Author Topic: Line shaft and leather belts  (Read 16390 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Line shaft and leather belts
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:48:15 PM »
This, to me is a fascinating thing. They are amazing and mesmerizing to watch run. I decided to start a topic where links and experience could be shared. I am to the point where I need to find some leather belt for a couple of projects that I have going. First a couple of videos that I like.

Here are a few links that I've found.

Restoring leather belting

Splicing

There are many ways that a belt can be spliced. They can be lapped and glued, They can be laced with leather, There are several styles of metal clips that are pressed into the leather that allow the belt to be removed. I'll post some links on that next.

Later, Wes

Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Line shaft and leather belts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:54:49 AM »
Some great stuff their Wesley

Th plainer was a real eye crosser, the drive belts seemed to move over at the end of the stroke, can't get my head round why  :scratch:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
So the table would change direction Stew. You don't want the table ending up on the floor do ya?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:22:49 AM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Davo J

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
Thanks for posting these links.

Dave

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:36:44 AM »
Here is another link. Leather belts It seems that there is a debate between guys using man made belts as apposed to leather. I'd like to focus on leather and getting them to run good/right.

There are some good pictures Here

Wesley P

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
So the table would change direction Stew. You don't want the table ending up on the floor do ya?

No that would be embarising I've seen planers push the job off the table when the job hasn't been bolted down .

Most planers I've had anything to do with work a bit like a shaper, I guess what's happening is it changing over to another pulley to bring the table back.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
Another link Here There are some pretty machines here!!!!!
Wesley P

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
Another link Here There are some pretty machines here!!!!!

Not only that, but he's using the Reid engine as a full CHP unit! It's a nice setup too, I'd like to copy it (albeit on a smaller scale, I think) one day...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
Here is another discussion on Leather belts

Here is a dealer of New Leather Belts They seem to have a good FAQ section.
Wesley P

Offline John Swift

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
some how I don't think I'd like to be any where near all those flapping belts

it reminds me of old pictures of the machine shop in the B.I.C.C factory that was near to where I live

all the machines originally driven off a line shaft were converted to electric
with there own motor driving via a short leather belt the original pully

I know of one war issue 1/2" B.S.A automatic capstan lathe  still in use in  2001

the razzor sharp edge on the metal joints could do a lot of damage

John   

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »
Here is a discussion on skiving leather belts Skiving
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:37:22 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline John Swift

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »

Hi Powder Keg

for some reason the link is not  working  for me

by the way I think the BSA machine was a number 48

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
Fixed(o:

Here is an interesting thread. Model T Fords had leather fan belts. Ont of the fellows mentioned that you should use back leather instead of belly leather because belly leather stretches more. Model T fan belts One guy even used belts that he bought from Goodwill.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:54:20 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline John Swift

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
Hi Powder Keg ,

i've now watched the the videos now
the skiving not seen it before
its  better if you have the time for the lapped joint but you usually have to go for the quick fix

I must admit I've never given it a thought about the belts on old cars like the model T

as they say you learn some thing new every day

John

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
Wes, in my old (1941) Machinery's, there's quite a lot of info on leather drive belts: US Navy Dept specifications, including tanning for 6 to 8 months with white or chestnut oak, where on a No 1 native packer steer hide the belt should come from, pre-stretching, lap-jointing including direction of the lap and glueing, laced joints, thickness and width, belt speed etc etc.  Maybe you could get hold of a similarly vintage Machinery's.

That said, unless you want to set up your own tannery, it would probably be easiest to buy the belts but if you think anything I have might help, send me a PM.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »
Forgot about the old machinists books. I'll have to find mine. Thanks.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
Here is a good picture of a Laced Belt They seem to be a little stronger? The holes are farther apart. This helps prevent tear out. At least on the older belts.

I've read that it's also better to use something like an awl to push holes into the leather than to use a punch that removes a small piece of leather. That is how I'll be doing mine.
Wesley P

Offline krymis

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
Hey, That is a good one! Thanks for that.

I found this Link This company makes celing fans that are driven with leather belts. I wonder if the wife would go for this?
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »
Here is a good Link Lots of information here!!! Warning!!! Turn down your volume
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 08:18:44 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
Here is a pretty neat Shop
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
Here is another  manufacturer They have a pretty neat video on their website too.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »
There are some pictures of a skiving setup in this Post I think I'll lace mine though. We'll see(o:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 10:25:38 PM »
My leather belt showed up. I plan on prestretching it first. Probably for a week? I'm going to hang a weight from the rafters of my shop with the belt. Stay tuned for pictures.
Wesley P