Author Topic: gingerneer's shed  (Read 12108 times)

Offline gingerneer

gingerneer's shed
« on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
Hi guys, just some photos of my workshop.

First up some photos of my Zyto lathe.

Now just a shot from the door way, you would not belive that i have had a tidy up..... At least i can get to the other end of the shed now

The last weekend saw me sorting through all the cardboard boxes and ice cream cartens, they have made way for these clear boxes. It was a reall eye opener as a found "stuff" that i had stashed away and forgotten about. Before all this took up double the area its in now.

A close up of the fixings box, this shows the metric tray. Just in the last few days after tidying this lot up i have found it less stress full than trying to hunt for a bolt or nut as i use to!

The Dewinton

bogstandard

Re: gingerneer's shed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:04:53 AM »
Ginger,

Nice shop, compact and bijou as they say.

Nice Zyto as well, based around the Myford ML2 series I think, but with an extra casting foot under the tailstock. The first thing I did with mine was to modify the saddle crank. I just couldn't get used to the non instinctive movement, turning the handle away from the chuck to make it go closer, I had a few very close encounters with that. I stuck an extra gear on, that not only changed direction, but also geared it down some, so that finer movements could be made.

John

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »
Hi Ginger

Nice compact shop just how I like them, thats a fair chunk of boiler copper tube you have there what are you planning to make with it ?.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline jim

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
thats a nice workshop you've got there :thumbup:

that window wouldn't last long with me!!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
Hi Ginger

Nice set up and I am looking forward to see that De Winton steaming!

John
The Artful Bodger
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:18 PM »
gingerneer: nice cozy little shop you have, and i really like the lathe.

i have to agree with jim on the window  :bugeye:
along time ago i was machining a muffler casting for one of my full size hit and miss engines and the casting came out of the chuck and went right through the window in my dads shop. well dad was steamed, he looked at me and said "now what are you going to do about that"? i replied "go out in the back yard and get
the casting" the rest of the story cannot be printed here due to foul language  :lol: :lol:

any way again ............nice shop and great tools/machines.

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline gingerneer

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
Thank you for the replys guys. The photo below shows a full size De winton, its one of those love or hate type looks. I love the quirky look, i will do its own thread, just need to get some more photos.

I have been upgrading the cross slide, if you look hard you can see the mod in the pics above. I was offered a bigger lathe, but i am sticking with the Zyto for now. Just last night i was putting the QCTP on and i have a keyless chuck for the tailstock. She's been going to 50 years i would like to see if i can get another 50 years use out of her.

chuck foster the lathe has been in its place for 5 years now, i have had some scary moments but the glass is still there!!!

bogstandard I have been moving the carrige when cutting with the lead screw, its got a handle at the tailstock end, i know long term its not good for the lead screw but i guess with the age of the lathe i could do with making a new one. I like the idea of puting a idler gear in so the handle moves the carrige the right way. Thats a another project for the list.... Are there any other mods you would recomend?

Gingerneer

bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:45 AM »
Ginger,

Next time I go down to my mates house, I will see if I can do a bit of a stripdown on my old lathe, and take a few piccies, to show you what I got up to.

The feed gear setup made it a joy to use.

John

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:48:12 AM »
Gingerneer

Looks like a nice well organized shop. I think a person has to have a good reorganization every once and a while just to remind himself what little treasures he has and where he has them. I think that I would have to agree with you on the De Winton, it would take a bit of getting use to. I look forward to seeing more about this engine as you progress. Thanks for showing.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
Great shop there!!! Glad you are using that lathe:o) I kind of wish I had a window in my shop. I can't wait to see your steam engine come together. It looks like a lot of fun.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline bramley51

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
Geez,Gingerneer,you've got an amazing amount of stuff in there.Very well organized too.
And I'm grumbling my 20x10' is too small :D.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 09:26:58 AM »
Hey Mate, nice organised little shop you got there. Just need a belt drive conversion on that chester conquest...  :proj:

Chris

Offline gingerneer

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
bramley51 I have just got to keep it tidy, i have been out tonight and the bench is starting to get covered again...... I do also shared it with my farther, most of what is under the benchs is his tools and "stuff". The boxes have made a big diffrence through.

craynerd Its on the long list of projects, but some where down the bottow at the moment, i have only got it back into working order after something went on the circut board. I have already replaced the platic gear with a brass replacement i machined. I do find that i get a lot of chatter when milling, i think it can do with a total strip down and clean/adjustment, possible replace the bearings in the spindle. Then theres the plan to fit DRO on it.......
What mods (other than the belt drive) have you done to yours?

Gingerneer 

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »
Nice looking shop you've got there.

Where did you get the clear boxes from, the thinner ones look a really useful size

Cheers
Jim