Author Topic: You wont shake now!!  (Read 4300 times)

Offline techno ludite

You wont shake now!!
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:42:53 PM »
Hi All.

Took a break from doing me little steam pump today, for some shop maintenance, I have a Clarke CL500M 3 in 1 and its not bolted down to the floor yet (bin in for 2yrs). Since its been on the stand which I got for it, whenever I do any heavy turning or milling it tends to 'shimmy' end to end and it gets a bit disconcerting, so me brother reckoned I should put a plate on the back to stop it doing it.

Went to a local metal stockist their only a small business mind, and they wanted somewhere in the region of 50quid for a bit of 18swg steel 28" x 30" so it was a 'I will wait 'till I got enough money' walk out. So I thought project that would die a death as usuall, till i done some skip diving someone had thrown away what looked like computer racking on wheels, lo and be-hold there was a neglected door at the other end of the skip calling out for me, managed to get it home waiting for the time (inclination) to actually do the job. So it was out with the jigsaw and it cut down to size, holes drilled for the bolts, and a struggle to get it fitted (not as young as I thought I was) and the results are below.

The remainder of the door I used as a splash back for when I get around to getting a coolant system fitted. Last thing that needs to be done is bolt the whole lot down as it should be, and it'll be rock solid.

Panel in position.                                                                                    Splash guard.

Never under estimate the benefits of skip-diving, obviously make sure you don't fall foul of those that want to stop you with your freshly won goodies.

TTFN

TL  :)

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: You wont shake now!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
Hi I have one of the clark lath stands and it does the same no matter how hard I try to level it, I got it a lot better by undoing all the bolts holding it togeter in case when i asembled it I had got a bit of a twist in to it, or bowed it linning up holes .improved it but it still moves, I cannot bolt it down to the floor because it is a internall finnished floor, so have to have it standing on 3/4 inch marine ply times two 1 1/2" in all and bolted to that , that is perfectly flat no rock, I bont think the design of the bottom of the clark bench helps with its flat plates , it will be interesting to see if that works after a few uses. if so ill try it

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure