Author Topic: Old Drill Press  (Read 4980 times)

Offline marshon

• Doh!
Old Drill Press
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm putting together a 'micro shop', but being as poor as a church mouse everything is being done on the cheap.
I wanted a drill press and managed to pick one up that was going for scrap for £5.00 GBP (less than 10 bucks)

The chuck was broken and the quill rack and pinion was in bad shape. I have had to machine a new spindle (a challenge on a Unimat I can tell you).
After a months work I have managed to get it to the stage you can see in the pictures. What I would like to know is, does anybody recognise it? There are no manufacturers marks on any of the castings. I have been told that it is circa 1900 and it seems that it was originally driven from a common shaft via a lay shaft pulley at the rear. I have configured it as a baby camelback to reduce the strain on the head casting, but the idler arrangement I have temporarily machined is inadequate. I would ideally like to try and find some references to the idler arrangement that would have been originally fitted.

Anyway, operation is now smooth and clean with runout at a tad under 2 thou, and very little end play. It obviously needs some proper round drive belting fitted, some ball handles .... when I can afford to sort them out .....

Simon

Offline chuck foster

Re: Old Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
hi simon  :wave:

i don't know anything about your drill press but all i can say is.............that is one cool looking drill press and you have done a great job restoring it  :clap: :dremel: :thumbup:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Real nice job Simon.  Looks brand new.   Makes me want to restore my Swayne Robinson Series 100 lathe I have had for about 35 years.  ironman
Waco, Texas

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »
Hi Simon

Nice work ,,,,,looks great  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Rob

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
aint nothing wrong with building u tool supply on the cheap im all for it ya.  nice drill press by the way :proj:

Offline RollaJohn

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:31 AM »
Simon, I don't have any information about your drill press. For ball ends on the handles one thing that I have used, if size is appropiate, is golf balls. Drilled with  a hole and a dab of epoxy to hold them onto the spokes. The price can be inexpensive unless you must have new top of the line examples.

The style of the drive method and the curved arm support frame is/was fairly common on sewing machines for closing bags and also metal stitching machines that fed a continuous length of narrow flat wire which was cut to length by the machine then formed into staples for closing the bottom flaps of cardboard cartons. The belting was most likely a round leather belt originally but now most often a polyurethane belt is used.

Offline Vile

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 08:22:14 AM »
Looks a bit like this?:
(The pulleys)

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2809.0

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:26:09 AM by Vile »