Author Topic: Another Noobie Here  (Read 2584 times)

Offline MattTheHat

• Texas Towers
Another Noobie Here
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:14:46 AM »
Just a quick post to say I'm glad to have found you folks. I've already perused many of the different sections and can tell I'm in fine company. I got my first lathe and mill a couple of months ago, mainly to help me hack up a 1911 pistol or two. I'm currently doing mill and lathe upgrades, trying to get my courage up to start hacking on some otherwise perfectly usable gun parts.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys. There's loads of very cool stuff here.

-Matt
"I like to hang upside-down blindfolded, then I take my gun apart and put it back together real fast before my nose begins to bleed." -Major Payne

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Another Noobie Here
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
Hiya Matt   :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

What mill and lathe do you have?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
Hi Matt.

Like Eric said, welcome to the collective.

Nice to have a few more gun people on board. I'd be afraid to hack on usable gun parts without practicing on some raw stock first.  :dremel:  :)

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline MattTheHat

• Texas Towers
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Well Bernd, I have a fine tradition of hacking perfectly good gun parts with a file, so why should the mill and lathe be any different? :bang: I'll can tell you a very sad tale about a perfectly good Delta Elite during a beavertail safety installation that would make you puke. Fortunately, a good friend of a good friend named Ted Yost took her in and fixed her all up better than I could have ever imagined. So I guess that one turned out well.

I've got a Grizzly G3103 mill and their G0609 10"x23" lathe, Eric. In fact, I just came in from cleaning up a 4" square of 1" steel plate that is supposed to become a new compound slide mount for the my lathe. The stocker is a bit flimsy and only uses two bolts to hold it to the carriage slide. It's only about a half inch thick, and is basically a lopped off circle, so there isn't a whole lot of bearing area.

I've done a few minor mods, mostly to the lathe. Except for facing my backplate to accept a 6-jaw chuck, everything else has been mostly nuts and bolts kind of stuff, like modifying the tailstock to give me a bit more travel, that sort of thing. Oh, and I made a draw bar for an ER32 collet chuck. I'd still like to get few more things done to the lathe before I get into anything more challenging. I've installed a QCTP which helped stiffen up the compound carriage. I'd like to install a VFD on both the lathe and the mill.

Anywho, thanks for the greeting, guys. You can be sure I'll be lurking around watching you guys for inspiration. Lots and lots of cool stuff here!

-Matt
"I like to hang upside-down blindfolded, then I take my gun apart and put it back together real fast before my nose begins to bleed." -Major Payne

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:40:18 AM »
Hi Matt

Sorry to be late but welcome to MadModder. I think that you will find lots here that will interest you . If you have any questions just ask as there is usually someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best