Author Topic: An external spiral lubrication groove  (Read 5253 times)

Offline Sorekiwi

An external spiral lubrication groove
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:01:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Anyone got a good method of cutting a spiral lubrication groove around the outside of a shaft?

I'm thinking to (somehow) set up for a 1/2 TPI thread, and possibly cut the groove with a small ball ended carbide burr spun in a toolpost grinder, probably turning the chuck by hand.  I say "somehow" set up for 1/2 TPI, because I'm not sure my lathe can be set up for that coarse of thread pitch.

But maybe someone has a better idea?
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
Re: An external spiral lubrication groove
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »
Almost any lathe with change gears can be set up to cut very long threads. In your case it would be a matter of playing with the gears until you get close to what you want.

You could use just a normal pointed cutting tool to give you the groove, it is only for oil transfer, and I don't think it would complain about the shape of the groove.

Your main problem will be when you turn your machine on to do the cutting and then press down on the half nut lever, if it gets that far, your change gears will most probably disintegrate before your very eyes, or some other very nasty and expensive noises and breakages.

With these very long pitch threads, you turn the power off to the machine, and do it all by hand by turning the leadscrew. Some lathes actually have a handle on the tailstock end of the leadscrew, mainly for manually feeding the saddle, but in this case, it would be perfect for the job. You might even get away with turning the lock nuts on the leadscrew end with a ratchet spanner or some such thing.

By doing it that way takes all the pressure off the gear train and you will find it will cut very nicely indeed.

Bogs

If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:07:20 AM »
That's how Proff Chadock /sp  describes the method of cutting the grove in the vertical column on a Quorn cutter grinder, but he used a high speed spindle in the tool post as this job required a square grove

Stuart

Offline djc

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:22:16 AM »
Anyone got a good method of cutting a spiral lubrication groove around the outside of a shaft?

How long is the shaft?

Take off the topslide. Mount shaft in two pillow blocks parallel to cross-slide. Screw drive dog to shaft. Prong of drive dog rides on a ramp fixed to lathe bed. Hence, as you advance the cross-slide, the shaft turns. Hold ball-end mill in lathe chuck.

It is well worth reading the old engineering books (most of which are online) to pick up these kind of tricks. Any good text on metal shapers or planers will show this set-up.

Offline Sorekiwi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:26:03 AM »
Thanks guys!

I'll have a play with my change gears and see what I come up with.
Mike, expat Kiwi in NE Ohio, USA