Author Topic: A few pics of my shop...  (Read 46167 times)

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
A few pics of my shop...
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
I have taken quite a few pics of my shop before I had it sorted out and after (a few moths back)

now having just put a new bench under my little(still bloody heavy) mill. I thought I'd post most of the pics here for your ammusement ;D

The old lathe position... On top of my cluttered work bench!

Now this pic is very important....Half way through the shake up! It shows the mess that was in there... and the lack of good under bench storage!!

The new lathe position - on top of a sturdy metal bench with drawers and a cupboard ;D  (note the big bit of wood half way down the new bench.... this will be seen a little later slightly modified ;) )

The new bench under construction....

And finished... with trays for jobs that can be interchanged giving you a new worksurface without having to find somewhere for your unfinished project to go.

The pull out work surface on ball bearing runners and made from very sturdy 30mm ply. this allows me to sit with my legs under it since the bench is fully loaded  ;D (have you seen this before?  :D )

Then my donated 18" scraped surface table

My donated toggle press (what a beast!!!)

and finally the mill... in it's old position on top of an old rusting 2 drawer filing cabinet!!

And now as of last night.... It's super new bench with roller bearing drawers and strut assisted floor storage door.....

Well it makes me happy  ;D   :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: A few pics of my shop...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »
Have to say Ralph, nice use of space. The problem with to much space like I have ti takes you longer to find tools.  :P

I like your idea of interchangeable tables for different projects.  :thumbup: That's a first for me.

We should see some really good looking projects come out of that new shop,  right.  :beer:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
We should see some really good looking projects come out of that new shop,  right. 

Well that's the plan chief!!!  :thumbup: .

Glad you like the bench idea.... it's not mine though!! Got it off another member on the engine site.... Still does exactly what it should, 3 shelves are in use at the moment!!  ;D

Next up is re-setting the mill vise/RT then I'm back in business. (all of 10 min's!)

Ralph.

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:13:12 AM »
very well done, great ideas. I was once told that the biggest problem with to much space is that you tend to find equipment or tools to fill the space and then you have no extra space. :D

The other thing is natures law about flat horizontal spaces that the accumulate stuff at a rate to the sq fT or sq mete of area. So the sliding work surfaces should help in that regard. won't have to claer or look for a space to put the current project bits and pieces down.

glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
Glen,

I dream of too much space to fill... The machines I could cram into a much larger shop  :D

One day I'll get that bigger shop sorted.... Not this side of 2010 though me thinks!

Glad you like the workspace, it serves me well.

Ralph.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:16:11 AM »
Some good ideas there Ralph. I had been on and off thinking of a swappable bench top setup for my seldom used tools... One of these days I am going to do it.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
Well Eric, one of those days came for me when I couldn't find anything anymore!!

Now with my new mill bench in place I am going to have a much more organised set of tooling..... Then I am going to have to work at keeping it that way!!!  :hammer:

It is a good feeling when you get a little organization in your shop  ;D

Ralph.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »
It is a good feeling when you get a little organization in your shop  ;D

Ralph,

Can you please send me two bucketful's of "organization", Oh, and a small bag of "Bling" I'll stick a cheque in the post  8)

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »
Yer Chief, no worries.... I'll package them all up with a dolop of elbow grease and a hell of a long wait and send them along  :thumbup:   :D

How goes you and your little collection of machinery? .... You made anything interesting recently?

Ralph.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
Cheers Ralph, drop em at the Bus Stop next to the long stand and no doub't I'll get em when whoever gets a round tuit  8)

Have I made anything interesting ............ errr .........   no, not really, from time to time I try and increase my skill in making large lumps of metal into smaller ones, and that's going quite well, as a side effect I am making lots of small Christmas trimmings  ::)

Do you remember a few months back when you frightened me to death explaining how I should fit anew chuck / backplate to my lathe ............ well I've taken the plunge ............. and made a   :hammer: :bugeye: ::) of it .................  I missed the correct spigot diameter by a few thou

However having had a chat with Bogsie  ;D ............ I'm now at stage 2 stage 3  ;) ............. once the chuck is cooked I'll report back.

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 06:39:34 AM »
Chuck cooking!!! New post CC?

I remember it well ;D I made mine a slight interferance fit...(no cooking/freezing) Got it spot on in the end.... Another first which took me a little time to get my head around!!

Good luck  ;)

Ralph.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 04:00:37 PM »
Well it's been a long time since anything has hit this thread so....

