Author Topic: My latest project. Gingery horizontal mill  (Read 74925 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: My latest project. Gingery horizontal mill
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »
Great bit of work Gadget,
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Enjoying the thread looking forward to the next great installment.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »
Gadget.

Wonderful project here. I am transfixed by it. A few questions,  I can guess on the volume and weight of the contents in the Kiln ladle but how long does it take to get to correct temperature? And do you remove the slag before you pour? If not does that effect the pour and the result?.

Many thanks.     Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
Gadget.

Wonderful project here. I am transfixed by it. A few questions,  I can guess on the volume and weight of the contents in the Kiln ladle but how long does it take to get to correct temperature? And do you remove the slag before you pour? If not does that effect the pour and the result?.

Many thanks.     Anthony.

Hi Anthony,
This was about 5.5 lbs of aluminum in the crucible with some left over poured into ingots. It takes about 35 minutes from startup to pour temp for that much metal using propane as a fuel source. The raw material was from ingots previously poured with very little slag but I always skim the pot before pouring. Pouring temp for aluminum is 1300 degrees. Without a pyrometer, the rule of thumb is to pour three minutes after the last ingot has melted.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »
Great job Gadget  :thumbup:

i will have  to keep an eye on this thread

Rob

Offline Gadget

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »
I had to make an angle plate to true the mounting surface of the spindle stand this weekend. The plate did what it needed to do and the bottom mounting surface of the spindle stand is nice and flat. The spindle stand is true vertical both side to side and front to back. Here are some photos of the angle plate and welding. Be kind, I'm not that experienced with TIG welding yet.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 05:06:54 PM »
Hey your tig looks much better than my mig. But it looks like your gaining ground on the welding, ya got a few "dimes" laid down there nice.  :thumbup:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »
That one piece was pretty thick for a guy still learning about TIG, Gadget.  You did alright! 
Your castings look very good, to me, (that's coming from someone who may know about welding,
but has never got past reading about casting).

This is probably the only way I'll ever get my own scraper, (by casting), so I'm enjoying and learning
from your project.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
Thanks guys. Dean, did you mean shaper or scraper. I have a shaper on the project list. I will be doing that after the mill is finished (kind of backward order)
Dan

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

Gadget

Nice work. I am very interested in the out come of this.

I am a welder for a living and see the little things you are doing wrong by the photographs shown. You don’t have bad welding skills you need just a little theory and a pointer in the right direction. Its an easy fix.

I am going to in the next month do a thread on stick and Tig welding from start to finish. Getting involved of the theory and metallurgy of it. Walking the cup and stick angle will be covered, that’s half the battle. It really is easy and the techniques are simple. Its all about practice.

Your job is fine. Nice work.   Anthony.

Offline Dean W

• Projects web pages
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 11:34:41 PM »
Dan, I meant "shaper".  Too fast typing, to slow proof reading!

The Gingery type would probably be the only kind I would consider.   I could buy a used one, but the DG one looks about the right size for my small, fairly full shop, and it's one I could move around without a lifting apparatus.

I was also a welder at my main job for some 20 years, until I changed directions due to degradations of my personal structure. 
I expect you were probably using the TIG on the fixture you welded as a way of getting in some practice.  That's about what it takes, too.  Welding is very much a "doing" thing, and it's less easy to tell about it than to show about it.  If you have questions, though, at least you know there are a couple of guys here who've spent some time under a welding hood.

Now, time for me to sit back and watch this casting stuff!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:

Offline Gadget

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »
Dean,
I plan on the Gingery shaper too. I may have patterns available after I finish mine that you could borrow. Depends on who gets there first.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »

Gadget

Nice work. I am very interested in the out come of this.

I am a welder for a living and see the little things you are doing wrong by the photographs shown. You don’t have bad welding skills you need just a little theory and a pointer in the right direction. Its an easy fix.

I am going to in the next month do a thread on stick and Tig welding from start to finish. Getting involved of the theory and metallurgy of it. Walking the cup and stick angle will be covered, that’s half the battle. It really is easy and the techniques are simple. Its all about practice.

Your job is fine. Nice work.   Anthony.
Thanks Anthony.
I my current "theory" is make it stick together, beyond that I only know what I have read.  There is so much out there it's hard to find out what is the cause of this problem or that problem. If I were going to do a lot of this I would take a class but as a nearly retired hobbiest, I can't justify the cost.
Dan

Offline fluxcored

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
Dan, this is very inspiring. I'm in the final stages of building a very very primitive wood fuelled foundry. I expect it to be inefficient and barely able to melt aluminum - we'll see. I hope to cast myself little items which you guys normally make on a mill, a fixed steady is also the list.

