some more storage bins. I'll probably put things like power tools in them. I have a couple belt sanders, hand drills, jig saws, and stuff like that. I think power cords would go nice in them to.

Another Idea is for some lumber that I have and light metal.

I'm going to try and get these started this weekend. My wife says she wants to help\o/
Wesley P

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
Nice idea hunting Wes.

There are some very interesting storage units there  :thumbup:

My wife says she wants to help\o/

No way to win there!!  Good luck!!    :wack:   :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
Tonight I didn't get much done. I try to get something done every night, so, I pushed myself to go out and do "something". I thought I could mill the oil galleys into my wood bearings. So I marked them out and did that\o/

More tomorrow....
Wesley P

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 05:55:41 AM »
Nice holes  :thumbup:

What's the wood and did you use a normal end mill?

I ask cos I need to make some organisers myself ....  :dremel:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 01:30:06 PM »
Hey Darren, I'm using White Oak for my bearings. I used a flycutter to square them up. The end grain wanted to split out a little. Then I used a regular endmill to cut the pockets out. I marked the blocks with a pencil and plunged into the middle of the pocket to final depth. Then I just milled the pocket to the lines.

Wesley P

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Wes, Hard maple is the best choice for wood bearings. Two companies that make most of the wood bearings are Artguto and Woodex. Both use rock maple.

Back in the 70's I worked for a conveyor company that got a large contract for a conveyor system. The contract stipulated a five year warranty for the conveyor rollers bearings. In order to ensure compliance the rollers were equipped with Arguto bearings. A side benefit was a much quitter system.

Joe