Author Topic: 2" minnie build so far.  (Read 25861 times)

Offline sjb

Re: 2" minnie build so far.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
I have cut my gears 10dp with cutters purchased off EBAY £ 20-00 each. I thought it best to keep to this pitch as I didn't want to get in a complete pickle. :loco: If you look at the picture of the engine on the bench you can see the large 50 tooth wheel hasn't had all the teeth cut because I made a bit of an error... :(

The boiler isn't started I but do have the materials ready. In the main I am using 10 SWG copper plate and as Jason points out you need to play with the tube diameter. It's a trade off between getting in as many flue tubes that are not so small as to get choked or too large as to make the boiler inefficient. Consequently I'm considering using 1/2 inch flues for mine, unless Jason tells me otherwise... :smart:

AndyB. Yes I made my own rollers for the front wheels but didn't really make them big enough so had to heat the metal up bright red to get it to roll properly. The rear wheels were made out of a piece of aluminium tube, not to be recommended!

Steve :beer:

Offline sjb

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
 :update:

Here are some pictures of the wheel buillding process. I pre drilled both the rim and the spokes with one hole only then bent and marked them ready for fitting. It's imperative that the spokes lay flat without any tension or a jallopy wheel will result. I used a rivet for location while the hub was drilled and countersunk. etc finally fix with m3 crews for the moment.

The final picture is with the wheel flipped over ready for the last 8 spokes to be fitted.

steve

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »
Well done sjb very nice work  :clap: :clap:

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 05:23:14 AM »
You are a fabulous chap Jason :bow: The font of all knowledge

Steve, thank you for the info and the great build log :clap: You make it look so easy...even the mistakes! I am as good if not better at making those :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you very much

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline sjb

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 07:45:01 AM »
 :update:

Voila, ready for rivets  :ddb:

Offline sjb

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »
I have been busy cutting the gears for my Minnie. Hope you enjoy them.   :wave: