Author Topic: Another Aussie  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Colh

Another Aussie
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
Hi All

My names is Col.  I have been watching this forum for a while (with a couple of posts) so thought it was time for an intro.  I was going to wait until I had some pics of the workshop but will do a seperate post with those.

I live on the Sunshine Coast in SE Qld, Australia.  Been here in the sub tropical climate for about 6 years after moving from Canberra's cold winters (not as cold as some parts of US and UK - only gets a flurry of snow a couple of times a year but rarely settles).

I have a Hercus 260 lathe (Aussie version of the boxford) and an Emco FB1 mill.  More about those to follow with piccies my next post.  Iwas was lucky enought to get a small payout when the Government organisation I worked for was privatised and bought the workshop of an older bloke who was selling up as he didn't have time for the workshop and gardening and travel.  The machines came with a fair amount of tooling etc.

Got the machines about 10 years ago but have only recently finished the workshop here following the move from Canberra. Started making a 12" English Dial clock about 10 years ago in Canberra but that got sidelined while building the workshop.  I have now fallen into the trap of making tools so I can make more tools to finish the clock.  Just finished fitting a Shumatech DRO to the mill and then upgraded a cheap chinese drill press vice to eliminate jaw lift.  After a few more tools I would like to get into engines and have been watching some of the amazing happenings on HMEM.

Currently making Harold Halls grinding rest so I can sharpen milling cutters, drill bits, lathe tools etc.  Next on the list is a QCTP.  Dont get as much time in the shop as I would like as I still need to pay off the mortgage.

I will go into more detail on the machines and shop in my next post.

Col
Location - Geelong, Victoria, Aus

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Another Aussie
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »
Hi Col
We;come to MadModder. It looks like you have a good start to you shop. It seems like a never ending job making tools to make tools to make parts. If you have any question just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your shop and some of your projects as you have the time.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
Hiya Colh  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sounds like you have some good stuff. Would like to see the progress you have made on the clock.

Making the tools to make the tools that can make the parts. A fun trap but a trap none the less. Always get into making the tools (that make the tools) art themselves.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Col,
Hi and welcome from this side of the ponds....... :lol:

I'm interested in seeing how the grinding rest progresses...piccies please would be nice..

I'm thinking of making one myself to grind my own lathe tools...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors