Author Topic: 3hp gas engine build  (Read 10795 times)

Offline Alphawolf45

3hp gas engine build
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
 I have started building a full sized gasoline 3 hp 4 stroke single cylinder water cooled inboard boat motor. 5 inch bore , 6 inch stroke..Bought the reprint of the book "How to Build a Three-Horsepower Launch Engine" by E.W Roberts..Copyright 1901 .....Flywheel will weigh approximately 180lbs. I am making patterns and coreboxs now.. Lots of fun.  I've been years getting ready to have a go at building a fullsized fully functional working engine..
  There are scadzillions of guys building little engines. Very popular and plans are everywhere for scale models but very few folks build full scale and few plans for full scale engines are available..I had wanted to build something else but settled for this one..I'll build a nice wood boat to go with it .Figure I'll be able to build the engine inside this year as well as finish a couple Winchester 1873 rifles I am well along on building now.
 Anybody have link to anybody built a fullscale engine of any sort? I'd appreciate the inspiration to be gained observing somebody else doing what I want to do.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: 3hp gas engine build
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »
Welcome back Alfawolf45, long time no see.

That's quite an ambitious project. More power to you and good luck. I'm sure the guys here will be more than helpful in your building project.

As far as anybody else doing this I don't think I've heard of anybody. Sounds like you could be the first. And when you start a nice build thread would be greatly appreciated.

Again wwelcome back and have fun.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »

Welcome back Alfawolf45, long time no see.

That's quite an ambitious project. More power to you and good luck. I'm sure the guys here will be more than helpful in your building project.

Again wwelcome back and have fun.

Bernd

Thanks for the welcome back Bernd...What'd I miss? Hehhehehh 
This engine is almost bigger than can easily be made with my machines..Have to use my well worn 1945 20 inch lathe to turn the cylinder pattern....And making pours of castings bigger than I ever have done...It's a big project for a hobbiest.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
It's Alphawolf!  :wave: been a long time.

That is a decent sized engine. I know a few guys building motorcycle engines from scratch... but nothing like what you are doing. They are outsourcing the casting.

Would love to see a build log on this. It may even attract more people that are doing something like this.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »
Hi Alphawolf, I'm looking forward to this build, I build full sized engines regularly, but they're old Harleys and such, being rebuilt, even if they are going together with parts that have just been introduced to each other.  I've got a couple of projects on hold which are of similar size and stature, so I will be following this closely.  What are you melting iron with?  Are you using a cupola?  I'm really looking forward to when you get to the casting stage.  I'd also be interested in the Winchester builds, I'm a bit of a fan of model 92s and 94s myself.  If you're interested in making them take down models, I've got an NRA gunsmithing book which has a nice way to do that job clean and effectively.  :headbang: :poke: mad jack

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back Bernd...What'd I miss? Hehhehehh 
This engine is almost bigger than can easily be made with my machines..Have to use my well worn 1945 20 inch lathe to turn the cylinder pattern....And making pours of castings bigger than I ever have done...It's a big project for a hobbiest.

Don't think you missed anything, some new projects maybe but noting important.  :lol:

Took a closer looke at the drawing you posted. I'm wondering how you will do the water jacket? Core?

I'd say go for it. You've got lots of support here.  :nrocks:

Bernd

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
  Engine will be aluminum castings. Sand cores for water jacket. There nothing to this project that would give too much trouble to a determined hobby machinist ..As we all know, metalsworking is easy assuming you have the tools and know how to use'em,, the trouble is keeping the interest going long enough to finish a big project..I have enough tools . If I fall on my face it will be cause I dont care enough to finish.
 Here see the setup I used to bore out the aluminum casting I made for corebox to make the sandcore which will be the waterjacket in the cylinder..The inside diameter of this casting is the outside diameter of the water jacket for this 3hp engine..Big ain'it?

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
All right Alfawolf. Looking good. Big? Ya for a hobby machinist.

That's quite some nice old looking lathe too.

Looks like you've started already. I'm sure there will be a few memebers here that are going to  :poke: if you slow down, me included.

I'd like to see this engines running.  :thumbup:  :beer:  :ddb:  :mmr:

Anybody else feel the same way?

Bernd

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Bernd
   I got that lathe for hundred bucks on ebay but was 1700 mile round trip to go get it.. I was needing to go that way anyhow......I took it 100% apart and replaced several  shafts and all the bushings and seals throughout.. Its well worn, certainly not toolroom precision but use it right and she is invaluable to me on a nearly regular basis...I wouldnt accept the gift of another just like it but I wouldnt part with this one either. I like it a lot..Thanks for the compliment... I thought I was posting a video, dunno why it is just a picture...