I've been a little busy last week and today.

Last week was mostly workshop re-organisation. Largely hogged by the addition of a new sturdier mill bench with storage.

The bench was too big so I re-sized it! ....

stripped and ready

cut off.

using the cabinet supposrt brackets that are no longer needed.

Fitted with one bolt, the other bolt goes through the cabinet as well.

And then a nice new worktop and fit the mill to it  :)

Lots of space to re-organise etc

Well that was last week.... Then  I got a call on Tuesday offering me something new..... (well to me)

A mill!!! For relatively cheap money too  :thumbup:

Got a bit of rust on the bed   :(   But I'll hopefully have it looking and working well by next week?

Oh..... And it's got a power feed on it!!!  :borg:    :D

Well that's it till I get it sorted and in place, then I just have to sell my old mill!

Ralph.

:offtopic:
P.S. Been playing with a re-sizer program, has it made a difference to the upload/view speed?  Do the pic's need to be smaller again?

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:09:15 PM »
Glad to see your back at it in the shop Ralph. Have missed your plesentries (sp?).

Ya pics need to be made smaller. Right now they're 1024 X 768 pixels. I think they should be around 800 X 600 or 640 X 480.

That mill looks a little short. Is that the table in the upper left corner?

Still waiting to see those sphere's made for the Aeoipile. I saw that punch press as I scrolled through this thread.  :poke:
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »
K, I'll re-set the pic's.... pix!  :)

Yup, that's it alright, it's in two bits, and on it's head in the garage at the mo'.

Tomorrow evening I'll start cleaning it up.... I'll not bore you with what many have seen a thousand times... There's plenty of strip/cleans on here as you know Bernd  :thumbup:

I've still got to see if it'll fit in the workshop! It's much larger in the head than my current mill and the power feed adds a bit sideways too!

In the other top corner, you can just make it out if you squint! A "porta power"... Donated  :thumbup:  That's possibly the next start on the Aeolipile?? should be able to use the current dome in a press (yet to build!) to make a high powered hydraulic press?  Or I could do like Wes and try some spinning? Anyway, that's a huge roundtuit right there!!

All good things Bernd, all good things....   :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
Ralph and Bernd

I think that the 800 x 600 size works pretty good for most people. The larger sizes seem to slow things down if there are more than a couple of photos in a thread. Nice mod to the mill bench Ralph. Will it be big enough to hold the new mill?

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 05:10:12 PM »
Nice mod to the mill bench Ralph. Will it be big enough to hold the new mill?

Well Don, to be honest I haven't measured it yet. Partly cause I fear the result and partly cause it might mean me using the stand that came with it and that'll mean I lose all my newly structured milling machine bits drawers!

Should be ok???  :scratch:

Pic's size duly noted  :thumbup: 

Ralph.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
I haven't measured it yet. Partly cause I fear the result 

:smart: ............. bite the bullet mate  :dremel: ......... what's the worst that can happen  :bugeye:

As for picture size I use 504x378  ........... 600x450 or 640x480 also work well, above that it can be a bit slow particularly for anyone on dial-up.

This is a dam good resizing program .......PixResizer

Anyway, ........ more info on the new mill required asap ........ can't see enough from the pics ...... the old one has given great service mate, can't see it looking for a new home for long  :headbang:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »
Anyway, ........ more info on the new mill required asap ........ can't see enough from the pics ......

Well.... It's a fair bit larger than the old one, huge on the top in comparison

smaller mill

bigger mill

I know, naf pic's. I had my mind on other things.... you may glean some more info in a min? Got a bit of a post coming.....

There is a 13" spindle to bed gap, which is nice. A slightly deeper table, far more speeds to choose from, oh, and a 300 quid power feed on the end!!!!   :ddb:

Pix re-sizer I got is great.... all sorted now  :thumbup:  I just didn't have a clue my old pic's were causing so much trouble!?!

Right, next a post on the activities of the morning....

Ralph.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Ok, so here's a little about what I've been upto... I'll put some other stuff in the gallery in a mo'

I had to remove a bit of neglect first.... I'd layered it in penetrating oil the night before to aid in it's removal.

Used a scraper first, then a little 1200 emery, WD derivative and a nice flat stone to keep it all as true as possible..

Then spent a couple of hours removing the smaller mill and putting this one in it's place and repairing the power feed wiring (my heart damn near stopped when it didn't work!!)

