Author Topic: As requested, pics of my shop  (Read 14124 times)

Offline stefang

As requested, pics of my shop
« on: June 29, 2010, 03:58:44 PM »
Hi folks,

As in my introduction thread mentioned, here are a few (three) pictures of my shop:
The room is 4x5m, more than enough for my needs, but it is located in the basement, a fact that limits the weight of the machines I can move down there...

Main workbench:

Stock storage, Small parts like screws, pins, electronic parts, small tools, soldering iron, a cheap chinese arbor press, etc...the drill press is mostly used for rough jobs, where not much precision is needed.

My lathe, a 9x20 model, nothing special but it works very well. Got a "Multifix" type qctp fitted, which is realy nice..they seem not to be very popular outside of Europe...for those, who don't know them, heres a link: http://shop.rb-werkzeuge.de/images/multifix-3.jpg

My milling machines:

On the left is a swiss made Aciera F3, ca. 1950 built. Got it from ebay, it was in a baaaaaad condition, the horizontal spindle got a runout of over 0,5mm, the vertical head was missing, everywhere was wooddust (seems that the machine was located in a wood shop). Did a complete rebuild, new paint, new bearings, changed the spindle taper to accept ISO30 tool holders and fitted a vertical head from a german benchtop milling machine.

On the right, my cnc milling machine is located. Its a modified Deckel G2 engraver, 1928 built. Got it without a milling head or the pantograph mechanic, so I built a spindle head from a mini-mill casting of the headstock and a spindle that accepts ER32 collets. Afterwards, I fitted ball screws and stepper motors to all three axis and set the cnc controller up.

The result is a very sturdy little cnc milling machine :)

Feel free to ask, if there are any questions :)

Stefan

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: As requested, pics of my shop
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
I like your built CNC... any chance for more pictures? How is the mini mill head stock holding up? Are you using the stock mini mill motor?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:53:58 PM »
Another very neat German workshop, although I can definitely see some swarf in the lathe tray   :clap:   :thumbup:
I just donīt know what you fellows do to keep then so tidy. Mine usually looks like an abandoned gipsy campsite, in comparison  :bang:  And Iīm afraid I still get less done, and in poorer quality   :(
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:39:24 PM »
Very nice and clean workshop Stefan.

My workshop is in the basement also, but that hasn't stopped me from moving a Bridgeport and a Buffalo Forge Drill press into the basement.

Follow these two links for a "how I did it" thread.

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=381.0
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=362.0

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline stefang

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 03:53:37 AM »
Thanks guys :)

I can definitely see some swarf in the lathe tray

Sometimes even I work :)

Follow these two links for a "how I did it" thread.

Uh, that are pretty hefty machines for a basement shop, nice job on bringing them down...only problem I see, is, that the stairway makes a 180° turn halfway down. But I would love to have sturdier mill like a Bridgeport or a Deckel/Maho (Bridgeports are here in Germany not THAT common)

How do you get those machines someday out of your basement?

I like your built CNC... any chance for more pictures?

Thanks, more pictures are no problem..will follow

The minimill head is great, I added angular contact bearings instead of the normal deep race bearings. The motor is a 0,25kW Induction motor, powered by a VFD..runs very smooth and silent.

Stefan

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:57 PM »
How do you get those machines someday out of your basement?

Stefan

I often get asked that question. I tell them that it will be the next persons problem, not mine.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline stefang

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
like your built CNC... any chance for more pictures?

Here we go:

Thats how I bought the machine:

It was a Deckel G2 pantograph engraving machine, but the pantograph got lost in all the years...so I decided to build a cnc out of it.

A bit of repainting:

The ballscrew in the Z-axis can also be seen.

Another angle on the nearly finished machine:

As you can see, the head can be tilted..nice little feature :)

There is a bit work on the electrics needed, the VFD is hovering around on my table without a proper protection against swarf...but so far, it works..you know, never change a running...

Stefan

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
Hi  stefang

I see your Aceira has the compound table on it ,, very nice  :dremel:  ,, mine only tilts left to right  :( ,,, i like the turret head you have added ,, something i have been wanting to add to my mill , as finding an Aceira one is like looking for rocking horse  doo doo ,, just need to fined a suitable donor head ,,,,,,,, or make one ,,, what did you use ?

Cacking job you have done on the Deckel conversion  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Rob

Offline stefang

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.

:D

Today I played a bit around with the Microsoft Image Composite Editor, a pretty foolproof tool to make panorama views from a multiple series of pictures, and I tried it out in my shop:

Just a link, as the picture is very wide ;)

http://gtwr.de/werkstatt_panorama.jpg

just need to fined a suitable donor head ,,,,,,,, or make one ,,, what did you use ?

Opps, I overread the question back then:

Its the head from an X2 milling machine modified to take a standard motor and a belt drive, no noisy gears :)

Stefan