Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 191087 times)

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 04:09:59 AM »
Wes,

I have now read this whole post, and what a fascinating thing to build. Is there nothing your talents won't try?

Fantastic work.

BTW, I noticed earlier on in the post about cutting threads for the spokes.

Actually, I have in my possession two original spoke thread rolling machines.

I purchased them for one pound each off a car boot sale. Having offered them to a museum, and had the reply that they already have enough of them, I decided to keep them, hoping I could find a use for the castings and handwheels.

It is such a shame you are on a different continent, you could have had them with my pleasure, only the cost of shipping to you would be horrendous.

Ah well!, that is life.

Keep up the great work

John

BTW, Rob, if you want these two, they are yours. Pick them up whenever you are near enough.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:12:42 AM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 07:35:57 AM »
Holy...  :jaw:  Wow!

Wes this is brilliant  :clap:

Lots of awesome crafting and shape making.... Most impressed  :bow:

I know, I've been AWOL for a while but I'm trying to get on more. Looking forward to seeing the rest  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
Maybe we could check on shipping? I like the one that has the clamp on it. What thread pitch are the dies? Glad to see you around John :D
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
Wes,

I have no idea at this time, but I will root them out from storage and do a check for you.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
Today I managed to get all the lathe work done on the endcaps for my pedals. I am happy with how they turned out.

I've been making parts for my new shaper. I should be able to finish the endcaps this next weekend. If I can stay with it. There is still a fair amount of metal to come of  he endcaps. the centers will need to be case hardened also. I'll have an excuse to use my heat treat oven\o/

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
When I was at Birks picking up My Shaper, We discussed a Shear that I had seen at his place a couple years earlier. I need to be able to cut my penny Farthings spokes to length easily. This was made by him and it works great!!! I plan on replicating it :borg:

As a note, He has some of those electrical crimpers. He has drilled extra holes in them near the shear points for the screws. This way if he needs to shear , say, 1/32" brass, It shears it off instead of pinching it like side cutters would. pretty smart!!!

Stay tuned :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »
Making some progress\0/ I managed to get my shaper fired up and made some chips. Even though they were small :lol: :lol: :lol: I had a little trouble with some backlash in the feed for the clapper and messed up two of my endcaps. But no worries. I'm having so much fun playing with the shaper I'll just make two more. Here is a quick video.

!
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2010, 11:05:59 PM »
I managed to get two more end caps turned today. I still have to mark them and shape the inner hole. I'm pretty excited about using my shaper today. I had some fun :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: I'll probably turn one of the messed up caps into a template to mark the outside shape on the rest of the end caps. I'll then need to think about that shear to cut the spokes to length. I'll try and get some good pictures of the final result soon.
Wesley P

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2010, 03:43:42 AM »
Nice little video Wes!  :clap:

Never thought of using an indexing head on a shaper. Probably 'cause I've not used one since the apprentice school, 1960......  ::)

Nice to see this project moving smoothly on again.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
More progress today\o/ I finished laying out some more lines.

The parts had some metal removed with the band saw.

I turned some jigs so I could hold the caps in my mill. Pretty simple stuff.

The jigs hold the part above the jaws really nicely.

After Milling I used my belt sander to round the ends.

One set of pedal end caps nearly finished. I'll finish sanding them tomorrow.

I still have to drill and tap the holes that hold the pedal rubber to size. I'll get this tomorrow also. Yeah, The pedals are almost done!!!
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
Nice work Wes! Looking good.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Thanks Eric! Hopefully It will all be worth it. I can't wait to ride it. It's taking longer than planed. I'll need to start making my shear for the spokes next. Lots of stuff to still figure out and build.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
Pedals are nearly done\o/ I mainly need to polish things up a bit and decide how to finish them. I would love to try and Nickle plate them. We'll have to see? Here are a couple more pictures of where all the pieces go.

This first picture is of that D shaped hole that took so long. It turned out really nice, I think

Here is everything assembled. They look great in Black and white.

Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
They look good period!

Tho I do like black and white photos a lot.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:31 AM »
Wes..... Yes, they DO look great!  :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

David D
David.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »
 :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: cracking job Wes  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

most impressed with the shaper action  :med:

Rob

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
Well I was going to hit the shear hot and heavy today. I had a bit of 4340 shaft that I am going to make my parts out of. I started cutting a couple slices off the end and my bandsaw went dull. GRRR... About a half hour after the store closes for the weekend. Guess It will have to wait till Monday.
Wesley P

Offline AndyB

• Cry 'god for Harry, England, and Drummond lathes'
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »
Hi Wes,

Bloody good show  :clap:

My grandfather used to make bicycles, mostly modifications to old ones, such as steering backwards (turn the bars left and the wheel goes right...never could figure out where the gearing was as it was all inside a standard headstock!), pedalling forwards and the bike went backwards, eccentric wheels etc.

They were all built for fun and used to raise money for his local community that he worked very hard for...at 8o years old he used to cut wood for the 'old people' who were in their 60's! :lol:

It is fascinating to see how your work is carried out.

Good luck with the rest.

Andy
Waveney Valley, Suffolk/Norfolk Border

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
I wanted to get the hubs finished up. Here is the rear hub. Today I mounted it in the arbor that I had made a while back. I used it in my lathe to machine the angles on the ends of the hub.

I then transferred the lot to my mill. I chucked it up in my dividing head and began drilling 20, 5-40 holes. I managed to do that without breaking a tap. Here you can see the angle that I drilled the holes too.

While my mill is all out of whack, I'm going to drill the front hubs. Stay tuned
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
Man there are a lot of holes in a hub!!! It took quite a while to drill and tap all 60 holes.

Working the dividing head... A friend snuck some pictures while I wasn't looking.

I center drilled all the holes so the drill bit wouldn't wander.

All done\o/

Next will be my little shear to start cutting spokes.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
How to lay out and drill the spoke holes has been bugging me. This 49" rim is kind of awkward to lay out and drill? So I have been working over in my head how to do this. I decided that I would need a jig to hold it. I started out with a floor flange and a piece of 1/2" pipe that is about 6" long. I chucked it in my lathe and faced the bottom off flat.

I then screwed that to a piece of scrap plywood that I had lying around.

I centered the rim on my jig and screwed it down with some wood clamps that I knocked together.

Here is a close up of my clamps.

I'll lay out the holes tomorrow.
Wesley P

Offline Artie

• Down here in the Aussie sunshine/heat :-)
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »
Im actually watching this with real interest, would be a great thing to own and ride... er.... can you?  Ride it that is.... I'd love something like this.... keep it going... you have an audience!  :clap: :coffee:
South Wales, wait...NEW South Wales... Batemans Bay.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2010, 08:31:12 PM »
I have never rode one. I hope it wont be long before I change that :D I'm glad that you are enjoying it.
Wesley P

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
Wes.
I'm loving this build. So many problems being overcome, in so many different ways.  :clap:

So much thinking outside the box.....  :thumbup:  ..... (My type of box, anyway!).  ::)

Keep on, keeping on!  :D

David D
David.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2010, 03:19:59 AM »
I've bin thinking hows he going to drill the rim  :scratch: Now I know, great bit of work Wesly thanks for posting.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave: