Author Topic: P P Parting off!!  (Read 8595 times)

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
P P Parting off!!
« on: May 31, 2010, 04:52:44 AM »

I know the subject is a can of worms, but I have never had any success with this procedure on steel items with my AL 320G (chinese) lathe, which takes 1-1/2" through the chuck.
A good friend of mine offered me a chance to "take what I want" from his collection of lathe tools. (He was planning to buy one but has changed his mind.)
One of the tools I took was a parting tool that was too tall for my lathe, my brother milled 1/16" off the base of the tool so it fits my tool post (.001" packing required.)

:) It works.

I've never been able to part off sucessfully before, so I'm as happy as a pig in poo.  :clap: :clap:

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: P P Parting off!!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:25 PM »
Parting off scares me :( :( :(
I bought a tipped tool this helps but i am still very wary
John

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Hi!

Parting off should not be a hazardous procedure if all the factors of failure are know.

Most incidences are down to the parting tool not having enough side clearance for the swarf to go; two objects of mass cannot occupy the same space at the same time. A trick here is to whittle away a slot by removing the edges leaving space either side and then going straight down the middle for the parting action.

If a clean square cut is your goal then two important factors must be obtained, the cutting tool should be totally square with the longitudinal axis of the work and tool height should be dead center, assuming your ground profile on the parting tool are correct this should not be a hard procedure, again its down to clearance.

Another main culprit is backlash!. Yep hidden slack or lack of it will snatch your cross-slide forward digging the tool in which in turn sets off a sequence of events and ends up ugly quicker than a 50lb fat naked chicken running away from KFC. Limit this menace
But adjusting saddle cross-slide jib screws and don’t forget the top compound slide, plus another fiend could be the thrust feed screw bearing.

A parting tool should always be working meaning the feed of the tool should not lose contact with the work. The length of the parting tool should be kept to a minimum and should be as close to the chuck/collet as possible. chatter will be the evidence.

Another trick is if you want to part off anything over an inch slip it in back gear and take side cuts as I mentioned previously. If the material has a harsh scale on the surface remove this first giving the parting tool a chance to seat its self without damage.

All in all it is one of the most dangerous of machining set ups but its apart of our machining experience and should be mastered. When you are going to part off think through in detail your moves, how you will stand and how to lubricate while manually making the cut and if something screws up you what your actions will be.

Adhering to all of the above will limit your exposure to something drastically going wrong. don’t fear parting off be in control of it.

Hope this helps.                 Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
Wot Anthony said......  :thumbup:

All my production machining life, on grown up lathes, I used tools ground as pic 3...... So, no pip on component.  :thumbup:

This diagonal grind gives too much side force for my little 7x12. Causing jamming, as the tool tries to veer over to the right.....  :doh:

As stated, the tool cutting face must be ground square. Works for me!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline kwackers

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:49:26 AM »
I bought one of these when I first started:
http://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk/ishop/728/shopscr23.html

All I can say is I've never understood why people have problems parting off...

I part off under power, but even on my old (iffy) Chinese lathe I could just wind the cross slide in almost as fast as I liked.
On my Myford 254 it will part 1.5" round bar in just a few seconds.

It's secret (if it has one) is the corners of the tool are curved up, the swarf it produces is narrower than the slot and thus doesn't jam.

Highly recommended - the only time I don't use it is when I'm feeling tight and/or short of stock - then it's the hacksaw on the rotating bar job...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:51:07 AM by kwackers »

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
I bought one of these when I first started:
http://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk/ishop/728/shopscr23.html

All I can say is I've never understood why people have problems parting off...

I have seen Kwackers Greenwoods parting off tool in action and it is amazing. I wasted £35 on a similar looking parting off tool from a local supplier and it is terrible, I will certainly be purchasing one of the Greenwoods but it is such a large layout it puts me off...only because I`m tight because it does the job better than any I have seen.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:23:46 PM »
Chris

I have one similar to the Greenwood one.

Yup, you can wind 'em in quite happily.

Made by ISCAR.

Piccy, .... not precisely the same, but close.

http://www.iscar.co.uk/ProductLines/ProductLineSubDetail.asp/CountryID/16/ProductLineSubDetailID/717

You may find something on ebay, not quite so pricey as Greewood, if you look for ISCAR.

Dave BC

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:25:36 PM by Bluechip »
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline BK

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »
 :doh: It grabbed, it broke, I swore,  :(

Same shafting, same speed, slow feed, ..it happens.  :bang:

On the bright side I now have a nice "die" for bending small bits of sheet galv. :)
If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:28:05 AM »
Bugga!  :bang:

Bernie..... Is there any slop in your headstock bearings? Or toolpost not very rigid?

My parting off experiences improved, when I swapped the compound slide for a more solid set up......  :thumbup:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2464.0

Then bought a Glanz carbide tool......

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2759.0

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

MrFluffy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:00:04 AM »
I used to have grief parting off with my harrison l5 but that had so many miles on it everything was sloppy or worn or damaged in some way by previous owners and if the gibs were tightened up to remove the slop in the centre of travel the slide would bind either end badly. It would part through until the last few mm then the tool would bite in and be dragged under the pip breaking the tool and damaging the workpiece in the process. I used to part to within say 5 mm then saw the pip through and face it off, crap but practical.
Then I upgraded to a much nicer less abused harrison l5a and that can part off neatly with the same home made tooling and setup. The difference is all down to the machine's rigidity and lack of slop in the toolpost being kept still dept and I no longer fear that crunch as it all goes wrong   :beer:

David, that second link is great, gives me ideas for one of the spare holders for a multifix I bought but havent fitted yet, once ive got a workshop floor again that is  :(