Author Topic: Hand Cranked Organ winter project  (Read 50292 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Hand Cranked Organ winter project
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »
Thanks for the links PT. They will come in handy. I almost didn't build this. One reason being, I have never read sheet music before. Don't know the first thing about it. I'm still a little nervous as to whether I can make music or just noise :lol:

Well what is music but orginized noise, right?  :lol:

Can't wait to hear what kind of orginized noise your box will make when complete. Orange Blosom Speical comes to mind.  :med:

Bernd
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:23:03 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
I have glue all over my fingers :dremel: Today I got all the main parts of the whistles glued togather\o/ I think I spent 5 or six hours on them. It took every little clamp I have.

I used a piece of aluminum angle as a jig to keep the pieces square.

Here are all the little square wood tubes. I have to glue in the bottom and the piece for the air chamber.

More tomorrow.....
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:58 PM »
Looking good Wes, starting to come together. Keep up the good work.

Nick

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
Thanks Nick!!!

I've been working on the end pieces today. There are 2 pieces that form the bottom and the chamber where the air comes in. I cut out the pieces and started gluing them in. The 3 biggest whistles were slightly out of square. I just pulled them over while I was gluing the bottom piece in.

The pieces were cut a little long. They stand proud of the face slightly. After the glue dries, I'll sand them down flush with the surface.

Nearly half done with the whistles\o/

Next step will be to start cutting the pieces for the lips. They will be made out of Ash.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »
They're neat, Wes.  Even B&W pics.  How about that?

One batch of these has an angled piece of wood in the ends.  Are these separate pieces from the ones that have the two small square blocks in the end? 
I'm trying to figure out how these work, and how you tune them.

Dean

Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Hey Dean, The angled pieces are just setting there so they don't get lost. It is the short piece that came off the front piece. I used part of it and cut another to make the two pieces that form the chamber where the air will enter the whistle. Here is another B&W of the ends sanded down flush. I have about 8 this far now.

The last ten I'm going to let my wife glue. She has smaller fingers :clap: And can handle them better.

There will be a couple of front cover pieces that will make the whistle work. Then there is a stopper that you can slide up an down to adjust the note.

I need to get some brass tubing. I'm going to rework how the tubes fasten to the pipes.
Wesley P

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
wes do you ever sleep  :scratch:

you seam to be getting allot of work done in a short period of time and you have the wife involved in this project............you are one lucky man. i can't get anyone in my family to help with what i work on.

keep up the good work  :dremel: :thumbup:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
I sleep pretty good. I don't watch much TV. Sometimes I spend too much time on the puter though :scratch: I'd be happier if we went to 50 hour days. I think I could catch up on everything. :lol:

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Wesley P

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 03:12:09 AM »
Great work Wes  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: an interesting project I'm watching this one carefully.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »
he is another site, Fo recording of mech music, he just bought out the other outfit  great stuff at not bad prices. For use people that the only musical instrument I can play is an IPod  :lol:

Band Organ Music make sure you check out the links page.

your project is coming along great!
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
Thanks for the links PT!!! I need all the help I can get :lol:

I'd like to play this on my organ. My Grandpa sand this when I was a little boy.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:33 PM »
Tonight Ten of the whistles are ready for the hardwood lips to make them functional. I cut out the last 20 pieces so my wife can glue them up tonight. Tomorrow I'll start making the lips. They will have a teeny bit of mill work on them. I'll post more pictures then\o/
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 06:12:25 AM »
Still plugging away at these whistles. I started cutting out the cover pieces that will make the whistles work. They were drawn up flat across the top. Mine will take a little more work , but I think they look better.

:wave: :wave: :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Today my wife glued her pieces togather and sanded the whistles down. I'll get to cutting out the rest of the hardwood for the small whistles.

The plywood showed up also. We can start out cutting the pieces for the front to mount the whistles to. Then the pieces for the billows. I still need to find some leather for that. I also need some tubing to supply the whistles with air. Still a lot to do\o/
Wesley P

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »
For the leather your best best for small amounts is http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/ check they may have a store near you. the only other ones I have are wholesale large minimum.

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
Thanks for that Glen. I forgot about them. I'll get an order coming. I don't think it will take long to build the billows.
Wesley P

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 10:59:50 AM »
how-to-make-tune-and-voice-reedpipes

Will also put it in the resource list
 Download is $4.95 or you can get it as a print on demand type book mailed to you. For $13.95

Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
glen

Offline ronginger

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 06:41:36 PM »
For leather Id go to http://www.columbiaorgan.com/col/ They have the real stuff for organs. I ordered small quantities from them

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
Thanks Ron!!! I have an email off to them checking on the prices for the pieces that I need.

Wesley P

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Powder Keg

Any updates to report? Just a gentle reminder.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
Thanks Don,

Summer actives (fishing:o) and  work have distracted me. It is still fresh in my mind though. I'm going to see Birk next weekend and check out his organ in detail\o/

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
I'm not touching that last sentence, no way, no how.  :jaw:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 06:06:04 AM »
 Me neither :doh:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
So Wes , did you check out his organ ,, was it satisfactory  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob  

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »
Thanks Don,

Summer actives (fishing:o) and  work have distracted me. It is still fresh in my mind though. I'm going to see Birk next weekend and check out his organ in detail\o/

Wes

OK Wes, we are no longer interested in Birks organ. How is your organ progressing before the summer activities get in the way again? Inquiring minds want to know. :poke: :poke:  :lol: :lol:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best