After dealing with all the recent health issues and getting most things under control, I just couldn't seem to get my head back into the Tandem Compound project. I finally decided to set it aside for a while, at least until I can backtrack and pick up on where things were going when I left off. The whole episode kind of left me in burn out mode and in need of a break from making chips. That didn't mean I was going to sit idle.
I trekked down to south Georgia, a few weeks ago and brought home a project of a whole different sort. I owned one of these 20 odd years ago and in a moment of frustration, sold it and regretted doing so, ever since. For the uninitiated, this is what is known as a VW "Rail Buggy" or "Sand Rail". When properly equipped, titled and licensed it is a perfectly street legal vehicle in the state where I live. I'd been watching for one in recent days and finally fund the old school frame design I'd always wanted, about 300 miles away. Here is how it looked when I dragged it home behind my trusty Expedition.
It had been through quite a number of owners and needed more than a little tender loving care, not to mention quite a bit of attention from a BFH, but it was what I needed to begin the new project. Every owner seemed to have added something ugly to it, with the last owner getting a a whole lot wild with his paint gun. I spent the first week simply removing things and getting the frame stripped back enough to get a fresh start. What I soon found was that the original builder took care to get almost everything right, giving me a good base to work from.
I sold the engine shown above to another buggy owner, mostly because I don't trust an unknown builder nor an engine that I know nothing of its specifications. I've seen too many badly built VW engines give up the ghost at the most inopportune moments. The first order of business was to buy another engine, from my preferred builder. It probably didn't hurt that the cylinders are slightly oversized from stock, with a long duration cam and racing heads, but I'm not admitting it....(grin). The fact that it was on his personal play vehicle only made me even more comfortable with it.
New this and new that, a bit of aluminum diamond plate, coil over shocks, a complete rewire, rear disc brakes and a whole lot of fitting things to my preference ensued. I finally got the new wheels and tires on it today and decided to shoot a few more photos.
It's almost "finished", lacking only the dual carbs that are currently enroute from California. The grandkids are thrilled with the new toy and the teenagers who visit next door now mention me as being "the cool old guy with the wild new ride. It's getting damned expensive to be as eccentric as my grandchildren think I am, especially since the seem to keep raising the bar. The neat thing is that "Her Indoors" thinks the new ride is cool and has yet to complain about the money I've spent. I think I'll keep her too....LOL
4 weeks of head scratching fun and bloody knuckles can do a lot to reset one's attitude....... and I even got to use my machine tools a number of times, making this thread on topic....(grin)