Author Topic: DIY Audio  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
DIY Audio
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »
Anybody else here into DIY audio stuff? I am dying to build my own hifi sound system.

Something like this:

or this

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: DIY Audio
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »
I like this one!

and this

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:32:34 AM by Brass_Machine »
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Kludge

Re: DIY Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
Anybody else here into DIY audio stuff? I am dying to build my own hifi sound system.

Moons ago I built my own audio equipment then quit for a long time.  This was when 1625s (essentially 12 volt 807s) were cheap and plentiful.  They're not now but I've gotten an affinity for things like the UX-245 which fits my Steampunk "attitude", especially in an appropriate enclosure with some speakers remade to match.  Aside from the computer, I don't have any sort of a stereo system so this may be a bit of odd kill (not over, not under, just odd) but it sounds (no pun intended) like a fun way to finally get away from this @#$%^&* headset.

In the meantime, I do have a set of computer speakers that need new amplifiers, two for the side speakers and a third with some base boost for the central "subwoofer"(?).  The crossovers have to be redesigned since they give chinsy (sp?) a whole new definition.  The amplifiers and crossovers will be separated from the speakers rather than built into the woofer thingie.  (Hmmm ... maybe another use for my multitude of cigar boxes?) 

Side note: I think that the concept of a subwoofer cutting off at 35-40 Hz is ludicrous when the woofers from the 60s & 70s typically dropped to 20 Hz as the lower 3db point.  But then systems (amplifiers, speakers and everything else) were essentially flat between 3 db points at 20 Hz and 20 kHz as a rule.    I had an subwoofer (AR, I think) that wandered on down to 10 Hz - subsonic but really cool for the "feel" it offered.  Sorry ... one of many pet peeves.

Eric, the web sites you mentioned elsewhere I think are going to provide the amplifiers.  Thank you for them.

Best regards,

Kludge