These are the current "in" pic's I have... I might get a propper one some day, but it's hard to get far enough back to take it!!

Well that's about it for this post now.... unless you want to see this?

:zap: Power at the twist of a few bits!!!  :ddb:   :D  :ddb:  :headbang:

Smiley happy Ralph.  :)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »
Ralph

Looks like you got yourself a nice mill there with some nice capabilities. You best invest in a scoop shovel now as you will be able to make the chips fly in fine style now.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
Cool  :headbang: power feeds are great .............. just don't get distracted whilst it's doing it's thing  

Have you seen thee thread where a new OK member is looking for a small milling machine btw, perhaps you two should have a chat :thumbup:

Good to see you making chips mate   :thumbup: ................... I really must sort out my workshop, the gear-knob came off the Van today (second one in the last 12 months) and at £40 a time and as the design is "pants" ............... all I need is a round ally ball and a grub screw .............. then a way of scribing the markings .......... OK must make a ball turner for the Boxford  :dremel:

CC
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:58:25 PM by CrewCab »

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
................... the gear-knob came off the Van today (second one in the last 12 months) and at £40 a time and as the design is "pants" ............... all I need is a round ally ball and a grub screw .............. then a way of scribing the markings .......... OK must make a ball turner for the Boxford  :dremel:

Or just buy an ally doorknob, complete with grubscrew, from B&Q.....

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:55:30 PM »
Or just buy an ally doorknob, complete with grubscrew, from B&Q.....

Could be quicker ..............   :beer:

CC  :thumbup:

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »
Don,
I got it covered... A dust pan and brush, 2 Dyson hoovers in need of repair and an old Vax hoover too  :)

First chips to fly should be tomorrow  :thumbup:

CC,
Distractions should be handleable (not that I ever take my eyes off the prize when power is running on any machine) I've got the travel cut out switch to mount tomorrow eve   :zap:

You shouldn't be so rough on the van!!  :whip:  :lol:

Was that meant to say a new UK member?  I did say a bit on my machine in a thread that sounds like the one you're on about.... Nothing yet?

Regardless of the lateral thinking of Andy (never thought of that one!). You should make a ball turner :poke:   :)  You'll get some stuff made with it too then..... What's up with your workshop? Have you packed it with loads of builders junk??

Ralph.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
Yup ........... mew = new  :bugeye: ............ hopefully I've ammend it  :thumbup:

Workshop = time;  at the present there is a distinct lack of "free time" ........... dam  :hammer:

have fun with the new Mill  :headbang:

CC

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 08:41:25 PM »
have fun with the new Mill   :headbang:

Ok then.....

How's this for a test piece?

That's the machine finish  :jaw: picked up a little on the interrupted cuts bout 2/3rds along.... But it'd have gone if I'd done the full finish

And then a little fettle with some liquid brass polish and a cloth...

And then a run with an endmill...

All in all very damn pleased with the whole thing  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Workshop = time;  at the present there is a distinct lack of "free time" ........... dam   :hammer:
Been doing that for the past few months myself!!! I find ignoring the TV and not sitting down on the standby button on my rear when I get in from work helps!  :)

Ralph.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
That's a nice finish Ralph ....  :)

No doubt you'll find the bigger one easier and more versatile to use  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »
Yup, it'll probably get better once I sharpen up the flycutter too  :dremel:

No doubt you'll find the bigger one easier and more versatile to use 

Well, there's certainly much better feeling to the fine feed of the spindle and it's much sturdier.... I haven't even bolted it down yet!

Versatile.... I'm not too sure? The head doesn't tilt like the other mill, I found this a very useful feature in the past. I suppose I'll have to get used to figuring sine bars and that stuff out!?

Still very happy with the whole deal  :)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
Nice Mill you got there Ralph!  :thumbup: Saving for a new one myself. Can't wait to see what you do with it. BTW, your stand has given me some ideas...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
Just a few things to add to this then I'll be leaving it for a while.... I don't see any more BIG purchases for a while!

These are a few things that came with the mill.... Just figured one out the other day (good job I didn't destroy the original drawbar!)

cause I got this that needs it!

Horizontal milling attachment!! took me a few days to figure out how it mounted, then the adapter sleave fell out and it left the correct bit to slip over the quill and grubscrew into position  :) 

it's got a monster thread on it and an MT2 taper in the spindle (baby drawbar too!)