If I have little success then I plan to build a proper waste oil foundry. It's good to know there's guys on the board that's experts in these fields.

If I survive and not burn myself to a crisp, I may tackle the Gingery shaper.

Anthony, I'm looking forward to your thread. I'm always keen on picking up new tips and tricks. The older I get, the worse my welding becomes.

Regards.
"Living is a dangerous occupation. Just look at all the dead people out there." - Thomas Lipton

Offline Gadget

Gingery horizontal mill update 02 14
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
I spent the weekend hand scraping the pads for mounting the vertical ways this weekend. Once that was done I mounted the headstand and vertical ways. I have the ways mounted with two screws right now. The remaining holes are drilled and countersunk but still need to be tapped, I just ran out of time.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 07:28:04 PM »
Starting to take shape there Gadget. Looking very nice.

Bernd

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
Gadget.
Great job!. Looks neat and tidy. Scraping is something I have never done but know the theory. Its hard work. Maybe a little write-up on the scraping and your advice would be welcome.
All the best.             Anthony.

Offline Gadget

This weekend's work on the mill
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
I needed a pattern that was 3/8ths thick for the spindle slide. Since I don't have a planer and have no idea where I can get wood in 3/8th in dimension I used my CNC plasma/router table to cut the pattern to the proper thickness. Here is a 3 minute video on the process.

"
&hl=en_US&fs=1&"

Offline Dean W

• Projects web pages
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
That's a neat way to make patterns!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 08:43:17 PM »
Gaget,

Couple of questions, who's table if it's commercial and could you have used styrofoam?

I'm thinking of getting a cnc plasma table next year from Torchmate. It's small, 2' X 2'.

Anyway nice job. Don't want to get to far offf topic.

Bernd

Offline Gadget

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
Gaget,

Couple of questions, who's table if it's commercial and could you have used styrofoam?

I'm thinking of getting a cnc plasma table next year from Torchmate. It's small, 2' X 2'.

Anyway nice job. Don't want to get to far offf topic.

Bernd
Bernd,
I could  have used styrofoam but will be casting indoors and the fumes from lost foam are nasty. As for the table, I built this myself. It is convertible from router to plasma cutter and is based on plans from solsylva.com. I use a Longevity ForceCut LP80 plasma cutter when doing that function.
I have seen the torchmate 2x2 CNC machines, they are very nice. I didn't spend as much on my table as what the Torchmate tables cost though. Also, the Torchmate 2x2 units come without the plasma cutter I believe.
Dan

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Also, the Torchmate 2x2 units come without the plasma cutter I believe.
Dan

Yes, you are correct. I'm getting a Miller Spectrum 375 this summer.

Didn't know you poured inside. That sure would stink up the place.

Bernd

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
Re: Gingery horizontal mill update 02 14
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:36 AM »
I spent the weekend hand scraping the pads for mounting the vertical ways this weekend. Once that was done I mounted the headstand and vertical ways. I have the ways mounted with two screws right now. The remaining holes are drilled and countersunk but still need to be tapped, I just ran out of time.
Hi Dan, I bought and read all the Gingery books as they came out, took the time to make a crude charcoal foundry, as I lived in "base housing" as a Marine, and couldn't have a permanent or long term setup, but I learned to cast aluminum, and to work the sand so as to keep blow holes away, and hope to have a waste oil foundry built when I get done with the other fifty projects I'm back on, but I'm enjoying watching you build the mill, and seeing much cleaner and shapelier castings than those I did so many years ago.  I learned a lot from the Gingery Books and his way of thinking and doing, and I've got a couple of engine projects he did which I want to do myself, namely his differential Atkinson Engine and perhaps one of his Stirling engine models.  Great job on the castings, and on the pictures showing the work.  mad jack  :beer:

Offline Gadget

Gingery mill update 3 13
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
I recast the spindle slide today. Made two of them, one for me and one for Torqueman. They both turned out quite well this time. I will cast the bearing caps next and then the hand scraping and fitting begins again.
Dan

Offline Gadget

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »
I finally have an update. The spindle slide casting was made with incorrect measurements (error in Gingery book) I recast the parts with the correct dimensions.
Rather than hand scrape the box slide and bearing cap fit I used my CNC mill to do the work. I'm very pleased with the results.

Offline Dean W

• Projects web pages
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »
Thanks for the update on your scraper, Gadget.  Things are coming along nicely.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects: