Author Topic: Reforming rifle brasses  (Read 7789 times)

Kludge

Reforming rifle brasses
« on: July 31, 2008, 06:31:55 PM »
I have a small problem.  I have some rifle brasses - specifically Sharps .45-70 and .45-90 - that are slightly tapered.  I would like to make them cylindrical so they can become low pressure air/steam engine cylinders but I'm not wholey sure how to manage that trick.  The annealing isn't a hard part.  Actually, that's pretty easy.  It's the forming I'm not too sure about.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Reforming rifle brasses
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
Here's what i would try. Anneal casing. Make yourself a plug out of tool steel with a slight taper on the end so it will start into the casing. Make the plug to the largest dia. of the casing. Make sure though that the plug is nice and smooth. Put a touch of lube on the plug and gently tap into the casing to expand it.

Clear as mud right?   ::)  :P  ;D

Bernd

PS - Some I don't think this thread belongs in the foundry section.  ???
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:32:20 PM by Bernd »
Route of the Black Diamonds

Kludge

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »
Here's what i would try. Anneal casing. Make yourself a plug out of tool steel with a slight taper on the end so it will start into the casing. Make the plug to the largest dia. of the casing. Make sure though that the plug is nice and smooth. Put a touch of lube on the plug and gently tap into the casing to expand it.

Ah, cool.  I kept thinking some sort of roller thing and hadn't even considered a plug.  Thanks!

PS - Some I don't think this thread belongs in the foundry section.  ???

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it and annealing involves heat and foundries are heat and ... well, you see my reasoning, right?  I think the Lord High Poobahs can move it if need be and I certainly ask that they do if this is misplaced.

Best regards,

Kludge

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »
Nah its fine here. Heat and wacking the cr@p out of metal.

I agree with Bernd. I think I would try making a plug.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Kludge

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:54:13 AM »
Nah its fine here. Heat and wacking the cr@p out of metal.

I think I'm going to borrow (read as: steal) that description of forging. ;D

I agree with Bernd. I think I would try making a plug.

Okay, cool.  So now I find the inner dimensions at the bottom of the brass just before it gets all heavy and stuff for the base.  And I think I even know where to find that information.

Best ergards and many thanks,

Kludge

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »
Okay and could get an old artillary shell from Gunbroker dot com to build boiler from- would result in unique conversation piece..I.E. Post Apocalyptic technologies... ;D
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Kludge

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:12:28 AM »
Okay and could get an old artillary shell from Gunbroker dot com to build boiler from- would result in unique conversation piece..I.E. Post Apocalyptic technologies... ;D

I love it!  :D

Gotta have a slightly smaller one on top as a steam dome.  It wouldn't be right with anything less.  Two artillery brasses open end to open end with a brass band wrapped at the joint and rivetted in place. 

Reflective thought ... the bases of the brasses would be high points so maybe two steam domes?  It would be unique if nothing else.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Kludge

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:56:24 PM »

I've been rethinking my "Neo-Victorian" engines in terms of a post-apocalyptic environment.  I'm not sure if the seed of this was planted by your suggestion or not, but it took hold and gave me a lot more leeway than a "normal" steampunk world would. 

My most recent entry at http://kludges-other-blog.blogspot.com is a brief on this concept. 

Just a thought.

BEst regards,

Kludge