And then there is this.... Monster flycutter!

Can anyone shed some light on what this bit does?  I have no idea  :scratch:

Not the best pic's granted, but it has that bit at the top on the second pic that twists slightly left and right (up and down?) and clicks into 3 positions. You see the lever that has 2 small pins either side of it and then the 2 long pins sticking out of the other end..... I have absolutely no idea as to it's purpose??

Well, that's it for tool gloat of the day!!  :)

See if I can use it for anything now??

Ralph.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
Hi Ralph

You got some cool extras there :dremel: ,  looks like a Myford nose on your , H/Z attachment , Your fly cutter ,,,Westbury boring head , an automatic facing/boring  head , The part with the two pronges on is part of the feed mecanisum ,and is fixed , as the head rotates , the pronges catch the feed wheel and put a cut on ,  and it looks like a 3mt  with myford nose so it will fit the mill drill :thumbup:

Cheers Rob
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:51:55 AM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
Your fly cutter ,,,Westbury boring head , an automatic facing/boring  head
   ooooh! Cool   :dremel: 

Sounds a lot more exciting than I thought :headbang:

Now I'll just have to figure it out!   :scratch:     :lol:

It has a MT2 taper but that could soon be remedied!

Thanks for the Knowledge Rob.

I'm gonna have some fun with all these bits  :ddb:

Ralph.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 10:11:54 PM »
Well I figured I had time to finally let you guys see my new workshop renovations.... Only been doing them since April!!

First there was a new composite door with PVC frame that came for free.... I know  :jaw:  Donations are always welcomed  :)

Then more recently there was the roof, the seams were cracked and the rain was pouring through, soaking into the joists and dripping into buckets and bins were used to catch a lot of it.... Only been doing it for 2 years  :bang:
So we covered all the machines

And ripped the roof off  :)

Then there were the wall plates, rotted to the point of crumbling and allowing water to run down the back wall all over my clamping kit for the mill. Filled it with water and started to corrode before I noticed too. Sorted with a wire brush and a whole lotta oil!

So, add some new wall plates and joists (4x2 treated), sticky flash the wall plate to the back and side walls before the sheets were laid to help prevent the rotting, screw all the plates down to the blocs with super masonry screws that only need a 6mm hole (no plugs) and then start to fit the new 16mm twin wall roof sheets.

And finally after 13 hours of hard labour....  :whip:    (Me and me old dad ain't roofers!    ::)  )

A nice view through the new roof  :D

Well, at least now I'll be able to survive the winter (not that summer has hit properly yet?)

Now I've just got to tidy it all up  ::)

Ralph.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »
Good fix Ralph  :thumbup:

How many tomatoe plants have you got in there then  :D

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »
Looking Good Ralph  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 04:10:32 AM »
You've started working on the house Ralph?

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 05:31:39 AM »
Looks great Ralph, I love the natural lighting you will have!
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »
Thanks guys,

How many tomato plants have you got in there then  :D

Just me Stew, just me  :)

You've started working on the house Ralph?
Not quite chief.... This is my workshop at my parents house..... I'm gonna get that house of mine sold off and start again  ::)

I love the natural lighting you will have!

I will too John, when I get a chance to get out there!  :dremel:

Some day soon I'll organise my time a little better..... Get a few of those Tuits out of the way  :coffee:

Ralph.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:21 AM »
Not got long.... But I had to post this......

:D :) :D :zap:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :zap:  :ddb:  :ddb: :ddb:  :ddb:  :zap:   :D   :) :D

Lots do do over the next few days  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 04:11:07 PM »
Good fix Ralph  :thumbup:

How many tomatoe plants have you got in there then  :D

Stew

Thems not tomato plants.....More like wacky bakkie... :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:20 AM »
Hi where did you get your DRO's as i cannot see that one on Allendale's site..

looks good cannot wait to see you fit it as I  am after one soon.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 05:06:05 AM »
Non of that stuff here John. I don't even do alchyhol  :med:  :)

Peter, it was from them. It's the 3 axis universal head.
I can't sort you a link out as my computer is goosed again and i'm typing on my phone!

Now. I've just spent my friday evening and most of my Saturday fitting my new purchase. Only to have the Y axis not work  :(

I just don't get it  :scratch: I spent hours getting the scales perfect to the machine and then one just won't work?
Most annoying.

