Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Webster IC Engine build log.

(1/69) > >>

raynerd:
I think it is about time I start a new build log for my Webster engine. This is the first IC engine I`ve built and I think after many weeks reading and thinking, I just about get the basic concept of how the engine runs  :scratch:!  I have been looking to build an IC engine for a while. A friend and fellow model engineer is currently building "The Project" G1 steam engine and although I was extremely tempted to follow him in a build, I thought I`d stick to my original plans of building an IC engine. I expect "The Project" will be next....

So deciding on the Webster as a simple build (I use the word simple loosely) I started to get materials collected. I snagged a lot of aluminium plate from the scrap heap several months ago and finally I`ve been lucky in the fact that I`ve got pretty much all the sizes I`ll need.

Unfortunately I did not have the cast iron or leaded steel for the cylinder so I purchased that a few weeks ago and insisted that my wife and daughter come with me on a on a "Christmas" trip to Buxton, coincidental of course that Macclesfield was the first stop with MaccModels open and with a piece of cast iron cut, waiting for me, almost likes I`d pre-arranged!!  :ddb:

I`m also changing from the plans and will be using 8mm silver steel for the crank rather than the imperial .313" that is stated. I`m also going to run the crank in bearings rather than brass bushes as stated and these arrived last week:

I  also ordered a small NPK spark plug that cost £3 on ebay but I`ll need a M10 x 1.0 tap which is annoying, my M10 taps are all M10 x1.25mm.

I then had to think about the carb. The thought of purchasing a RC IC engine pre-built carb seems like cheating when it plays such a pivitol part of the engine runnings but maybe I`m wrong in those thoughts!! I haven`t read about too much success with the carb design with the Webster but I believe that the carb from drawings published in ME for the Nemett 15S works very well so I think I`ll run with that.

Then it comes to the gears!! I`m going to try and cut the gears. Thankfully in my efforts in my continuing clock build I`ve attempted several gears so I`m quite comfortable about giving these a crack. Involute spur gear cutters are MUCH cheaper, at about £20 a cutter than Cycloidal clock wheel (gear) cutters which sell for about £60-80 a cutter! Despite this fact, I`m going to try and make my own cutter again using the methods and calculations provided by John Stevenson on the web. I`ve done all the calculations, they are here:
http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=970

Well after all that thinking  :med: :coffee: :scratch:... time for some chips  :dremel:.

It always takes me bloody ages to just cut the pieces, infact it took me a few nights just to rough out a few pieces from the big sheets of aluminium. Here are the two side supports, the one blued up is to size, the back longer support is just roughed out.

I`m in a bit of a pickle with regards to the base. I`ve nothing really suitable and can`t afford a piece of ally big enough just for the base of this. I think this piece will do, but it is a little bit thin, then again my plan is to raise the base on pillars so the electrics can go under it.

I`ve also been preparing for cutting the cylinder bore which I`m going to do between centres. Lots of good advice was given here:

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4093.0

and in preparation I made this bore setting device:
http://www.raynerd.co.uk/?p=992

And with so much success, I had to fall over some where!

looking good so far:

yea... then I thought I could just not show it hence the angle of the photo...but look at the fins  :(

but hey ho! I`m going to go and bore it and hopefully it`ll still run, just the gap between the fins is wrong. Two stupid errors, I misread the plans and then to compound the issue, the work managed to move from the 3 jaw during grooving!!

Here is the cylinder with the roughed out cylinder support piece:

...and that is pretty much where I am up to right now. Next job is to mount the cylinder again for boring between centres.

Chris

madjackghengis:
Hi Chris, this is an interesting build to start on, it looks like you've got a pile of loot and getting ready to start turning some of it into parts.  If that piece for the base is a bit flimsy you can always beef it up from the back side with some hardwood bracing or plywood.  I've had a couple of Brit cars that had wooden frames, back in my younger days.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you set up the valve train and all.  Nice start you've done.  :ddb: mad jack

Gerhard Olivier:
Nice start chriss

Hard to imagine and engine when you see a pile of bits!!! :ddb: :ddb:

Gerhard

NickG:
Nice 1 Chris, the fins won't matter a jot! That base looks thick enough to me, how thick is it? Some engines you see are vastly over engineered for the scale if you think about it. Can't wait to see more!  :thumbup:

Nick

Stilldrillin:
Fins? They're only a bit different to drawing!  What's wrong with a bit of character?  :thumbup:

You`re off and running Chris!  :clap:

David D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version