Author Topic: Hi from East London and a Favour  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Rikk

Hi from East London and a Favour
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »
Hi there, as you can see from the post count I'm a little new here but have been doing a lot of reading.
I'm looking at getting a mini mill and lathe fairly soon (CJ18 and XJ12-300) from Amadeal, I popped in last Friday and had a nose around and chat, glad I did as it's much nicer to buy locally and from a real nice guy.
Anyway, the one thing I'm concerned about is the noise from these as I'm going to be using them in a flat for 6-8 months, the flat is all solid concrete but I'd still like to know how noisy they are in use.

So, now we get to a favour, I live in Romford and was wondering if there is anyone in the East London / Essex area running similar machines I could pop into to have a listen, as I'd hate to spend all the money and find I can't use them due to the noise.

BTW, I'll only be working on plastics (delrin/acetal etc) and ali 95% of the time and on very small parts for radio controlled car's

Thanks

............Rikk
Location - Romford, Essex

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Hi from East London and a Favour
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
Rikk

Welcome toi MadModder Rikk. I think it depends on the type of drive that you have on the mill and the lathe. I believe that gears tend to be a bit noisier than belts. It can also depend on the operation as well as the material that you are working with.

I only live about 100 kms from the east side of London. The problem is that it is London, Ontario, Canada so it might not be so convenient to drop around.  :lol: :lol:

I mess around with RC cars as well so I know what it is like. Hopefully someone close to you will be able to help you out with the noise issue.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:32:50 AM »
Hi there Rikk :wave: Welcome to madmodder.

I dont have those particular machines, but I found my x2 mini-mill to be noisier than my C2 Lathe, that was because the mill was gear driven ( I converted it to belt drive so now it is much quieter ). That being said, if you work at slower speeds the noise is much reduced as well.

I hope you find someone close to you to listen to the machines running.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Rikk

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and pointers guys, I'm hoping so as I'm all ready to go with the money and making room, etc and just want to be sure I can use them here before going for it as it would drive me nuts all sitting in the corner and I can't actually do anything :(

I was intending making a very strong bench with 2 inch kitchen worktop topped by a steel sheet with 6mm rubber sheet in between these and the support structure to hopefully cut down on some of the vibration.
Location - Romford, Essex