Author Topic: New little shop  (Read 14052 times)

Offline cuog

New little shop
« on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
My "shop"' now officially has machine tools.  My Taig lathe just arrived today so I wired it up and got turning.

Basic wiring, three prong ends cost too much so I used a simple extension cord.

All the parts. the first thing that struck me was the size.  While shopping for a lathe, I had a hard time determining size from the photos, and measurements.  I included a US quarter for those shopping to maybe get a little better idea of how small it really is.  While I was thinking something a little bigger, as you can see from my desktop I really don't have space to spare anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the motor mount setup.  It uses the weight of the motor to tension the belt, and the bolts thread into the particle board, I couldn't start them by hand so I used my drill, again my give a little scale to those looking(and for those more curious among you I can get better scale pics by request). 

All put together and turning a test piece.  Getting the four jaw chuck centered was a real pain.  I think a three jaw is in order for stuff that doesn't need the accuracy/versatility of the 4 jaw.  Also need to figure out a setup for the dial indicator  that doesn't take an hour to finally get it setup so I can get a reading. 

Just playing with different speeds feeds and tools

After I finished playing, I decided to make something, a replacement tip for my protractor to use it as a divider.

Cut off the stock and next to the graphite

Finished product, not the best execution, but I'm quite happy with it based on the tools I had when trying to cut the taper, and for a first project its nice to have it done on the first day. 

It seems that I still need to lap the bed again, the cross slide still has a little play in it.  I can push on the tool post and it will make a slot about .001" deep.  When tightening the gibs it just locks up and loosening enough to slide free I get play. 

And finally all cleaned up and ready for another day

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
Re: New little shop
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
Looks good. Suggestion,  Fire Extinguisher or two. Now the office is a shop the FE is a must have.

How you will manage to keep the chips from tracking down the halls. well when ya figure that out, let me know.

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline cuog

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »
Hardwood floors and sweeping with a paint brush from the dollar store.  So far so good, I haven't gotten stabbed walking around barefoot yet.   ::)

Next weekend I'll be talking with my dad about what sized fire extinguishers to get for my place, since I realized when reading the thread over on HSM that I don't have any in my place. :bugeye:

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »
Cuog,

Never be concerned over the size of your machinery. OK some of us have got much larger stuff, but if you learn how to get the best out of that little bit of kit, you will amaze yourself and everyone else with what you can achieve. Size isn't everything.

I have seen some wonderous models that have been made with exactly what you have. In the first stages you must look to your enthusiasm to keep you going, experience comes a little later.

Think about what accessories you REALLY need, if you can't decide, then ask on here. Sometimes that shiny new extra can be a total waste of money, and I am sure the members on here that have such machinery will point you towards what is good or bad.

With regards to fire extinguishers, I have a few of the larger 'car' type ones dotted around my shop, they seem to be made to cope with almost any sort of fire.

Good luck with your new found enjoyment.

Bogs
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline cuog

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:17:55 AM »
Question, the concern that pushing the tool post towards the work piece is causing it to cut deeper?  I ask because this is not a normal direction for forces to be applied during turning operations.  In mill operations (esp climb milling on finish passes) it is something to be concerned about, but in external lathe turning work, the lathe is always going to push back on the tool post in a consistent direction.

That's exactly the case, and if its something I shouldn't be worried about I will leave well enough alone. 

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:27:14 AM »
.  The old machinists I learned from used to say, a good machinist can make great parts and a C**PY machine, where a poor machinist can only make good parts on a state of the art expensive machine.  There are some limits to this thinking, but by-in-large it is true.  You will observe this over and over as you think about and decided to do something a different way than the way you did it the time before given the lessons learned....

