Author Topic: My new acquisition in the lathe department  (Read 4871 times)

Offline ieezitin

My new acquisition in the lathe department
« on: December 13, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
I have been meaning to post this for a while now, I want to show you my new acquisition in the lathe department. It’s a Logan 200 that I stole at an auction for $200. As some of you may know I buy refurbish and sell machinery all to pay for my own small business / hobby.

So! I need another lathe like a hole in the head  ::) but what made me keep this little gem was the fact that  the previous owner was a clock maker and all his machines and tooling was in first class condition, and they were selling some of his work there too and the quality and craftsmanship was outstanding. Not being familiar with Logan lathes I really never paid too much attention to them, this ones action, feel and layout impressed me and seeing what his only lathe produced convinced me to give it a home in my shop.

It came with a taper attachment, steady rest, 3-jaw and 4-jaw chuck, the swing is 12 inch x 30inch. it’s a strange motor set-up and belt change arrangement, strange to me anyways, it rides on one hump the opposite runs on the flat, this girl glides and rides superbly and I was excited to throttle her up. Its funny when I was ready to get going I had just to stare at it as it was very new type of machine and took some getting used to.

I have produced some very nice work off this machine and it’s a keeper, It dose not have any change gears with it so I cant use the lead screw, a quick change is the next purchase for it other than that I am very happy with it. Please if any one has one and can give me any pointers on this machine I would love to hear from you.

This pic is the unit stripped down, the drive assembly set aside

This is the drive being lifted up

This is the bed  being lifted up

This shot is the unit installed

Its home in perspective at the back of the shop

And this is a set of flange pins i have made on the unit, the material is 316L stainless,

Thanks Anthony
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: My new acquisition in the lathe department
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »
I like the drill storage. You have a better picture of how it is built? Thanks:o)

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: My new acquisition in the lathe department
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
Anthony,

Nice piece of equipment. Looks very clean. Scott Logan of Logan Actuator might be able to help if you need parts.

I have a Logan. Can't remember right now what it is. I believe it's around the early 70's. If you do some searching around Madmodder you'll find a pic of it I'm sure. Check out my Bridgeport thread. I think you'll see the lathe in there.

Regards,
bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds