Author Topic: Idea for a bevel tool  (Read 7705 times)

Offline djh82uk

Idea for a bevel tool
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:07 PM »
Hi Guys

I was on a smoke break earlier, standing in the rain and I had an thought, If I had a large piece of rectangle/Square stock (lets say a base for something) and I wanted to bevel the edges to make it look better, how would I go about it, now I have no need to carry out this proceedure, so not sure where the idea came from, but....

I was thinking, If you have 2 pieces of aluminium about 1 inch long, 15mm wide and 2 mm thick and had then at 90 degrees to each other, held together by some small sort of frame.

Now also atatched to this frame would be a dremel style grinding wheel at 45 degrees to each of the aluminium strips, it would be reatined and the shaft go through a bearing, the shaft is then atatched to one of those flexi extensions you get with dremels.

the grinding wheel could be height adjustable or have a spring to maintain failry even pressure.

So to use it you would place it so that each plate is snug on the block (one on top, one on the side), push down firmly so the wheel takes up the pressure, turn it on and run it back and fore the workpiece, hopefully getting a nice 45 degree bevel

What do you think, could it work?

DJH

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Idea for a bevel tool
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
DJH,

Ya it would work if it needed to be portable or you didn't have a mill.

I would think it easier to use the mill with a 45 degree cutter. :scratch: But then that's me thinking.  :smart:

:lol:     :lol:     :lol:     :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:49 AM »
Hi DJH

Your idea would work but if you've got a mill the easy way as suggested would be to use a 45 deg cutter or a ball nose cutter that gives a real neat edge.

like this

But don't forget the trusty file its amazing just what a good job you can do with a file and a little care.

Have fun

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline djh82uk

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »
Heh, did not know you could get angled cutters, shutting up (why is there no embarresed emoticon on here?)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 11:14:17 AM »
Heh, did not know you could get angled cutters, shutting up (why is there no embarresed emoticon on here?)

And why would you be embarresed?

Because non of us can get embarresed  :headbang: We look at it as gaining information for the brain.   :)

Bernd

Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 12:25:29 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that a countersink ( HSS of course..) could used to chamfer corners.... :scratch:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
you can use router bits to give neat and fancy edges on aluminum and brass.............the carbide router bits might work on steel, but you would have to take light cuts and go very slow.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline websterz

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that a countersink ( HSS of course..) could used to chamfer corners.... :scratch:

Yup...works pretty well too.  :dremel:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:45 AM »
I tried the counter sink on brown stuff it was fine but when I tried to mill a v groove through some aluminium it really struggled. It might do a reasonable chamfer on one edge though. I might try it on a bit of scrap as I really need to put something around my alloy base, otherwise it might look a bit crap!

Nick