That is why I have bought a new shinney lathe  :(

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:36:02 AM »
Seriousley the best lathe I ever had was an emco the size of yours, it was 30 years old when I got it and I made the best bits I have ever made on it, I traded up and stupidley gave it away, never got comfortable with the bigger lathe. but that is just me and I only make small brass parts. just read through this site, take it slow and askif you need help no mater how silly it seems,someone will gladley help you.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:11 AM »
Hi cuog,

Congrats on the arrival of the lathe. You mentioned trouble setting up the dial indicator. The articulated arms on the common sorts of indicator mount are a pain. I found it best to make up a mount which fits in the toolholder, so the indicator can be brought slowly into contact with the work by moving the cross-slide and carriage.

Setting up in the 4-jaw gets easier with practice. I use the method shown here: http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Centering4-JawChuck.pdf though with a dial indicator with a little finger on the end rather than a plunger type.

Incidentally, the pic in that link shows the indicator mounted in the toolpost.

Happy turning!

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:00:20 AM »
cuog,

I suggest you cover up the printer that is beneath your desk. It won't like a diet of swarf.

Dave.

Offline cuog

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:46 AM »
Hi cuog,

Congrats on the arrival of the lathe. You mentioned trouble setting up the dial indicator. The articulated arms on the common sorts of indicator mount are a pain. I found it best to make up a mount which fits in the toolholder, so the indicator can be brought slowly into contact with the work by moving the cross-slide and carriage.

Setting up in the 4-jaw gets easier with practice. I use the method shown here: http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Centering4-JawChuck.pdf though with a dial indicator with a little finger on the end rather than a plunger type.

Incidentally, the pic in that link shows the indicator mounted in the toolpost.

Happy turning!

Andy

I'm liking the toolpost mount, it took me about 20 minutes to get the indicator in a useful spot, then about 5 minutes of fiddling to get to .002" runout which I called good enough.  My dial indicator is far from the best, its just one I bought for less than 20 bucks shipped online somewhere, but it should be good enough until I can start collecting more measuring tools.

Offline fixit

• my first engine
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
 |Good choice for a small lathe  you will be suprised how acurate you can be with it.

As you will see when you look at Deans website and others it is easy to make bits for it /modify bits ect.

IMHO the first thing is to get a length of 1" ally bar and start to make tool posts iv'e now have about 12 with diferent tools as they are so quick to change.

As to using a dial ind,  i have this fitted to the 't' slots on the head

Which can be swiveled around as needs be

Another thing i made and use often is this wigler!

And a quick look at my leadscrew adaption

Like you i have limited space but it realy keeps me happy and with help from everybody on this site i'm improving all the time.

Any questions just ask

Steve
northolt,near Mc donalds, next to Pc World

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »
Your gonna want the 3 jaw chuck with soft jaws for the Taig. The soft jaws ability to be fitted to a part give even me the ability to fab a part somewhat close to what was intended.

Robert
Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Suggestion,  Fire Extinguisher or two.

I thought that's what that square thing on the left was.

Congratulations on your new baby.

Saludos from Spain.

Offline cuog

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »
Suggestion,  Fire Extinguisher or two.

I thought that's what that square thing on the left was.

Congratulations on your new baby.

Saludos from Spain.

I'd rather that be a last resort.  I have an embarrassingly large amount of money tied up in that silly little box. :loco:

Offline Hobby-Machinist

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
Congratulations on the new machine and on making something useful right off. You may want to mount some handles on the mounting board to allow you to easily pick it up for moving, perhaps also some rubber feet.

Enjoy it!

Nelson

Offline cuog

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
it's been over a year since my old shop photos, and I've been a bit busy adding things.  I've added a new mill, and quite a bit of stuff for playing with electronics.  I still have a to do list a mile long of tools to build, but I'm trying to stay on topic building tube guitar amps to sell.  My Taig is now bolted to my workbench, and having a 1/7hp DC motor setup for variable speed(As soon as I get around to connecting wires and programming the controller).  Maybe next time I'll even clean before taking pictures.   :poke:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »
Cool shop Cuog  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Looks like you well tooled up  :dremel:

Rob