Author Topic: Short bandsaw blades - do they exist/where to get them?  (Read 10115 times)

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Short bandsaw blades - do they exist/where to get them?
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »
I have a comedy bandsaw (a DeWalt DW100), which takes little tiny 59.5" blades... a quick perusal of ePay would suggest that I can only get carbon steel blades in this size...

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of bi-metal or HSS blades in such a short length? Alternatively, could I buy a longer HSS/bi-metal blade & shorten it? If so, can the two ends simply be mig-welded together, or do they need silver soldering/brazing?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: Short bandsaw blades - do they exist/where to get them?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
I have a comedy bandsaw (a DeWalt DW100), which takes little tiny 59.5" blades... a quick perusal of ePay would suggest that I can only get carbon steel blades in this size...

Does anyone know of a UK supplier of bi-metal or HSS blades in such a short length? Alternatively, could I buy a longer HSS/bi-metal blade & shorten it? If so, can the two ends simply be mig-welded together, or do they need silver soldering/brazing?
Ade -- I don't know about the UK, but several of the large (even "discount") suppliers (such as Enco) list them here in the U.S.  It will be less expensive if you just spring for a roll of blade in the size/tooth configuration you prefer and take them to the local industrial supply and have them welded to length.  Alternatively, it costs about $300 US to purchase a bandsaw blade welder.  ???

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:48 PM »
Hi AdeV,
I have a (very old but very good - well, I like it!) Black & Decker DN339 small bandsaw that also wants 59.5" x 1/4" blades. Iīve bought several (over the years) from Chronos,
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Bandsaw_Machines___Bandsaw_Blades_181.html
(about halfway down the page)

They donīt say in the page what material it is,  but theyīve worked just fine for me, for brass + ali, and for thin steel. For ten Ģ, it maybe is worth a try  :poke:
I often cut 2"x2" ali bars with them blades, it does take some time, but still far faster (and easier on the elbow) than a hacksaw. Through 3 - 10 mm ali plate, it goes about the same as through equivalent plywood. In my use, one blade lasts for about 20-25 months. I havenīt broken any, the blade just gets dull.

Iīve also made my own (years ago), from a roll of bimetal blade that I bought locally. Ends (duly thinned) silver soldered, with a homebrew cobbled jig. Iīve also tried spot welding the ends, but they snapped open rather easily. Must have been my fault really, of course they can be welded, but not like I did it   :zap:
Silver soldering, the way I did it, was far stronger. They will cost less per blade in the long run, although the roll of material cost a zillion... Itīs not really suitable for such a small saw, the material is wider (8 mm instead of 6.3 - I couldnīt find any narrower) and a bit thicker. It needs more tension in the blade than the saw was designed for, and is only good for straight cuts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:32:20 PM by cidrontmg »
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline JimM

• Chessington, Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:56:10 AM »
There's an article on MIG welding bandsaw blades with step by step instructions in the current issue of Model Engineers Workshop, haven't tried it myself but the author is pleased with the results. G

HTH

Jim

MrFluffy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:35:52 AM »
I had exactly the same issue, with a ryobi conversion. These chaps a) know their stuff and b) will make you a custom bandsaw blade to whatever you want.

Dragon Saws Ltd
Unit 13, Duffryn Business Park, Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly, CF82 7RJ
Tel: 01443 819910 Fax: 01443 819911 email: sales@dragonsaws.co.uk

http://members.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=dragong3

Online AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:44:11 AM »
Thanks for all the leads chaps! I'll try Dragon Saws first I think, they sound like the least-effort (on my part  :poke:) solution to me!  :med:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:44:34 AM »
I have an old Black and Decker bandsaw that should take 59.5" x 1/4" blades. But have found that it will easily accomodate a 1/2" wide blade, which gives a much straighter cut and the blades do last a lot longer.

I get mine from Axminster and go for the 14TPI, I wouldn't cut steel or anything harder with them, but they do me for everything else. A blade will usually last me between 6 months to a year, just depending how vicious I am cutting materials.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bandsaw-blades-1510mm(591-2)-x-0014-prod21507/

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Ned Ludd

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 10:49:35 AM »
Before I started to buy from J&L, I used to buy from Bandsaw Services Ltd in Windsor. They will make blades to your specs, but I am sure if you look in your local Yellow pages you will find a similar company offering the same sort of service.
Ned
I know enough to do what I do, but the more I know the more I can do!

Leafy suburbs of NW London

Offline djc

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
Dragon Saws Ltd

Sadly, Dragon Saws are no more. If you check the feedback in the page quoted, it stops in March 2009, when DS ceased trading. The bloke who was involved in it has started up again as TuffSaws, whose page Google will find for you.