Author Topic: Trillions of diamonds?  (Read 3965 times)

Offline cidrontmg

Trillions of diamonds?
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »
Hi, has anybody used (or seen for sale somewhere) this stuff: Quicken ® ?
" NanoLube™ is based on a patented breakthrough technology, sold under license and uses a newly discovered, synthetic Non-Detonation NanoDiamond to provide Mechanical Lubrication. This material was first created in 1999 and stemmed from Arnold's work in microwave synthesis synthetic diamond production in 1996."
" Superlubricity is provided not by the synthetic carrier oil - it comes from the trillions of extremely small, .1 to 4 nanometer synthetic diamond ball bearings that coat surfaces, which prevents metal contact. On average, it takes 80,000 NanoLube particles to span the width of a human hair - and all particles are spherical, synthetic diamond."

More at http://www.nanolube.net/
Seems too good to be true. But Jan Ridders obviously has seen and used it, so...   :scratch:
 :wave:
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Trillions of diamonds?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:08:01 PM »
Hmmm. Looks interesting. May splurge and buy some to give it a trial. Jan Ridders uses it? That is a good testimony...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline kwackers

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »
With my cynical cap on, wouldn't the tiny 'bearings' apply large amounts of pressure in tiny points to the bearings and potentially increase wear?

After all the cutting edge on a tool isn't particularly pointy when you get down to those sort of sizes. Even the grit in oxides is actually quite 'round', it's a combination of pressure (not much) and surface area (small) which gives the abrasive the ability to 'dig' in or a tool to cut.

The main thing with oil is the molecules are tiny and in theory have no ability to 'rip' metal. But the diamonds in this are actually particles small enough so that a tiny amount of pressure could force it into the metal?

I know very little about materials science I should add, so this isn't an informed opinion at all, merely a proposition/question  :scratch:

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
Hi kwackers,
my very thoughts about the subject, I´ve used diamond grinding paste, and it works really well... (as abrasive, not as lubricant).
The NanoTube site doesn´t actually claim that the diamond particles will act like small ball bearings, instead they offer this as the "mechanism" to lower friction:
" Originally we thought the nanometer particles provided roller action, however an updated mode of operation is to the right. Whatever the exact means, the results are extended part life, reduced friction and enhanced thermal management."
" Friction transfers our novel Non-Detonation NanoDiamond tm from the carrier oil to the friction surface. The .1nm  to 4nm particles embed into the upper regions of the friction surface - providing a coating similar to Diamond Like Carbon film, keeping those surfaces from touching, while reducing friction and preventing wear. Van der Whals attraction allows these small particles to stick to applied surfaces - even after the carrier oil has been removed."
Van der Whals I believe should be Van der Waals...
AFAIK, diamond and graphite have different molecular structures, graphite being "flat"(tish) molecular rings (as in benzene), diamond being tetrahedral crystals...   :loco:
Whatever. I ordered a small sample from the site ("Treats about 90 Fishing Reels"). If it works up to the hype, great. If not, I´ll give the rest to SWMBO, saying there´s trillions of diamonds in there...   :poke:
$15 for the advancement of science...
And yes, I got the link from Jan Ridders´s page. I don´t think he would have put it there without even trying the product, and without being reasonably satisfied (but I might be wrong in those assumptions...).
 :wave:   
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
I use a similar product.  I don't remember the name, I'll have to check when I get home.  Not diamond, but powdered graphite in a carrier.  The carrier flashes off, leaving the graphite behind and it lasts a very long time.  It wicks into tight spaces, so a drop will do for most applications.

It is also extremely messy, being an ultra fine graphite powder and a very thin solvent as the carrier.  Get it on your fingers, and they will be blackened for days, longer around your fingernails.
Creating scrap, one part at a time