Author Topic: UK Flooding  (Read 4084 times)

Offline 75Plus

UK Flooding
« on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
The local weather guessers (Meteorologists) have mentioned the heavy rains and flooding in the UK. I was just wondering if any of the forum members have been affected and hoping not. Living in an area that has occasional flooding I can sympathize with those who might be in harms way.

Joe

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: UK Flooding
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »
I hope everyone is safe? I heard the other day that Meteorologist was Latin for "liar". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:13:48 AM »
Cumberland where the worst floods have been they had 12" of rain in twenty four hours, is just over an hour drive from us we regularly visit there to walk the hills, we call the area the lake district.

This is a photo in good weather the lakes called Ulswater

One police man sadly lost his life trying to turn traffic away from a bridge that had just been swept away with the force of water. Many bridges have been swept away or damaged beyond safe use, cutting off many areas, but the emergency services seem to be on top of things they are building an emergency railway station to keep one town supplied.

The saddest part is to see the damage to peoples homes and property.

Thanks for your concern.

Stew

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:53:40 AM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »
Joe, it's surprising how local these weather events can be in the UK. On the day in question, very severe weather warnings had been issued for Cumbria (the worst affected area) which is around 100 miles north of me,  and for north west Wales (about 80 miles to the east). Round here, no problems were predicted, and there was just the occasional period of drizzle.

I don't live in a flood affected area, thank goodness. It must be heartbreaking to see your home or business destroyed.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »
Another person who lost his life (arguably) protecting the public.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/141550/Bulldozer-tragedy

Hardly a peep about this one though.  :scratch:

But then he has no Propaganda Machine does he ??

Yes, it is a tragedy  when life is lost under such circumstances.
It would be nice if the system was evened up a bit.

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
Very sad news that Dave.

Unfortunately the Express can't seem to get the story right.

It wasn't a woman crushed, as stated under the picture, but a man, and it was a digger, not a bulldozer.

Can't trust any of 'em to get it right.

John

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:53:26 PM »
What about the poor bobby who lost his life directing traffic on friday?....Poor bugger was only doing his job...He was due to celebrate his birthday on Saturday too....... :(

My heart goes out to his family...

I was over at Penrith at the weekend visitingmy son, we went to Carlisle and could see an awful lot of water....One of the rivers had its level the same as the surrounding field...

Yesterday we met him again in Middlesbrough( for his Masters graduation) and he drove across during the morning and it was still raining.... :coffee:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors