Author Topic: Versatile Dividing Head  (Read 22403 times)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Versatile Dividing Head
« on: December 15, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
I wrote about this on the HMEM forum. I think it would fit in here very nice since it would make a nice build thread. Now, don't hold your breath thinking this is going to happen in the next several days. My prjects take a long time doing and finishing. Don't believe me? Just ask the wife how long it's taken to build the house we live in and how much father I have to go. I'll give you a hint, the house has been in the making since 1997 and here it's almost 2009.

Anyway I'm getting  :offtopic: here. Below are a couple of pics of an aluminum bronze casting for Geo. H. Thomas' universal dividing head. I've had this casting for a good 15 years so it's well aged and ready to have some machining done on it. The part was made by a committe. A quick explanation is in order here. A long time ago I belonged to a forum on Compuserve (anybody remember that?) on home foundries. It was decided that as a project we would do a casting everybody could put to good use. One person made the wooden pattern and then sent it to the guy that poured the castings. This guy lived in one of the southern costal states. He even made a video on tape of the whole casting procedure which we then sent around to the memebers to watch. Anyway I never got around to doing anything with it because I lacked the machinery and the book on maching it to the sizes needed plus all of the other stuff that went along with this divider. I finally found a book that had the revised addition of the divider. Tee Publications has the book so I ordered it. Now all I need is the time to fit this project in amongst the ones I've already started. So pics below.

And here's a pic of what the finished product would look like. It's not very big. It would be ideal for an X2 or X3 mill table.

One of these days I'll get the  :dremel: out and start making chips.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Versatile Dividing Head
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
That's neat ............... I'll be watching .................... and thinking how well it would fit on My X2 table

CC

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:04:41 PM »
Me too, this will be interesting..........be good to see how a pro works....

That's a dig guys...... :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »
Me too, this will be interesting..........be good to see how a pro works....

That's a dig guys...... :thumbup:

Don't do that to me Darren. I was sweeting bullets there for a minute. I don't preform well under pressure.  :D

Bernd

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 03:17:40 AM »
I think you perform pretty well.

Seeing you move that mill gave me nightmares....but you had it under control all the time....

Phew...... :bow:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »
So tell me Bernd, are you the only one of the "group" who never finished the project, and would another casting be able to be found?  I've wanted to build that dividing engine for quite some time, but never had either access to the casting, or to the original design.  If you know of one running around loose still, I'd like a chance to make an offer on it. :headbang: mad jack

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
You can still buy the castings, Jack, but it looks like they are only available as parts of a kit and at a price (ignoring shipping):

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/Versatile_Dividing_Head.html

The same outfit has always produced castings for many Geo H Thomas workshop items, which have always been popular here in the UK. The Thomas family is probably still  :beer: on the royalty income.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »
And if you just want the indexing head, missing all the fun of building one, the thing is available from
http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Dividing_Heads_and_Indexers.html
It´s almost an exact copy of the G. Thomas head. The Hemingway kit is cheaper (eh, better said, not quite as expensive...) than this, and the P&P for either one would probably make a strong man cry. They´re heavy lumps. But if ever you need to divide something to 1000th of a degree, they will deliver.
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Bernd

Bernd, have you been holding out on me?  :lol: :lol:

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Sorekiwi

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
I havent used them, but this company in the US has casting kits for the "Universal Pillar tool" and the "Versatile Dividing Head" amongst others.

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools.html

Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
So tell me Bernd, are you the only one of the "group" who never finished the project, and would another casting be able to be found?  I've wanted to build that dividing engine for quite some time, but never had either access to the casting, or to the original design.  If you know of one running around loose still, I'd like a chance to make an offer on it. :headbang: mad jack

Jack,

As I mentioned in the start of this thread it was a community project on Compuserve. The guy who made it lived in Louisiana and had a hobby casting shop. I doubt he is still alive since he was quite old back then. I finally a few years ago found the Geo. Thomas book with the drawings in it. I do plan on finishing this project sometime in the "distant future".  :lol:  :ddb:

I see you've already gotten some good points were to find one. Good luck.

Bernd

Offline Tinkering_Guy

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »
That "hand shaper" looks like an interesting project, as well.  Personally, I'm not impressed with the MMP Web site, though; inset frames with separate scrollbars and having to bring up a PDF to see pricing..?  Meh.
Tinkering_Guy
Hobbyist machinist, electron-pusher, software dude, and experimental chemist

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:58:15 AM »
I purchased the universal pillar tool castings from Martin Model and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase any of the castings they offer. Annealed, no holes, machined great, (for cast iron) and free shipping. I had a couple of questions before I ordered, Gary Martin answers the phone, pleasant and very helpful.
Jeff