Author Topic: Another Canadian happy to have found this site!  (Read 3236 times)

Offline fatal-exception

Another Canadian happy to have found this site!
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:02:56 AM »
Greetings from Saskatoon! I'm really happy to have stumbled upon this site. I was looking for some completed examples of the Gingery Shaper and somehow ended up here.

I'm really impressed with the amount of knowledge on here, not to mention the generosity of the members. I'm on several other boards like CNC Zone, Practical Machinist, and a few other, but they just don't seem to have the content that this board has. This obviously has everything to do with the quality of members here! I see a few familiar handles here from other members of the CNC Zone. Hi to all of you.

In a way, I wish I wouldn't have found this site, my list of projects has grown a great deal over the last few days. That's OK though, never an idle moment in the shop.

So just a bit about me, I'm a mechanical designer by day and night. My employer pays me to tinker with machinery design ideas, mainly using Solidworks. I machine by the moonlight and make money doing so, mostly plastics in small production runs. I've been machining for about 5 years in which time I started with an X2 and 7x10 and have grown to a wide array of tools. Currently I have 2 X2's, both CNC, still have the 7x10, 13x24 (probably my favorite tool), 24x24 gantry milling machine, cnc rotab, mig/stick, all the main woodworking tools, ect. Never enough tools as most of you know...

Anyways, glad to be here and hope that I can be of help.

Paul

Offline slowcoach

Re: Another Canadian happy to have found this site!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
Welcome aboard! I too use Solidworks at work, its a fantastic bit of software, it makes my life sooo much easier when drawing up a design  :D

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

We are a really diverse bunch here. Unfortunately, some of us don't read too well. We need PICS of what you do!  :worthless:

Join in. Ask your questions. Give your opinions......  :D

Enjoy!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:31:23 PM »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you have some nice setups. Would like to see/read about your X2 conversions. I am getting ready to re-start my conversion.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Hi Paul

Welcome to MadModder Paul. Glad to see someone from the prairies in here. It sounds like you have got quite the lot of equipment in your shop. Perhaps you can share some photos of it and some of your projects with us as you get time. If you have any questions just ask, there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Hi Paul.

What all the others have said and welcome to the collective.  :borg:  :wave:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds