Author Topic: Adapting a Car Wheel Spacer .. and stuff  (Read 7724 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Adapting a Car Wheel Spacer .. and stuff
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:00:10 AM »
Having my son around over the holidays has put a damper on my own projects, but not necessarily on the workshop itself.

Trying to keep a 15yr old entertained in an area he does not live can be taxing .... unless daddy has a workshop !!

He's been playing around with cars and motorbikes for a few years now and has really become quite competent with the mechanics.
Changing spark plugs is long mastered, now he changes engines and back axles without a moments thought.

Having changed the back axle on his car to a wider one he needed to make some adaptation to wheel spacing.

So using the lathe he modified some wheel spacers from one size fitting to another. He machined out the centre concentric and knocked a steel spacer to adapt to a different size. These are a press fit.
The faces were also skimmed true as the original units were far from true despite being expensive top range units.

The two thumb nuts are made from SS to hold down the rocker cover on the engine.

Another job tackled was adapting a larger radiator fan using by cutting off the fittings from the old one and welding them onto the new one. Another SS thumbscrew was also turned which you can just make out on the centre right.

He did it all, I just offered suggestions and instructions.... whilst watching over my new lathe of course  :lol:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Rob.Wilson

Re: Adapting a Car Wheel Spacer .. and stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:10:03 AM »
Nice one Darren

Its great to see a young lad with an interest in  engineering ,you must be well chuffed  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What car dose he have ?,dose he do auto cross?

Regards Rob

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
I am wondering how the spacer & wheel mount to the axle.  Can I assume that he replaced the studs in  the rotor with longer ones?

Here, we often use wheel spacers on offroad vehicles where the axles are commonly mismatched.  The  design though is to mount the spacer to the rotor using the stock studs, counterbored for the nuts.  Then another set of studs is pressed into the spacer for mounting the wheel.

The only downside to spacers on the front axle is that there is increased bending force on the knuckle, meaning that the ball joints wear out faster.  Of course, we beat on those axles a lot harder than normal driving does.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »
Thanks Rob, yes well pleased with the situation. What surprised me was the ease he took to the lathe and how each part of the job was tackled.
It is great to see the interest and natural ability, sadly I'm not sure how useful this will be to someone starting out in todays work environment as he clearly wishes to enter this area. Being a car mechanic is not really what he wants to be ... but what else is left in todays world?

Sadly nothing as glamorous as competition excitement. Just a boy with a car along with some enthusiasm thrown it. Luckily he does have access to farm land to release his energy.

Kirk, in this case longer wheel bolts are used, the car hub fits into the spacer recess and the new steel spacer fits into the wheel maintaining correct location and support .... hopefully !!  :thumbup:
There was a mismatch of hub to wheel fitting so these are acting as adaptors.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Darren,

this helped me solve a problem on the wifes VW. Just got new rims for the winter tires. Come to find out it's universal rim. The center hole is to large and it's a pain to line up the lug bolts. I think your son has solved that problem for me.
Thanks for posting this.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Bernd, the bolts should not be supporting the wheel, merely clamping it onto the hub. This would be far too much strain on the bolts.

The location and support comes from the central boss.

:thumbup:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
Darren,

Believe it or not I thought the same thing. But I've seen this on the guy's 1/4 mile drag cars. The bolts center and hold the wheel.

VW has always had there rims supported by the center hole. These rims are not VW manufactured. Guess were they were made? And being universal they have several bolt hole patterns.

Bernd

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 04:16:42 PM »
I had this discussion on another forum recently.  The studs/bolts should not support the wheel; they should be centered in the mountinjg holes by the conical end of the lugnuts.  The studs are in compression and not in shear.  Nor should the center hub support the wheel.  Rather, the wheel and tire are supported by the clamping force to the wheel mounting surface.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »
Looks like I'll be making a ring to fit between the wheel hole and the center hub.

Thanks for the info Kirk.

Bernd