Don't suppose anyone has much kmowledge of these do they? Symptoms are : the last numeral flickering violently between 0 and 5 when the hand wheel is moved.

Any help welcomed... :wave:

Ralph.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
Ralph,

Don't ask for help and try to fix it yourself.

Allendale will be open tomorrow and a quick phone call will have all the right answers for you.

It might be that the read head has been damaged in transit somehow, and if that is the case, there is nothing you can do. Just let them replace it.

BTW, I gather you HAVE removed the little plastic transport pieces before trying to move the heads with the handles. Obvious I know, but I tried to do it once when modding my tailstock setup, and it didn't like it much.

John

Blast, forgot to ask, does it work other than the last digits flickering? If it does, then set it up for a four digit readout when in imperial rather than 5, what it might be trying to do is to give you a readout in half of one tenth of one thou.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:05:05 AM by Bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 07:03:15 AM »
Hi John,

I read all the installation instructions at least twice before I even unpacked the scales.
Spending that much money i was going to take as much care as I could.

Took the plastic bits off and gapped the heads to 3mm as instructed. Spent over an hour last night checking everything to make sure it was all correct.

It is just the last one flickering. All of the others do nothing.

Planning on calling them tomorrow... Just looking for any assistance. Most depressed with the situation  :(

Think there is a bracket missing too? Can't see any way of mounting the display? The main arm is there, pictured above. But nothing else? Could you get of a pic of how the display is mounted to your mill please?
Just so I know what I'm asking for!

Ralph.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
Sorry about the delay, after my mate called today and plugged his flash drive into my computer, I can't get my computer to display my camera icon, so I can't access it. Anyway, I used another camera and swapped cards over to get to the pics.

As you can see, they are only a single bar mount, you can just see the two ends amongst the garbage hanging off the back of mine in the top shot. One end is bolted and levelled up to the machine, and the spigot on the bottom of the display head drops in a hole on the other end of the bar.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Thanks John, just what I needed to see.
It was the round bit on the head unit end that confused me.
I know I have the bracket now. :)

BTW, my computer is toast so no picture posts in the foreseeable future.... Unless the local techy puter nerd can help me out? Watch this space....

Ralph.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:29 AM »
:drool:   Nice purchase you'll be pleased to punch when you get it working.

I had a similar problem a quick phone call and they had me sorted, you have to set the software up in the reader you press the top right input button hold it down for about 10 seconds, then just follow the promps, it will only take a few seconds, there are instructions in the book.

I know I know real men don't read instructions  :D :D :D

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:42 AM »
I forgot to ask Ralph, it might be a stupid question, but have you tried swapping the read head over onto another axis on the display box?

That would definitely isolate it to either the read head or display that was giving you the trouble.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »
Well gents, state of play is thus.....
 :ddb: :) :ddb: :D :) :ddb: :headbang: :) :D :ddb:   

or something like that  :thumbup:

It's alive!  :zap:   

I called Alendale and went through a few fault isolation procedures.... Needless to say, I moved the Y  axis lead to the Z axis port and it worked? So I then moved it back to the Y port and it worked!?

I called Allendale to let them know it  was ok and panic was over. I was told to remove the plug again and check for bent pins or even open thd plug up to look for faulty connections.

So I removed the plug again and went to inspect thd pins.... Erm, well cough, erm..... A tiny flake of aluminium swarf between 2 pins  :doh:   feeling a little daft and a huge amount relieved!  :)

did some experimental procedures on it tonight.... This is going to be so very cool     :borg:

Ralph.

Offline DennisWA

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
Ralph -  I am following this with great interest.  :clap:
Cheers

Dennis

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »
whats up with the PC need any bits ?

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2011, 02:58:17 AM »
Hi Dennis, Peter  :wave:  I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can get near a real computer. I know it's a little boring without  ::)

My phone is doing quite well but slow typing and typos needing attention. Very awkward getting pic's sorted too.

The computer won't even boot up! I think it needs the nerd touch!  :hammer: If I hadn't just purchased the DROs I'd have just got a new computer!

Still, DROs are brilliant  :smart:

Ralph.

lordedmond

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »
Ralph

these are cheap for a simple PC not sure how much power you need

A mate has one as they are local and it runs well and quiet

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Computers

£ 125 approx for a base and £175 in monitor   note you buy the OS but you have that from the due one  :)

Stuart
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:59:35 AM by lordedmond »

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2011, 05:12:57 AM »
Last month, I replaced a 12 year old desktop and its bulky monitor with a £150 second-hand setup from here: http://www.computerclearances.co.uk/ .