Yes I have begun..Will work straight through till its done with just a few weeks off now and then to breathe fresh air and do other things....Planning a backpacking trip now..
 This engine plays into my grand scheme..Its the big one on my bucket list...I want to build engine and boat and cruise down part of the Mississippi  river to the Gulf of Mexico...Lot of folks have motored down the Mississippi and lots of guys have built engines and lots of guys build boats..It aint about them , its ME...I've never done any of that stuff and want to do it all before I croak off...Not a big deal but its my modest ambition such as it is...I'll show what I can as I make progress....need to figure out posting pictures though, I am doing something wrong.....Heres another view of the setup to bore the core pattern casting

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
If you click on the picture you showed, it takes you to Photobucket to play the vid. That is why a lot of people prefer to use Youtube. That plays directly in the post.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
 Yeah BStandard I seen that right quick after posting about it but decided it wasnt worth my time to edit the comment..I figured correctly that somebody with the big interest in correcting folks would chime in to show me my error..

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »
... I thought I was posting a video, dunno why it is just a picture...

I was only trying to help

I figured correctly that somebody with the big interest in correcting folks would chime in to show me my error..

I won't bother in the future then
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:50:55 PM by bogstandard »
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »
Hi Alphawolf, I'm looking forward to this build, I build full sized engines regularly, but they're old Harleys and such, being rebuilt, even if they are going together with parts that have just been introduced to each other.  I've got a couple of projects on hold which are of similar size and stature, so I will be following this closely.  What are you melting iron with?  Are you using a cupola?  I'm really looking forward to when you get to the casting stage.  I'd also be interested in the Winchester builds, I'm a bit of a fan of model 92s and 94s myself.  If you're interested in making them take down models, I've got an NRA gunsmithing book which has a nice way to do that job clean and effectively.  :headbang: :poke: mad jack

Madjack
  Old Harleys...How old? I got some  health issues that serve to remind me that I shouldnt plan a whole stack of long projects but I have long pondered a build of a very old Harley ..I'd want to build engine , transmission , frame and tanks....circa 1913?  But I find no drawings for such a build ..A guy could work from photographs..But its bigger project than I want to start...
    I have started building winchester 92 though its anybodys guess when I may finish it.. Hers sideview picture of a Marlin 1892 that I built..I made every piece of the rifle except bought the tubular magazine and one spring and started with a large dia rifled barrel blank that I milled to a tapered octagon..I made every other spring and bolt and carved stock and cast the buttplate..Its a purty gun to go shoot in the backyard...... I have schematics of takedown rifles but honestly I dont want one myself and I dont understand the appeal.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »
Heres another picture..Some folks would be surprised to learn how long it takes to machine that little chunk of steel at front of the fore end..To make it and the little dovetail retainer inside it and make the screws and polish and colorcaseharden takes me all of about 3 days...and altogether there is lots of little parts to be made on a gun build..Heaps of fun.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
I complete average of 2 replicas of antique guns each year.... See where I left off on the Winchester 1873 projects to go work on the engine..This is an original 115 year old receiver that I bought devoid of all parts on gunbrokerdotcom and then I have made all the other parts cept did buy the tube magazine and thats a ruger barrel that I customized to work on this gun................Its a trapper length .22 caliber carbine. Only needs firing pin and some metal finishing to complete it.....I also have 4 other Winchester model 1873s  in other calibers and configurations that are about 50% completed ( I have close to 6 months work and a thousand dollars into this series of firearms).......Metalsworking is easy, easy ,easy..Buy the tools and skills follow close behind...Buy the tools and almost immediately you can build one of these or little model engine or whatever suits your temperment..Best hobby ever..Most of you already know that but I like saying it...Hehhehheh    ..Hmmmmmmm. I do use an old fullsized cnc milling machine to make some of these parts but I find it almost as easy to skip the cnc and go straight to the manual machines....and I might add that I find I need the Tig welder often when doing a gun build...this old receiver was rusted away in a few spots so that I had to add metal back with the welder...anybody want to see more pictures just ask otherwise this ends the old projects discussion... and on with the new project... :clap:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
Yeah BStandard I seen that right quick after posting about it but decided it wasnt worth my time to edit the comment..I figured correctly that somebody with the big interest in correcting folks would chime in to show me my error..

Was there a need to post such a reply  :loco:

Rob  ::)

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
Yes. Sorta rude wasnt I?  I tried to come up with something better but couldnt think just how to put it and maintain complete civility as is my usual tact..I know bogs from another forum years ago , butted heads over there and wanted to give a slight and obvious indication to him that I dont want to cross posts with him again.. I wont post in his threads and I dont want him in mine. I am sorry if I upset anybody else.

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
so only Certain people are alowed to post in your threads , can we have a list ?

Peter

I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »
All right guys. That's enough.

I don't want to hear any more bickering here. If you have nothing nice to say than don't say it.

I'm asking nice now.

Bernd