Author Topic: 16 frikken degrees tonight!!  (Read 12966 times)

Offline websterz

16 frikken degrees tonight!!
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »
That's -9 C for you folks that don't do Fahrenheit. I have a ton of stuff to do in my unheated shop tomorrow...the one with all the holes and gaps in the walls...where it's 5 degrees colder than outside! Just making it through the door to switch on the lights will be a test of will. I hate winter!!!  :bang:

Next spring I have some serious insulating and wall repair to do. I am plumbed for natural gas so I think a nice big forced air wall furnace will also e on the shopping list.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: 16 frikken degrees tonight!!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
Webster

Next spring you won't need the insulation, it will be plenty warm.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »
Webster

Next spring you won't need the insulation, it will be plenty warm.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Which is why it didn't get done THIS year.  :bang:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »
Here in sunny Manchester  :lol: :lol: -9 C would be considered very very cold indeed. It rarely gets below -5 C, but even so, I share your dislike of winter. You might consider a low-frequency infra-red radiant heater, as used outside pubs, bars and pavement cafes over here to keep me warm when I'm outside puffing at my pipe. We use them over the firing points in the indoor ranges of my .22 target club, because any other way of heating leaky 100' x 25' buildings which are only used for 3 hours each evening would be impractical and expensive. They give the sensation of warmth on the skin, without warming the intervening air.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »
Some means of warming the machine handles would be a great help.......   :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 04:27:54 AM »
Some means of warming the machine handles would be a great help.......   :thumbup:

David D

Don't they have heated handle bars on motor bikes:------------------ :smart:  now there's an idea  :proj:

:D :D :D :D :D

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:36:24 AM »
I put a small heater on in my garage yesterday, now remember the doors are not sealed yet, hopefully I'll do that this weekend.

Midday 5.6C, half hr later 10.2C and the heater was on and off with the thermostat, mostly off ...... Nice  :) I find 10C just fine.

Now to get the door sealed and leave the heater on over winter .... Insulation, insulation, insulation  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
Darren,

It'll take a couple of weeks for your machines to reach ambient temperature.

But once they do, everything becomes a lot more stable, as there will be like storage radiators all over the shop and when you touch a machine, you don't recoil back because of the cold.

Mine has been on a fair while now with a first walk in temp of 14 deg C, and it is soon up to 17 or 18 once the machines start running.

In my shop, it is t-shirts all year around.

All that for less than a penny an hour during the winter months.

John

tumutbound

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
All this talk of the cold makes me glad I live where I do.

In Sydney, a hard winter is one where you need to wear a jumper.  I don't even have a heater in my house.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 02:31:49 PM »
Yeah, but we can enjoy the sun in the summer, not hide from it  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:53:56 PM »
Here at southern Finland, coldest season has been between january and march, when it gets bit chilly. Anything between -15C and -35C.

Same pattern is to be expected in the future also.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 02:59:55 PM »
Here at southern Finland, coldest season has been between january and march, when it gets bit chilly. Anything between -15C and -35C.

Same pattern is to be expected in the future also.

And that's the South  :jaw:

I guess that's why no-one lives in the North then !!

Offline sorveltaja

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »
I guess that's why no-one lives in the North then !!

In fact, there lives a lot of polar bears people, who just doesn't mind the annual ice age ::).

Offline websterz

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 04:04:14 PM »

In Sydney, a hard winter is one where you need to wear a jumper.  I don't even have a heater in my house.

In Ponca City we don't have killer spiders.  :poke:

tumutbound

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »

Australian spiders get a bad rap. There's not that many that are really dangerous, there's probably only one or  two that can actually kill you.
Snakes on the other hand ...

Offline websterz

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »

Australian spiders get a bad rap. There's not that many that are really dangerous, there's probably only one or  two that can actually kill you.
Snakes on the other hand ...

That damn Sydney Funnelweb is enough to keep me from stopping by for a visit. :bugeye: Snakes I don't mind so much...spiders are the devil on 8 legs!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »
I think spiders get bad press they do a darn good job keeping the flies down.

