Author Topic: Wiring diagram for Boxford VSL 500 lathe  (Read 6849 times)

Offline omni

Wiring diagram for Boxford VSL 500 lathe
« on: December 26, 2010, 07:50:56 PM »
I have a SL 500 that will not run. It was purchased new in 1983 and is the latest version of this model. It differs from those sold in England in that it is designed to operate on 208V 3 phase power vs 440V. I have a diagram for the 1970's English version but mine is quite different both physically and electrically.  I purchased the machine from a school after it had been removed from service, so I don't know its history.  I suspect an interlock problem (it uses up to 5 of them)  and need a wiring diagram to trace it. Older versions used a specific color for the entire interlock circuit (violet, I believe) but this one has all red or black wiring.  Anyone out there have a diagram?
Thanks, Monty

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Wiring diagram for Boxford VSL 500 lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
Hi Monty... Afraid I don't have a diagram for one. Hopefully someone here does.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline omni

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 10:49:47 PM »
Eric: Thank you for your interst.  I did find a hand drawn functional diagram that is fairly complete.  I have used it to power up the machine but details of the specific components, interlock circuit and spindle brake are missing.  I believe there is a good wiring diagram somewhere since I have a nice copy for the older machine.   :wave:
Monty

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »
Monty,

I would suggest an email to Tony

http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford/page3.html

He should have a copy of the original manual, and will be able to tell you if the information you require is in there before you go parting with your hard earned.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:59:50 AM »
There's a hand-drawn wiring diagram for a VSL in the Files section of the Yahoo Boxford Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoxfordLathe-UserGroup/?yguid=290138149  
It is for UK 3-phase power, but may be some help. You will need to join the group to see it, but it might be worth joining anyway, and asking on there. Some of the members are on your side of the pond.

Andy

Edit: The hand-drawn diagram is in the "Wiring Diagrams" file. Yesterday, another file was added: "Boxford VSL Wiring Diagram 2.jpeg, whch seems to be an "official" version, though the member who added it said
"... can anybody spot the deliberate mistake? Not mine, but Boxford's... ;o) "

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 06:15:10 AM by andyf »
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline omni

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »
Thanks to all: The drawing on the Boxford site is for my machine, and was complete enough to allow me to jumper the interlocks and power up. The lathe runs smooth and quiet. The drawing is what I would call a functional, very high level but still very useful. I'll continue looking for a complete version but that is now in the "nice to have" category.
Monty :wave: