Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 191151 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2010, 03:36:20 AM »
I've bin thinking hows he going to drill the rim  :scratch: Now I know, great bit of work Wesly thanks for posting.

Stew

You might know Stew.......  :thumbup:

But, I've not worked that part out, yet!  :scratch:  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
Here are my pictures. I used a 6" dividing head to index a 48" rim\o/ It worked out really good.

Here are a couple of index marks. I used a silver sharpie to make the marks.

I've ran into a small problem. The thread that the Nipples are tapped to is an oddball. (I was told by the nipple man that I needed a 5-40 thread. His thread roll die head says 5-40 but the nipple is really loose on a cut thread that I made with a regular die.) So I'm going to have to send the spokes to a guy in California to roll thread the end that screws into the nipple. I'll thread the end that goes into the hub. Rolled threads are bigger than cut threads. It seams that wheel builders use their own standard. I couldn't even find a chard that explained spoke nipple thread sizes. Some times you can find a gauge reference, But never a thread per inch.
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2010, 03:16:58 AM »
I've bin thinking hows he going to drill the rim  :scratch: Now I know, great bit of work Wesly thanks for posting.

Stew

You might know Stew.......  :thumbup:

But, I've not worked that part out, yet!  :scratch:  ::)

David D

Yep that what I worked out  :smart:    :D

Nice going Wesly I'm sure you'll get the spoke thread sorted.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:09 PM »
Mmmmm Thinking outside of the box seems like an understatement  :smart: 

You really are finding some neat tricks in this thread. Nice one Wes  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
 :med: :med: :med: :med: :med: :med: :D

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
Thanks Guys. Work was going to let a couple guys go in on Friday and Play. But something came up. I have to work on Friday now. I had planned on machining the crank arms then. It'll have to wait a couple weeks now I guess. I still have Plenty to do anyway. I'm planing on making the arms out of Aluminum so I can polish them up nice.

Wes
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
Very Nice Wes!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2010, 07:07:16 AM »
I decided to make my cranks a little differently. Yesterday I redrew them. When I get a chance I'll mill them out on the CNC at work. The scroll work will be engraved on the mill also. Here is a PDF showing how they will look.

Wes
Wesley P

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2010, 09:32:46 AM »
Nice looking cranks Wes.
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
Today's the day\o/ I have some chunks of aluminum and some CNC time at work. Stay tuned.......
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
(o: Yesterday I managed to get the major portion of my Cranks cut out. They still have some more work before they will be considered done.

I drilled and counter bored the end then machined a profile to make it look nice. I then started by drilling the pedal adjuster holes and axle hole.

I machined the blank to thickness and machined the scrolls on the face. I'm pretty excited how they turned out.

Then I had to make some plugs to center the crank on the jig that I made. Here is the lot bolted together.

That worked pretty good(o:

I still have a bit of metal to remove. The pedal end  will be thinned and the body will be tapered to where the axle mounts. I'll then file a slight radius on all the corners and polish things up. The scroll will be stained black with a chemical that I have.
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 02:03:40 PM »
That's nifty! I like.  :beer:

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Gerhard Olivier

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
That is gorgeous

This build is great BTW

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline OKTomT

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2011, 11:08:38 AM »
Wes you are doing a wonderful job on this build. Thank you for sharing it with us. Is the tire round or does it have a V to  fit on the rim? and how is it held on the rim? Tom

Offline pepethefat

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Hi,  I'm totally curious about where this project ended up!

Any chance of a quick post with some pics?

thanks,
j

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:13 AM »
Earlier this year my wife had some more heart troubles. She is doing fine now but I've been trying to spend more time with her. That and we have been working 50+ hours a week at work and it is all I can do to keep up on the yard work and house.

I have just started to get back out to the shop in my free time. I have a tailstock turret that I'm going to set up to make nipples that I know will fit. I have to figure out a few things on it because I've never seen one run before. I still think about it a lot there just isn't enough hours in the day for me. Stay tuned though :wave:

~Wes~

Wesley P

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Hope your wife continues to fell better.  I wondered where you disappeared to in the middle of several interesting projects.  I know about heart issues myself.

Al
I skin cats my own way!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
Well, I have one nipple made\o/ only 79 left :ddb: I tried setting up the tailstock turret and had troubles. The tools that I have are broke up and not usable. I think it would be more work to make the stuff that I need to make the nipples than just turning them out one at a time. I'll post a few pictures later. I really want to ride this this summer.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
Things are working out pretty good. I am turning down the outside, beveling the shoulder, drilling the end for clearance, then drilling for a tap, and finally parting them off. I set up a carriage stop that has 6 positions. it is working out pretty good. They are taking about ten minutes per nipple to this point. I still have to profile the end and tap them.

I have 20 this far.  60 left\o/

I'll see how far I can get tomorrow.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
Woot! I am so glad you are back making this Wes! This is one of the coolest things, I cannot wait for it to be finished.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:31 PM »
Thanks Eric. I really want to ride this this summer. I'm going to order some springs for the seat and the tires as soon as I have the cash. I really didn't want to make these nipples. I figure I'll have about 30 min. into each one. I need 80 of them. They are going pretty good. I'm going to see how many I can knock out tomorrow.

Later,

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2012, 11:57:59 PM »
Hi Wes great to se you're back on with this project and hope you're good wife is on the mend.

Look forward to the vid of you riding it  :D

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2012, 03:37:33 AM »
Nice one Wes... Glad to see you back on this too  :thumbup:   Sometimes you just need to do other things. But glad you're back to it  :)

80 of them little tiny doofors  :jaw:  I bet your head's mush!?  :loco:  :lol:   I'd me proper nuts of I had to make so many identical parts.... I struggle with 2 identical parts!

Top job  :clap:

Now, as Stew says "Look forward to the vid of you riding it  :D

That should be fun! Seen people riding these before.... you do realise you've got to get an old school suit made and wear a bowler hat, maybe even a deer stalker?  Oooo.... Pedal pushers!!! :lol:  :lol: They'd look great on you I bet  :lol:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2012, 04:30:19 AM »
Wes.
Very pleased to hear life is returning to normal, for You and Yours.  :D

Long may it continue.........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
I was a busy beaver today. I got 30 more turned out. I'm going to try and get the rest tomorrow.

Thanks for watching(o;

~Wes~
Wesley P