Author Topic: DIY Boring Head  (Read 16229 times)

Offline ozzie46

DIY Boring Head
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »

Heres my effort at making my own Boring Head.

The little 4-40 screw goes through the set screw hole for the horizontal boring bar and sits in a counter sunk hole to screw the brass 1/4-20 nut to the slide. The brass nut sits in the pocket that was milled out with a  .125 end mill. I will lock tight the screw in after I give it a good de-greasing.

Here it is assembled.

There are a few goofs on it but none that will effect its operation. The rear vertical boring bar hole was almost drilled in the wrong spot, but I caught it before I couldn't move it. That is why there is a small hole next to it. Its not drilled to depth.

I also made 3 MT 2 shanks before I got one right. The threads were not concentric with the shank as I was tuning it between centers. Then the light went off in my head and said to myself “self, mount the finished taper in the head stock then cut the threads”. All was well then.

I haven't made the setting dial yet as I need to set up some sort of dividing mechanism. If I don't have a 25 tooth gear maybe use Turbocad to print up a circle with 25 marks on it and glue it to some plywood and mount to the rear of my spindle with a pointer.

Well thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

Ron

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: DIY Boring Head
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 05:02:43 PM »
Nice one, Ron  :thumbup:
If no 25T gear, have you a 50T so you could use every second "slot"?
Sometimes you can figure out a compound gear train on the banjo to do awkward numbers, with the topmost gear meshed with the spindle gear and a detent in the bottom one. I did a dial with 84 divisions that way. Don't ask why!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

Thanks Andy. I'm don't have a 50 tooth for sure thats why I mentioned the 25. I might have that,though it made be plastic or nylon.

I absolutely horrible at math so trying to figure out the multiple gear thing is a non starter. Wouldn't even know where to start. Although that would probably be a very good thing to know. Wish I knew it.  :D :D

Ron

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
Nice one Ron.

One of these days I need to make one for my Bridgeport.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Dean W

• My kingdom for a lathe!
    • Projects web pages
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:25 PM »

I absolutely horrible at math so trying to figure out the multiple gear thing is a non starter. Wouldn't even know where to start. Although that would probably be a very good thing to know. Wish I knew it.  :D :D
   Ron

Ron, I have an excellent book for guys like us.  It's called Mathematics for Machinists, written by Rueben W. Burnham.
I fully understand the trouble you have with this.  This book is written for us, and the fellow who wrote it knew that we are
machine shop guys, and not mathematicians.   It's in language for 'real' people!

You can find them on Amazon for about $16.00.  Lindsay's books also has them, and is where I got mine.  They only have
it in their paper catalog, though.  You can also find it on Google books in a pdf.  That's nice, 'cause it is no charge, but I like
having a real copy to keep in the shop.

It's worth the money.  A great reference for the shop.

Dean
Dean W.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

Praise the Lord and pass the Carbide!

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »

Thanks Bernd, Dean.

Bernd, I got the plans off the web. Can't remember where now but if you want PM me with an e-mail and I send them to you..

Dean, I down loaded it from Google Books. Copyrite 1915.  Thanks for the tip.

Your post here reminds me I have been sorely remiss on posting on your Fan Engine build. Very nice work indeed.  I learn a lot when you show how you fab something up like that fan.

Ron

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:12:50 AM »
Found the book on Google books, but how do you download the pdf?
I see no download link.
Thanks
Gordy
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »

Gordy,
     In the upper right there were the letters "pdf" in blue. I clicked on that and it downloaded.

Ron

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 08:18:14 AM »
Ozzie
This is the page I am on
 http://books.google.com/books?id=P1jbQwAACAAJ&dq=Mathematics+for+Machinists&hl=en&ei=-50kTOTxKI3KOKSx0fkC&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA

If it is not the one you downloaded from can you post the link please.
Thanks
Gordy
There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline matnewsholme

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 11:15:45 AM »
gordtopps

think you can only download as pdf if your in the usa due to copyright issues. If you navigate to site via a anonymous ip type site then you get the pdf option.( dont ask me how I've just heard it discussed before)

matt

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:17:41 AM by matnewsholme »

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »
Ron
Thanks for the link, but there is no download button. :(

Guess it's caused by not being in the US as Matt says. :scratch:

Oh well, just something else I will have to do without  :hammer:

Thanks anyway
Gordy

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »

Gordy, Up in the right hand corner under the where it says " My Library|Sign in" There should be a downward pointing arrow and "PDF"
  without the Quotaion marks. If that is there you should be able to download it. There is no "download Button" per se, Just click on "PDF" and and it will download.

Ron

Offline GordTopps

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »
Ron
Still unable to download.
This is the screenshot of the page I am seeing.

Thanks for trying to help
Gordy

Offline sportandmiah

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
G-Books is not available in all countries.

MrFluffy

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
Ron
Thanks for the link, but there is no download button. :(

Guess it's caused by not being in the US as Matt says. :scratch:

Oh well, just something else I will have to do without  :hammer:

Thanks anyway
Gordy

No, just go to :-
http://www.hidemyass.com

There in the box under the "Free proxy" heading, paste in the above google url and click on the donkey marked "hide my ass" to the right. You will then get anonymous access to the google books, but from WITHIN the usa.
Then you will see the download button everyone is mentioning.
It works because I just done it from France  :beer: