Author Topic: Smart and Brown 1024  (Read 22250 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: Smart and Brown 1024
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »
I've got a bit of room to got yet John .....  :ddb:

This is neat, I've not seem this on a tailstock before, proper flat for the tang, drill press yes, lathe no .... I wonder why it's not used more often?

Great for my bigger drills, now I can drill out to 1" before boring  :)

The cupboard reveals part of the suds tank ... yuk, that'll need a clean ...
And the mounting points, I'm wondering about making some feet with threaded rods for levelling?

Handy shelf, I think there should be a collet rack on the back of the door like my Model L. Shame, I find the other one really handy.

There seems to be two sets of outside soft jaws for the 6" chuck and no hard jaws...

This is the full set for all the metric threads. Will need some additional for BA and Diam threads. They don't look difficult to make as they are quite plain. I can't really see me cutting BA? Maybe a worm though but not the full range I'm sure?

You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »
Darren,

Don't most tailstocks self eject if you wind it right back anyway? I know the myford didn't though, the screw came through the handwheel which was annoying and you had to put a bar up the end and tap it to get any chuck or whatever out.

I use BA threads all the time!

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »
Yes it will self eject in the normal way. What I found interesting is the taper turned into a flat to hold the tang, just like on the drill press.

There is no way a drill or chuck will spin with this set-up .... and no need for a Bogs job either .....  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 03:24:24 AM »
Forgot to mention I have a 3MT 1" drill too and it's pretty useful - with a small pilot hole it will churn through the lot in 1 go!

Nick

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »
Under bonnet I found this ... seems nice and clean inside even if it isn't on the outside ...

Motor, Gearbox and lube pump

On one end of the motor is this thing flapping about? I think it's an electrical brake but doesn't seem to be connected to anything.
It appears to hinge onto a row of contacts, how I'm not yet sure  :scratch:

This is an extra and it seems whoever bought this new had all the extras included. Such as the "Inch" switch ...

Offline ariz

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
Darren I don't post often (don't know why  ::)  few free time, job, family, etc.) but this time I cannot resist

you have there one of the most beautiful lathe I have ever seen  :bugeye:

I'm sure that restore it (only on the aesthetic side, because 'under' it's ok  :bow:) will be a pleasure, and it will give you many satisfaction in the shop for years and years

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »
Well you do realise Ariz that your lathe is/was an inspiration to Smart and Brown  :thumbup:

Thanks you for your kind words, I'm sure she will be pleased to hear your words ....  :wave: