Author Topic: Refinished Miter Gauge  (Read 6297 times)

Offline Rog02

• Madmodder Committee
Refinished Miter Gauge
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
This miter gauge came with a Craftsman 6X48 belt/disc sander I acquired a few months ago. It was basically in decent shape excepting the usual dirt, grunge and chipped paint.

Over the course of a couple of evenings I stripped the paint and repainted it using Rust-O-Leum Smoke gray (same color I am using on my Delta 14" BS project). The knob got run through the vibratory and refinished using a silver color coat followed by clear urethane top coat, which closely matches the original color. After baking the paint to cure (200*F for 2 hours) every thing was nice and shiny but the degree marks were a bit had for my old tired eyes to read, so the next evening I mixed up a rather thinner rich bit of white oil base enamel and set to work.

To fill the recessed degree marks and numbers I use a small art brush and apply the paint generously over the recesses insuring the paint fills the marks and numbers. A bit of over run is preferable so don't worry, just make sure you fill the recesses. Once I have a small section filled (I worked in 20 degree segments on this) I used a small (1 1/2" wide) plastic squeegee to remove the excess paint, wiping the blade with a thinner rag between each swipe. Once I had completed the paint and squeegee process I go back over the surrounding areas with a slightly dampened Q-Tip to remove any residual paint haze. I normally use a urethane squeegee, but since I was doing this in my home garage I did not have one available so I used a new "bondo" spreader I had handy.

I can't say if the gauge came from the factory with the scale detailed, but it sure does make it easier to read.

For etched data plates (where the lettering stands proud of the background field) that have the lettering painted I use an "inking roller" (available from art supply store). I don't thin the paint at all (actually the thicker the paint the better) and begin by spreading a bit of paint on a sheet of glass. I then "ink" the roller by rolling it back and forth through the paint until I have entire surface coated and the roll the data plate which color coats the raised lettering, leaving the recessed area clean.

I use these methods to restore aircraft data plates frequently. There are other methods that work as well, but this is the one I have the best luck with. It took a few attempts to perfect my technique, but not to worry, you can wipe away the mess with a thinner rag and try again. A bit of patience and practice will pay off with nicely detailed data plates and scales.

As usual, YMMV.
Roger
I'm OLD, I'm TIRED, and I'M GRUMPY!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Refinished Miter Gauge
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »
Nice job!

Some good tips you have there! Thanks.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
Re: Refinished Miter Gauge
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
Fair do's Rog, when you clean something up you don't muck about!!!  :clap:   :thumbup:

I should hope for such patience!!

Nice work indeed Sir.

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!