Author Topic: wooden models  (Read 9101 times)

Offline chuck foster

wooden models
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
i know most of you guys (bog's)  :lol:  don't like wood but here is some neat looking models made of wood.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

bogstandard

Re: wooden models
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »
You guys have got me all wrong, I love wood, especially bits that have been shaped by a true artisans hands, in fact, almost anything as long as they are not my hands that are involved.

Bogs

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 04:59:46 PM »
Chuck

Nice find. Are those all the collection of one person or are there several collections there. Some of them have gone into a lot of detail to create their miniature piece of farm equipment. I must troll the www and see what else I can find. Thanks for showing them to us Chuck. :ddb: :ddb:

John
I have always figured that you appreciated an artist, no matter what the medium is and again you haven't disappointed me. :) :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline khand

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
Nice looking tractors. Hard to tell they are made from wood.

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
bogs i think you wood no no would be very good at wood working................right down to the tenth of a thou.  :beer: :)

don: they were all made by the same guy.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »
Chuck,

I honestly think that accuracy is my problem when working with wood. I want to work to very close tolerances, and the sort of wood that gets into my grubby hands won't allow that to be done.

So I don't think it is true hatred of the medium, but frustration because I can't master it.

We all have our own little successes, and wood isn't one of mine.

John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
John

I know exactly what you are saying. I have worked with wood a lot and have a similar problem. If the dimension is 1.250 inches then that's what I want and that's what I get. The problem is the 1.250" dimension today might be 1.260" tomorrow or in a couple of weeks could be 1.240". Now the nice sliding slop free fit that you had when you built it is either sloppy or it has jammed up tight. Changes in humidity play h&ll with wood and each species is different than the other. As well there is a different rate of expansion for thickness and for width. For length there is very little expansion if any. If you took a log and cut a 12" x 12" x 12" square out of it, it would never measure that again. Some of the dimensions would change by more than 1". The harder you try to be accurate the more frustrating it becomes sometimes.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
I can not claim to really be any sort of 'craftsman'  but I do like to use wood where it is easier or quicker.  Of course wood is the only choice for some things,  which would you prefer, wooden chop sticks or nice North Korean stainless steel ones?
From the den of The Artful Bodger

bogstandard

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 03:25:03 AM »
I use plastic Chinese ones.

Plate to gob in one easy action. Doesn't matter if it is a bulldozer or a toothpick.

But you are correct that for some things, the brown stuff is perfect. Cast iron or brass doesn't burn too well in a wood burning stove :lol:

John

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:21:23 PM »
Chuck,

I honestly think that accuracy is my problem when working with wood. I want to work to very close tolerances, and the sort of wood that gets into my grubby hands won't allow that to be done.

So I don't think it is true hatred of the medium, but frustration because I can't master it.

We all have our own little successes, and wood isn't one of mine.

John

Same here John... I love the look of well oiled and polished exotic woods... To bad I can hold a tolerance for the life of me. I wish I could tho!

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.