Author Topic: I just realized...  (Read 5486 times)

Offline websterz

I just realized...
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:33:09 PM »
...that I never posted a step by step on my x2 power feed. Someone on another forum wanted to see it so I took it apart and got pics and a video of it today. Here's the transcribed post from the other site:

I apologize for the messy machine and bench. Wait, no I don't. I am glad the place is messy...too busy to clean it up.  :thumbup:

Here's a side view of the unit removed from my mill. I built the housing out of 1" aluminum angle and 18 gauge aluminum sheet as that is what I had on hand at the time. The end plate is a piece of aluminum plate that I drilled out to accommodate a 1/2" ID bronze bushing. The screw slots allow some degree of adjustment when the unit is bolted to the mill.

To couple the motor to the leadscrew I turned a brass sleeve that holds a pin. The coupling itself has J shaped slots that the pin rides in. I rotate the brass sleeve and the spring pressure pushes it onto the slotted end of the leadscrew, engaging the power feed. Sliding the sleeve back and rotating about 1/4 turn locks the pin into the J shaped slots and disengages the feed.

The other end of the coupler is tapped 3/8-24 and screws directly onto the drill motor's shaft. A little blue loctite keeps it in place.

The support frame for the motor is made of aluminum angle that holds an aluminum ring which actually holds the motor in place. The 4 set screws allow me to adjust the motor's position, kind of like a 4 jaw chuck. This adjustment, plus the slots in the end plate, makes aligning the motor and leadscrew much easier.

The cover holds a small cooling fan for drawing air thru the motor control box, and the motor controller itself.

Here is the motor control unit I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Controller-Device-Modulator-LX066/dp/B000WYAN92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1260234307&sr=8-3

My power supply is a modified ATX power supply from a PC. I recommend a 450 watt or larger power supply. Here are the plans for modifying that:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Yet-Another-ATX-Power-Supply-Mod/

And finally, here's a video of the power feed in action. It sounds much louder than it really is...the mic on my camera is really sensitive.

http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/websterzdesign/?action=view&current=100_0471.flv

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:17:02 PM by websterz »
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: I just realized...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
Looks very effective. The motor seems to be scavenged from a cordless drill, with a torque setting. Is it possible to be a bit casual about the end of the cut, by fixing a stop for the table and letting the motor run until you hear the torque thingy starting to click when the stop is reached? I was thinking of using a wiper motor, but that would need limit switches. I have a cheap drill or two with torque limiters lying around (not worth replacing the batteries) and running the table up to a simple mechanical stop would be easier, and probably more accurate on repeated cuts, than using switches.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:19:33 PM »
Looks very effective. The motor seems to be scavenged from a cordless drill, with a torque setting. Is it possible to be a bit casual about the end of the cut, by fixing a stop for the table and letting the motor run until you hear the torque thingy starting to click when the stop is reached? I was thinking of using a wiper motor, but that would need limit switches. I have a cheap drill or two with torque limiters lying around (not worth replacing the batteries) and running the table up to a simple mechanical stop would be easier, and probably more accurate on repeated cuts, than using switches.

Andy

Exactly! The variable clutch mechanism makes for perfect over-run protection.  :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
what a Great idea , :headbang:,,,,,,,,thats made me think that i should make a power feed for my mill ,,i have an old PC power supply some were and some dc motors  :proj:

Thanks for sharing
Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
Websterz  -  thanks for posting. I`m currently doing something similar but I`m going to use a stepper motor to run the power feed. I`ve made the bracket but I`m thinking  of using an oldham coupling to link the motor shaft to the lead screw. Anyway, great post, thanks...

Chris