This is my shop spider:- I call him Stanley

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:28 PM »
here is last years shop spider doing his best work

my shop/garage is were we have to keep the garbage cans so i get lots of fly's in my work space, so this guy got fed well.
come to think of it he kept the wife way to.............she hates spiders...........hmmmmm just for that i should adopt another spider :lol: :lol:

chuck  :wave:

hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline websterz

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 12:55:29 PM »
Well, today we got a break from the cold.  :bow: It is 48*F / 9*C, sunny, and no wind. A perfect day to open up the shop and do a little cleaning. It's been a few months since I have been able to attack it with the leaf blower and move all the dust back outside where it belongs.  :dremel: This will also give me a chance to plug a few holes and make the building a little easier to heat. I would take pics but mostly it's just open floor space and I don't want to make the 10'x10' guys jealous.  :poke:

No killer spiders either!  :lol: Although I did see a field mouse run along the wall the other day, the first one I have seen out there in the 3 years since we bought the house. The alley cats usually do a fine job in that regard.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
The other day our temp went to a -17 there goes the gas bill. Cliff

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »
Blimey, us lot in the UK moan a lot about the weather but -2C is about as bad as it gets  :bugeye: ........... I don't envy you guys ........ take care and "keep warm"  :zap:

CC

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
It is a beautiful sunny day here today!  We live within a few hundred metres of the Pacific which tends to moderate the temperatures somewhat although the winds can get a bit wearisome at times.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
John Hill:It is a beautiful sunny day here today!  We live within a few hundred metres of the Pacific...

I might need advice from you and any other NZ members, John. I've always wanted to visit NZ, and a woman I've known for 40 years wants to go there for a wedding in Aukland on 3 April. Her husband doesn't travel well, and she doesn't want to go 12,000 miles on her own so, being a widower, I volunteered myself as chaperon. No comments, please - there's no physical attraction at all. Plan at present is to land in Christchurch 2 weeks before the wedding, and work our way north, seeing the sights which I am assured by friends who have lived there as ex-pats are five-star spectacular.

But I'm hijacking the thread, so I'll start one of my own when plans firm up.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »
It is a beautiful sunny day here today!  We live within a few hundred metres of the Pacific which tends to moderate the temperatures somewhat although the winds can get a bit wearisome at times.

Hey with global warming you'll have that ocean front right at your doorsteps.  :lol:  :lol: As he talks the temps out side in lovely up state New York is going down to 14* F (-10* C )

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline jatt

• chookshed engineer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
Gee some of u folks from the North could leave your freezer doors open for warmth.

Its a very pleasant 26 deg C here at the moment.  Think I might put some shorts on.  Down here minus 1 deg C at any time of year is considered a cold nite.  When I lived in the tropical North I used to hear the locals complain when it dropped to a miserable 17 deg C, not to mention put on jumpers.  I kid u not.

Mind u last Summer it got to the mid 40s on a few days.  The wind was so hot it here it killed some of the plants.  Leave a piece of steel outside and u almost need gloves to pick it up.

UK - Summer is that u call it!!!   :lol:

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Forget about the price of gold and oil, its the price of beer that matters.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 08:23:12 PM »
Blimey, us lot in the UK moan a lot about the weather but -2C is about as bad as it gets  :bugeye: ........... I don't envy you guys ........ take care and "keep warm"  :zap:

CC

Not typically no, but I did measure -27C one winter right in the mountains. Down between two mountains there is a small lake that I used to frequent. It had frozen over so hard the ice expanded with such a force it split across the middle. One side had been pushed up and the ice showing was thicker than I am tall.

All the reeds had 2" of ice on them and the nearby quarry lakes were frozen over (only ever seen that once in my life) The whole quarry floor was thick with ice balls up to 1" round where they had been blowing around in the wind. Damned hard to walk on .... !!

On the way down from the mountain we were hit by a snow blizard and had to take shelter between some rocks for around an hour. It was too dangerous to keep walking when you couldn't see your feet.

Those were the days, we used to get winters back then unlike now. But that was an exceptional year.

I was 15 so be winter of 1981. I used to walk across the mountains with our dog almost daily, a Welsh Collie. Sometimes over one mountain and up to the top of the next. Imagine a kid doing that today !!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
Minus 2 outside and plus 30 in the workshop, gotta love that wood stove.
Even get about a tonne of wood offcut delivered every week so the local furniture factory don't have to pay to tip it.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 08:34:49 PM »
Plus 30  :bugeye:

You're spoilt , don't you find that a bit warm ?

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
Ah, Darren, when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we used to get proper seasonal weather here in Sale. But the last respectably cold winter I can recall was in '63, when I was 16. It was easier to get the 2 miles to Altrincham (it had something to do with a girl, as most leisure activities did at that age) by cycling down the frozen Bridgewater Canal than along the roads.

But the summer of that year was great - spent it hitchhiiking round Europe. Like you, I don't suppose many parents would give their blessing to that sort of adventure today.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2009, 08:58:49 PM »
They used to hold a faye on the Thames when it froze over .... imagine the Thames freezing to hold that sort of event today ... can anyone remember it freezing?