Came with XP Pro and Open Office installed, R/W DVD drive and wireless card. The specs didn't mention a floppy drive, and though one was fitted, it wasn't connected so I fitted the cables out of the old machine and that got it it going. No audio amplifier, so I had to buy a pair of cheap speakers with integral amp to hear anything. 

So far, I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
Well.... I just spent about an hour writing a full blown post on my works and it got erased when my mum's computer decided to shut down IE8... POS!  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :bang: :bang: :bang:
So here we go again!

Thanks for the tips fellas, will look into them if my tech nerd fails (shouldn't do.) at least I have every picture and video saved on 2 external hard drives

Now, on to the mill....

First was to butcher a few of the brackets provided with the DROs....

In the instructions it has all sorts of jiggery pokery with a finger/dial gauge... I opted for a different approach, being so damn lazy!   :coffee:

My little Wixey digital angle meter. accurate to 0.1 of a degree will do me.  (thanks for the batteries John  :thumbup: )
This approach will work just fine as it's set to zero on the mill table and then used to make sure the brackets are square to the table.

The rear mounting plate for the 2 part shield is fitted, the good thing about this is it is the mountig plate for the scales with the holes pre drilled and tapped.
So once it is in position the scales should be too... Checked with the wixey .... Spot on!

My mill foot is angled so I needed to set the bracket away at the top till it was plumb with the mill table.
Using the wixey on it's side it was zeroed on the mill table and then the plate moved out at the top till it read zero, making it the same. It needed an ~3mm gap at the top so 2 pieces of 1/8 HSS steel were employed as packers and once they were wriggled into position and all was tight it was checked again with the wixey.

This is actually plumb with the mill table!

Another bracket butchered and the drop bracket and spacer are created and fitted...

The rear scale is fitted in much the same way but I had to fab up a new bracket from scratch to fit around the oil nipples and
fit to existing holes since I couldn't get the drill in without removing the mill's column.... Erm, no chance!

Can we say "bodge it and scarper clamping method" ?  Well doesn't everyone use a piece of 6mm threaded bar in a pinch :scratch:

Fitted. ready for test (see above posts for that! )

Last bit of fab'n'fit, the mounting of the head. There is absolutely no where on my mill to fit the mounting bracket.
so it's on the wall with it!

And my first attempt at programing. The pocket mill feature. Shallow as a test on a bit of the left over bracket they supplied.....worked a treat!

Well, that's it. Now for a bit of round tuit catch up...

Ralph.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
Nice one Ralph, your machining accuracy has just got at least 100% better, despite the cobbled up jobs on the brackets (I did the same with a couple of mine).

I found it bliss not having to compensate for backlash, and as you have seen how I work, the handles and their scales are never looked at, I rely purely on the truthfulness of all my Sino DRO's, and not once have they let me down.

BTW, put the protective cover on the display head, they really do keep it protected from swarf and keeps it nice and clean from those grubby fingers poking it all the time.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
Cheers John,

Lots to get to grips to!

The cover is on now too, went on shortly after pic was taken.

I'm away on a course for work for the next two days so no playing  :(

But will get some new stuff made soon. And all barely looking at the cutter or the work  :D

Ralph.

PeeWee

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2011, 03:07:11 AM »
Looking good there Ralph,  hoping to install mine shortly  :clap:

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:56 AM »
Mine arrived from Singapore and after 4 weeks no bill for any duty etc even though the box was opened by HMG as witnessed by the special sticky tape they closed the package with. Having been on hols for three weeks I cant see when, in the near future, I will get round to understanding how to install it on the Centec.
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline DennisWA

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
Ralph....Thanks for the quick pictures despite your computer sagas.
Well done on your install and first milling job  :thumbup: I'm sure milling will be a load more fun and faster to boot.  :beer:

cheers
Dennis

lordedmond

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Ralph

In your pic of the head unit on the wall with the cable clipped up and the unit plugged in,   I do not see a ground wire from the Head unit to the mill , maybe not required for your unit , but my Newall has to have one ( they are quite specific about this ) , yes the head unit is fed from a power brick so is double insulated, the reason given is that it cleans up the reader signals .

just a point but might be worth checking

Stuart

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Thank you Ian, I'm still interested in the swithing system you talked about too...  a few photo's would be good  :thumbup:

