Author Topic: 4 jaw chuck help  (Read 6798 times)

Offline ALB

• Aberdeen
4 jaw chuck help
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:54:56 PM »
Hello All,

Can anyone help me on this i have a old hobbymat laith and i have been looking to get a 4 jaw ind chuck 80mm dia
the thing is i have never changed a chuck before  :palm:
the chuck in the machine at the moment has 3 bolts sticking out the back plate so i would need one that directly fits
I don't have the skills to machine a back plate to fit any old chuck so it would have to be hobbymat MD65 compatable
i have asked stephen lacey (he's the man for hobbymat stuff) but he said i should get one from Chronos and machine to suit but like i said to tricky for me
so the task has been set anyone able to assist ? :bow:

Thanks

James

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:02:44 PM by ALB »
Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Offline Swarfing

Re: 4 jaw chuck help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
This lathe is similar to the clarke etc type lathe, it has a simple flange mounting. remove the three bolts and measure the flange or recess on the back of the chuck and give one of the suppliers of choice a call and ask for a chuck with the same recess size. These are very common and the chucks are normally quite reasonable from the likes of RDG etc. hope that helps as that is all i did when i owned one previously.
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
Ill route mine out I have a brand new one never fitted for a MD65, Ill measure it for you, if I rember it's the holes that are a funny ofset as they are a pain to fit as the chuck has studs and it's a pain to change, by the way I have a MD65 with all gears and a lot of spare parts including original vice  pluss quick change tool holders, spare top slide ands all the extra essel eng sold. plus a clark stand and tray.

PM ME

PETER
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline ALB

• Aberdeen
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Thanks guys :thumbup:

Thanks Swarfing,The problem with the RDG Chuck is i still have to drill the three holes  :bang: and that's the bit that troubles me (dont want to have a expensive ornament)
I will continue the hunt for a second hand hobbymat chuck :scratch:
Peter if you could mesure up the chuck it would be greatly appriciated

James
Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
HI i have a emco compact 8 wich has the same fixing will this help pics

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
If you do not want to drill then try Warco or Axminster as they sell the spares and use the same chucks on their products? Try something like this even

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLARKE-METAL-LATHE-4-JAW-IND-CHUCK-ADAPTOR-PLATE-/200395397526?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2ea87f1996

Once in hole stop digging.