Author Topic: Fixing a Halogen Lamp  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Andrew_D

Fixing a Halogen Lamp
« on: February 12, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »
So I'm not to head to the shop today 'cause the in-laws are coming and there's work to be done!!!

I "subtly" point out that the halogen lamp that is leaning to one side needs to be fixed. This lamp is part of a set. Includes a couple of lamps on end tables and such. They all match, so I will either have to buy a new set or repair it. Off to the shop I go....

Here's some pics of the re-build:

#1 - The busted lamp - Most of these are like this. There is a small threaded piece that is supposed to hold the two halves together. Makes them more compact for shipping, but it is a very weak point. After moving the lamps quite a few times, the threads tend to pull out.

So I need to find a piece to replace it with. I'm thinking of a longer piece for more support and use Loctite to hold it all together.

#2 - ID of the tube is 0.910". I have some 1" round Hot Rolled, but then I'd have to drill a hole for the wire. I eventually find some 3/4" pipe with an OD of 1.051" (pic #3) and ID of 0.840" (pic #4). This should work.

Offline Andrew_D

Re: Fixing a Halogen Lamp
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »
OK, so I've got the piece I'm going to use. I throw it in my 7x12, support the end with the live center, 'cause it's eventually going to have a sidewall of about 0.035"

Pic #1 and #2 show turning the outside down to the 0.910" dimension.

Pic #3 shows the black lamp tube sliding over the new piece. It was hard to get on, and the internal threads grabbed trying to get it off. I had a heck of a time, so it should be good.

Pic #4 shows parting off the new piece. Note the old drill bit used to catch it when it parts off.

Offline Andrew_D

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
OK, last post...

Pic #1: Here's the old threaded piece beside the new piece.

Pic #2: Here's the new piece installed in the bottom tube. (Red Loctite)

Pic #3: The two tube's together. Loctite is wiped off.

I stuck it in front of the electric furnace for a bit. I'll go grab it around supper time before the company arrives.
Total time, including the pics: 45 minutes.

Andrew

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:36:57 PM »
Isn't it great when you can fix things instead of throwing them out  :clap:

And you get a small quantity of brownie points too .... not that they'll last long in my exp ...  :doh:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:14:48 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Darren took the words right out of my mouth.  :clap:

Nice to be able to fix things at home not have to buy new. Thanks for taking the time for pictures and posting.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Andrew_D

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
And you get a small quantity of brownie points too .... not that they'll last long in my exp ...

Hey, I'll take any brownie points I can.

Even the ones from getting up with a screaming kid last Thursday night 2-4:30 AM. Hey that's only a few hours before I fixed that lamp.

Better not tell the wife I can do this kind of work on minimal sleep - she'll quit feeling sorry for me after a night like that!

Andrew

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
You did a nice job there, Andrew.
I'm another one who likes the idea of fixing up rather than throwing out.  Good on ya!

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
Well done Andrew  :thumbup:

As the guys have said it's sooooooo...... much better to mend something than just dump it, I suppose if we count man hours it's not economical, but that's not the point is is  ..........    it's the fact ..........  "we can" ........ :dremel:

I spent about an hour tonight making a new handle for a casserole pot, not worth taking pictures etc but ........... brownie point wise  "very useful", to be fair though I probably use the bloomin thing more than the Mrs so I'm glad I eventually got a round tuit.

CC