Author Topic: Arc Welding part 2 a self instruction guide  (Read 2959 times)

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Arc Welding part 2 a self instruction guide
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »
Arc Welding part 2
a self instruction guide
by William L Olson
Soft cover booklet 3 hole punched
copyright ©1996
Vector Publications

The second half or part of the two parter. Covers 10 more lessons on various aspects of welding, brazing and using a carbon arc torch. It covers the basic weld joints and electrodes on 1/8",3/32",3/16" and 1/4" metal.

Each unit is set up, with a reference heading of things you should read up on and understand. It doesn't have any one welding text book in mind but is laid out so that any good one can be used.

Each unit is set up, with a reference heading of things you should read up on and understand. It doesn't have any one welding text book in mind but is laid out so that any good one can be used.

Then equipment and materials

Basic information

Procedure

And ends with questions in what is called evaluation

They have some drawings, of the top side and cross section view of the weld practice pieces. A very good basic guide to how to pratice, and what you really need to know to do it well.

This one covers Grey cast iron butt joints,hard surfacing, Heating and wrinkle bending pipe with a carbon arc torch. vertical fillets on 1/8" metal.

Horizontal butt welds on 1/8" 3/16" positioned in the vertical plane.

Pipe welding,tee and butt joints.

Butt welding using low hydrogen electrodes flat and vertical planes.

Welding zinc alloy die cast using a Tinkers dam.

Brazing an I beam fillet joint on sheet aluminum and butt welds on cast and sheet aluminum.

In rereading the contents page a couple of things caught my eye as it has been a number of years since I first read this.

A tinkers dam, There is a item that is used in welding zinc alloy, it is made to suit the job at had.
There is also welders clay that can be used to make an odd shaped tinkers dam. Of course you can't use the suggested material anymore for the dam material (asbestos,powered) but the other probably is a type of fire or ceramic clay to build the dams on casting.
And all this time I have used the phrase "don't give a tinkers dam" I had thought it was just referring to the old time fixer upper person.

The other thing was "Hot Shortness of metal" which is the attribute of the white metals, zinc,lead,pewter,aluminum and their alloys that are heated. Don't seem to have a malleable stage or color change stage. If they do, it is so short that for all practical purposes, it is non-existent.

So there you have a mini welding lesson for today.
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen