Author Topic: Lathe Motor Playing Up  (Read 3627 times)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
Lathe Motor Playing Up
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
 :doh: I think I may have mentioned in one of my posts, I think my lathe motor is playing up. I was turning something once and it started making a slightly weird noise and then the thermal overload switch cut it out. Now it starts but will only run for a couple of minutes or if you put a decent cut on it will trip straight away.

I was thinking it could be the run capacitor, i took the cover off and pulled the lower value 30uF cap out. It looks like the cover on one end has slightly popped off and the other end looks like it might have melted slightly, but I'm not 100% convinced - does anybody think it could be this?

I've found some for around the £8 mark so am going to try to get one, i'm off up to the metro centre on Sun and there's a Maplin electronics place there - I've checked and they have one the right size, only prob is it has spade terminals rather than flying leads so I'll have to make my own I guess. Alternatively there are some on ebay but that'd mean waiting for delivery. Doesn't look like I'm going to get much done this weekend either then  :(

Hopefully this cap will solve the problem and the problem won't reoccur. Is there any way of testing it with a multimeter?

Many thanks,

Nick

Offline SKIPRAT

• Gainsborough Lincolnshire England
Re: Lathe Motor Playing Up
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »
Hi Nick

i had a start capacitor blowing on my lathe motor an i got one from my local motor rewind shop i have one about a mile from where i live if i remember rightly it cost around £8.00 it is an item most motor rewind shops keep in stock.

Cheers Paul
One Mans Junk Is Another Man's Treasure G6FOW

Offline John Swift

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
Hi Nick,

have a look at rapidoline.com for leaded motor run capacitors

if you fit the maplin capacitor with the lucar / spade connector

use a good quality connector and not the " pound shop " type made of soft thin metal

you could solder the wires on I suppose

John

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:52 AM »
Another post of mine missing, must be due to the outage.  :doh:

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:58:35 AM »
Cheers for replies anyway guys,

I got one from Maplin as we were at the metrocentre. It was about £9 but had 4 terminals, I gathered these were so you could connect something in parallel so I assumed you connect either side of the embossed line and it seems to work so that's the main thing. I used some connectors that I had left over from a bit of car rewiring I did so they seemed decent quality.

Rapid are good though, I remember using those in the past.

Tested the lathe the other day making those bushes and touch wood it's not cut out again since,  :thumbup:

nick

Offline John Swift

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
Hi Nick

i've lost a reply as well

since the new owners took over , maplin is not as good at providing technical data

If you hadsearched for LCRCAPACITORS and  looked for the data sheet at 

lcrcapacitors.co.uk/motorunpdfs/240series.pdf

you will see the info you wanted

the main thing is your lathe is now working

John