Author Topic: PeterE makes a QCTP to a C3 lathe  (Read 17928 times)

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
PeterE makes a QCTP to a C3 lathe
« on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
While waiting to get delivery of a 1.5 mm FC3 end mill to mill the slots in the port face of the Trojan, I decided to continue with my version of a QCTP (Quick Change Tool Post). I have been looking at various ready-made items, but found them too expensive for my liking and after finding the drawing(s) at the Ishimura site I knew I had found what I was looking for.

The only difference is that I had to modify the size to better fit my SIEG C3 machine. when that was done I started to hack out the main block an old cast iron iron  :palm:

Some finishing off made it more looking like a what was a tool post to be.

The locking sleeve came next out of a piece of 40 mm BMS.

And the two put together it looks as follows.

The came a centercolumn to be the center and the clamp to secure the whole thing to the lathe top slide. Some arms and at a test setup it looks like this - sorry for no pics in between).

At this stage the whole project ran into a standstill until just recently. I badly wanted the QCTP functionality and a desire to finish something off - well partly that is - made me have a go at it again.

A 12 mm dia silver steel plunger was made to suitable length to act as locking piston and an arm of suitable design was attached to the sleeve and finally a lick of paint giving the same test setup the following look.

As can be seen there is a first tool holder as well!  :D  a typical standard one.

I made a batch of 12 basic parts to become new tool holders. A few of the other types made so far are:

The boring bar holder

The threading tool holder Mike Cox type but with a dove tail instead of a mounting bar.

This is a flip-up variant which looks like below when flipped up

... and finally one of the standard types to be. Only drilling and threading left to do.

The QCTP works very well and locks the holders firmly and repeatably as intended. More holder of other types will show up every now and then.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: PeterE makes a QCTP to a C3 lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
Nice job, Peter. Must be a relief to get it completed after two years
 http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45579

Still quicker than me, though. An X axis power feed for my milling machine was started at about the same time, and is still a pile of half-finished parts .

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:33:53 PM »
Nice job, Peter. Must be a relief to get it completed after two years
 http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=45579

Still quicker than me, though. An X axis power feed for my milling machine was started at about the same time, and is still a pile of half-finished parts .

Andy
Andy,

Two years  :jaw: is it really that long ago  :palm:  well, yes it is a relief to finally get it on the way.

Thanks for pointing out the model engineer forums thread, in the name of consequence I probably should add the latest developments even if those are found in another thread on said forum.

So then, may I dare you to finish your parts and show some pictures on the way? Been thinking of that as well but too far down my list as it is.

BR

/Peter

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »
This is straying from your topic, Peter, but my power feed is intended to be something like the one Mike shows here:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-power-feed.html
The electrics are built (Mike's switching circuit is an improved version of one I designed to provide for a slow cut and quick return), but what is holding me up is designing an enclosure for everything. I don't want this to be any higher than the mill table, and needs to be stood 50mm" off the end of the table to allow  for full X axis travel.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »
No problems with detours Andy, Iīll bring it back   :D

But the idea of a power feed is actually very interesting after having wound the handwheels quite a few turns by now.

Please start a thread (if you havenīt done that already) I will be watching with great interest!

More holders will be displayed as they get ready.

BR

/Peter

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
Got some shop time this weekend and nearly finished the next special for my QCTP - a spotting tool.

Ever since trying to put holes on a proper circle away from the lathe I have wanted this type of add-on. It is simply a standrd block with a hole right through in which a small spindle is placed. In one end a fitting for a 2/5 mm center drill (BS2?) and a crank in the other.

As you can see, the distance piece/sleeve between the crank and the housing is still to be made.

The reason for the long crank end is to get away from the top slide so my fingers can pass.

As can be seen, the crank is quite close to the top slide even though it is angled 15 degrees from the centerline.

Will show a picture of it as ready.

BR

/Peter

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
Got the last bits done for the spotting tool this evening.

A set screw secures an ordinary 2/5 center drill and the quite long tail end has got a sleeve to stop axial movements. Two oil holes for the brass bearings and a securing screw for the crank finishes off the whole thingy.

Next up are some more standard tool holders for the rest of the bunch.

BR

/Peter

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Nicely done Peter  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Interesting spotting tool , thats a new one on me , how are you indexing the chuck ? 

Rob

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
Thanks Rob!

I got the idea for it from George H Thomasīs book on Model Engineering but skipped the gears he used. Had to prolong the axle a bit to get well past the tool post though.

The chuck is indexed using my home made headstock indexer http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,5691.0.html

Should work fine I think.

BR

/Peter

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
Bumping this one up again.

Had to machine a bunch of short pieces nipped in the chuck, I felt a need for a bump aligner or what it is called.

An old roller blade bearing on the end of a short piece of square bar fitted to a narrowed-down toolholder. This end is for aligning short pieces close to the chuck jaws. The square bar can pivot in its center and is locked in position to the tool holder by a thumb screw and a shallow recess. 

Unscrewing the thumb screw it is possible to revolve the bar to use the other end for aligning longer stuff to the lathe axis.

Not complicated, and very useful!

BR

/Peter