Anzaniste, watch out for the bit where the invoice comes through the door! They have had me that way in the past.The invoice turned up a few weeks later!  :doh:
Hope it all goes well though. A few pic's in your thread wil be good too.  I've still not done much at the mo' I've been so very busy these last few weeks  ::)

Hi Dennis, Hopefully it will be a lot of fun.. Tomorrow is ear marked for learning to program PCDs and test a few ideas out too  :)
Glad you  liked the pic's. It really was a mission getting them up here, and when the computer crashed and I lost the whole first post....   :bang: and the air was blue too!  :lol:

Stuart, Thanks for the nudge, I had fitted the lead when Iwas trying to get it to work but when it made no difference I removed it!
There was no mention of it by Allendale when I was trying to find out diagnostic hints? But I will look back over the instructions and see what it's all about.
Cleaner signals can't be bad  :thumbup:

Here's to a bit of fun and accurate machining  :beer:

Ralph.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 04:28:25 AM »
Ralph - just one little note ....

....In the instructions it has all sorts of jiggery pokery with a finger/dial gauge... I opted for a different approach, ........My little Wixey digital angle meter. accurate to 0.1 of a degree will do me. ....... This approach will work just fine as it's set to zero on the mill table and then used to make sure the brackets are square to the table........

Levels of various sorts are great to trim the scales in roll and pitch, but can't help in yaw.  With, for example, the Y scale, by using the level you can take out any vertical twist and and difference in height front-to-back; but what the level can't assess is if the two points on the base casting that the scale is mounted to are genuinely parallel to the Y axis. What you really need to do is to mount the scale base to the mill's base casting; run the table all the way over to the left as it is your first photos, and pop a mag mount indicator on the end of the table with the finger running on the scale base, and then run the table back and forth in Y - you may well find you have to shim the front or back end of the scale to get it true.  (BTW, when I fitted these same scales to my Warco GH mill, I fitted the Y scale to the left of the base so as to leave free access to the gib lock screws).

Dave

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 11:09:19 PM »
Hi Dave,

I understand what you are saying bout the guages.

I'll look at it tomorrow when I'm in the workshop. No harm in checking.

I couldn't fit to the left hand side of the mill as the power feed unit is there. I can still access the locking screws quite easily though.... That's why the bracket is fitted to the back edge of the bed.

Ralph.

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »
Ralph,

The standard practice for these sorts of mounts is to drill a hole in each corner and put a grub screw into each hole.

Then with the main clamp screws just tweaked up, and using the jacking grub screws, you can level the holding bar very accurately against almost any uneven surface.

The main clamp bolts don't have to be super tight, as very little force is required to move the heads, but if you are worried about it bending the mounting rail, you put more grub screw holes in strategic locations that are just tweaked up to touch after the four corner mounts have the rail perfectly level and vertical in all planes.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
Just what Bogs says, I have the air lift cylinder on my bandsaw mounted that was and it's onto a rough casting at about a 15 degree angle but the mounting is vertical.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
Ok, so you guys have much more smarts than me  :smart:    :)

I'll have to investigate and see what I find. It does appear to be working perfectly now that it has no bits of swarf stuck in the plug!

If I check it and all is good I'll probably leave it alone. No point in fixing what ain't broke!  If it needs tweeks I will insert jacking points and go from there  :thumbup:

You might have thought that the manufacturer would have put such things in place? Or at least suggested it in the instructions?!  :poke:

Anywho, been playing quite happily over the last few days (henceposts at 4am!... Lost track of time!) Steady yourselves.... Nearing completion of my rocking engine!! Only started it about a year or so ago  :bugeye:  no pic's yet though.... Still computerless  :(

Ralph.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:53:03 PM by Divided he ad »

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:23 AM »
If I check it and all is good I'll probably leave it alone. No point in fixing what ain't broke!

You are quite correct Ralph.

I only showed that because it is standard practice when mounting things onto uneven or angled surfaces. Now everyone knows the secret.

John

Skype - bandit175

Offline Davo J

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2011, 07:16:46 AM »
There are manufacturers of these cheaper DRO's supplying backing plates with jacking screws. I think my Meister manual has it in it but never come supplied with back plates.
When I installed mine, I used jacking screws on both the reader head and scale as the brackets where welded up and you cant always get them perfectly true.

I perfect spot for them would have been on your Y axis instead of using packers.

Dave