Author Topic: DRO..... PC based  (Read 32556 times)

Offline Dawai

Re: DRO..... PC based
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 06:20:04 AM »
http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html
plans, code, parts list.

I never realized how simple these projects are, I've been too involved in the "industrial" environment.  This looks like a hour long project.

This arduino research all started with a 24x24x48 3d reprap printer build on this end. (based on the arduino) THE free app for this, the remote control lawnmower I did "another way" and several other things I did differently, and more expensively. Being a UNION electrician for years I never realized I was stuck in the "I can fix it, even if it takes every last dollar you got" mental mode.
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline Dawai

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »
HOW COOL IS THIS??  SERIAL OUT USB CABLE directly to they arduino with YURI's sketch in it..

NOW, anything I send out "serial labled from the arduino" as he wrote the android software to recieve is displayed on the NEXUS 7...

Note.. the nexus 7 otg micro-usb cable cost me $2.88..  free shipping.
THE touchDRO is a free app from the google playstore..

NEAT, YURI, Thank you.. I will donate a few bucks money to your project.
I Hung a 24 foot Ibeam this morning in the ceiling by myself, programmed a Arduino this afternoon for a solar project, Helped a buddy out with a electrical motor connection issue on the phone, then cut up a chicken for Hotwings. I'd say it has been a "blessed day" for myself and all those around me.

Offline dawesy

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 03:58:23 AM »
liking this, excellent project.
is there a version of this that could run through a PC? i have a spare PC that im going to install in the shop ( for solidworks jobs, car EPC etc)
how much are the scales and where is best to get them?

keep us posted on how it works :)
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Dawai

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
I can write you a "altered" version of my "cheapass DRO" that runs in windows visual basic. INstead of reading the chinese scales through multiple ports, it could read the arduino and let it do the work.

No big deal, ten to fifteen minutes to alter it.. will take me a lot longer to remember what files you need on your machine to run it.. vbrun.exe??? I can't remember.. (hit on the head too many times??)

I had a version that was "power to" a point using a power feed... Not sure where that one went.  Not a true cnc, but a slotter or face off system.. no interpolation between axis (cutting circles or angles)

Offline Dawai

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 06:31:40 PM »
I got it talking to the Arduino "code unchanged".

I'll make the "power feed" boxes invisible.. and clean some up, then hunt a place to post it to share with anyone that wants it..  Perhaps the Yahoo CheapAssDro forum I started, now can't get back into?? Ha.. getting old sucks.

(got a migraine, off right now to watch some tele and pet the dog)

Offline dawesy

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:58:05 AM »
that looks good :)
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Dawai

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
YES, originally, it had the parallel port turn the axis feed motors on and off..
you set the speed to the cut you wanted to do.. had plenty of problems, but would run back and forth cutting a keyway in a shaft, or facing off a slab of metal flat.  Not sure which version I have there.. have to go back in the notebooks..

NOW.. and I am not promising a time frame since I have other things going on.. I'll get it running and reading to the screen off the Igauging arduino software that Yuri wrote, and then later redo the arduino code to make " axis feed servos" that run with feedback off the scales. Software can run simple G-code as is.. it has a parser in it to read a file, then stroke the machine X-back and forth, Y-in and out, up and Z-down.. Just not interpolate since it was designed to use axis feed motors with "manual mounted speed pots"

(how that could work? the arduino is a "resolver" which take the desired speed, pulses a motor (such as a old wiper screen motor w/brass gears) to go that speed.. can make a true cnc like that... from a old power feed machine..

Just not a very good one, that requires ball screws and real servo drives..

Thoughts are the simple jobs that I mostly do, radial holes, slotting, other things can be done on a much simpler machine than a cnc thou.. Without the 10k investment I have in mine.

IF there is someone else who is good in Visual basic interested, the open code is too long to post here.. you are welcome to my coding..

I have a hundred other things going on, including that 1957, megasquirt fuel injected 350ci-400hp w/world class Mustang-T5 speed GMC truck I am building..

It talks to the computer or the tablet too. THE EFI intake, distributor is on a table in the basement. THE tablet can "tune it too" via a free app off google play and either usb or bluetooth adapter.

Offline ycroosh

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 02:15:15 AM »
How good are you with C#? I have a windows (WPF/C#) version that I use for testing but it doesn't have any error handling code and is lacking most of the functions (it's a copy of the very first Android version). If you're interested, I can make that repository public, but "the software comes as-is, with no explicit or implied warranty" :)

Regards
Yuriy

Offline Dawai

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 06:29:39 AM »
Hi.

This visual basic one is working pretty good, I am using mscomm, so it is simple, Sorting the data, I use the X,Y,Z to identify Beginning, and the ";" to note end of transmission for each axis.  No Chr(13)'s so no end of line (constant stream), I am pulling a byte at a time in the mscomm setup. Of course you know all that thou. 

The Chinese scales used a transmission setup of 48 input length. I'd pull words direct from the port then convert binary to decimal.  About ten minutes in change, then I gutted the program removing the motion portion.

It needs some additional things like a averaging routine to stop jitter. A rpm pickoff added to the arduino, the polar holes program popped into it.  We are having a snow day here today, so I might get to work on it some. I was "hacked" yesterday.. someone trying to get to my surveillance system or this  old junky computer I code on.  Normally when that happens, I pull the hose.

YURI, Hang in there, your software is helping others. When I get this vb version cobbled together you are welcome to, and asked to post it for others.. (under free share, no warranty, no customer service)

NOTE, if you "stream" from the arduino in the same format, X##.#;Y#.##;Z###;  you can read quadrature encoders, ten turn pots, Sonar (sf04) or any other instrument you wanted to display on a tablet.. Yuri's touchdro app software would work with no android programming required. 

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »
I have called time on my vb efforts in favour of yuriy's adriod work, butif there's any help I can give 'ou jusr shout:)

Bill
Bill

Offline OzzyRob

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
I've been using Yuri's DRO for a while now,big thanks to Yuri, unfortunately I don't have a android tablet but did manage to get Android installed on an Acer netbook. Runs great using bluetooth but lacks the touchscreen convienence.
I used a 3.3v Arduino Nano so I didn't have to use a divider network. If you go this route make sure you use a pull down resistor on each data line. Another thing that is a must is to have a capacitor across each +ve & gnd going to each head, this stops the random "resets" on an axis.
The "PC" option did intrigue me for a while. I wonder if a Mach 3 "plugin" could be an option ?   

Offline Dawai

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
Mach3 readout, Using vb script I posted code here in another post for a "serial" control card using MScomm.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,9395.0.html

Mach3 does a "pulse" feed system thou through the parallel port. Not a on-0ff like I did with the cheap_ass dro.

I have Mach3 on my bridgeport cnc here.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
Just having a brainfart would it be posible to take two readings off of the scale? I was just thinking that  it should be posible to set the min/max for travel to prevent crashes and have two others that could be set manualy by the operator?

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
I'm thinking of this solution for my mill and have a question. The iGaging scale sizes they announce, are these scale length or effective travel?