Author Topic: 3 lathes... one has to go.  (Read 7874 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
3 lathes... one has to go.
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »
Bit of a pathetic question but I don`t want to regret my decision so I`m curious as to all your thoughts....

When I decided to get back into machining, not knowing what I was doing and having not found this forum, I purchased a clarke Cl300m lathe off ebay - £200..ouch! I then was talking around the work office and a bloke told me he had a lathe sat doing nothing in the back of his garage and that I could have it..along came the Boxford Model A. I then came across a little Taig/Peatol with leadscrew addon for only £110 and at that price I couldn`t say no!

The Boxford is my main lathe and I`m currently tidying that up so this is my keeper for sure. But I seriously can`t make a decision as to which of the other two to sell! I know it is a rubbish question for a forum but with a week of thinking, I can`t make a decision!

I really need to let one of these go to generate some cash to put into projects.

My thoughts

Clarke CL300M
Cheep Chinese lathe and are easy to come by should I really start to miss it! This one is actually in good condition and runs very nicely. I`ve used it a lot and still do because it was my first lathe and you kind of get a feel for them! However, although a lot smaller than the boxford, anything that can be done on the Clarke could be done on the Boxford.

Taig/Peatol
Lathe in very good condition with leadscrew addition which is a nice mod. It is very small, maybe would come into its own with very fine work BUT that being said, I`ve hardly used it because it is so small. Lots of info on the web, nice mods and has a good following.

Hummm..my gut instinct is to sell the Clarke...

Clarke Cl300M

Peatol

Offline jim

Re: 3 lathes... one has to go.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
i had a similar "problem" a few years ago.

i had a chester conquest and a sieg C3. After fitting a bigger chuck to the C3, i realised that a bigger lathe would be better!

i bought a sieg C4, then Mrs Jim, passed coment on having 3 lathes!! i ended up selling the two smaller ones :doh:

after a year or so i ended up buying another C3, i just find it easier having the option of leaving a job set on the bigger lathe and still being able to get other jobs done. both lathes have the same quick change tool posts, at the same centre height, makes life easy!

As you say the Clarke lathe would be easy to buy back, but you could end up like i did and have to do all the little mods again.

i'd have thought the peatol would sell better?

not much help in making up your mind!

if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline Davo J

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:47:27 AM »
Here is my thoughts for what it is worth.
You said you use the Clarke CL300M often but have hardly used the Taig/Peatol.
I would sell the Taig/Peatol because you still use the other one.
In the end it is up to you

Dave

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:27 AM »
Thanks for your opinions.

Yea, which is why I know it is a bit of a rubish question!! - I`m just interested to hear what others would do.

I have to admit that although it being a tidy lathe, I`ve not actually done much in the way of mods to the clarke other than add a quick change tool post. I only use it because I`ve not had the Boxford setup properly and now I`m part way through stripping that down and reassembling (should have it up and running by next weekend) I think I`ll use the Boxford a heck of a lot more. Small things that I like to do on the Clarke I bet could be more accurately done on the Tieg.
The Clarke is so small that if I did want a second lathe I`d go for something like a Chester B or similar.  

I think you get the idea from my writing that I am swinging towards selling the Clarke...I just like the little Teig and think I may use it more later in life for small fine work (a watch build!!  :coffee:)   I can just imagine me selling the little Teig and being disappointed yet I could go out at any point and rebuy the clarke, or as I`ve already said, something a little bigger!

Please...opinions still appreciated!

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »
I'd sell the Clarke --- free up some counter space.

Offline Davo J

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:47:51 AM »
Thanks for your opinions.

Yea, which is why I know it is a bit of a rubish question!! - I`m just interested to hear what others would do.

I have to admit that although it being a tidy lathe, I`ve not actually done much in the way of mods to the clarke other than add a quick change tool post. I only use it because I`ve not had the Boxford setup properly and now I`m part way through stripping that down and reassembling (should have it up and running by next weekend) I think I`ll use the Boxford a heck of a lot more. Small things that I like to do on the Clarke I bet could be more accurately done on the Tieg.
The Clarke is so small that if I did want a second lathe I`d go for something like a Chester B or similar.  

I think you get the idea from my writing that I am swinging towards selling the Clarke...I just like the little Teig and think I may use it more later in life for small fine work (a watch build!!  :coffee:)   I can just imagine me selling the little Teig and being disappointed yet I could go out at any point and rebuy the clarke, or as I`ve already said, something a little bigger!

Please...opinions still appreciated!

It looks like you have made up your mind to sell the Clark, and like you said you can always but another one latter if you want one.

Dave