Author Topic: Milling Question  (Read 3702 times)

Offline 75Plus

Milling Question
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
I frequently make a part that requires a 1/2" radius on the end of a 1/8 X 1" bar. I use my RT and a 3/4" end mill to do this. I use the 3/4" end mill to reduce flexing. My question is: Why does the end mill continue to contact the work piece only in the "Climb"direction? I have gone back and fourth as many as 5 times and there always seems to be contact between the tool and work piece only on the return. Flexing must not be the cause as that would apply in both directions.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Joe

Offline gbritnell

Re: Milling Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:27 AM »
Hi Joe,
The only reason I can think of is that there is some play in the rotary table. If the cutter is sharp one extra pass would normally take any spring out of the cutter and therefore it wouldn't rub the workpiece any longer. It sounds like when you crank the rotary table in one direction and then back in the other direction a little play is moving it off center.
Just my guess.
gbritnell

Offline Jonny

Re: Milling Question
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:56 AM »
Next grab hold of the rotary table and try and move it about. Watch for the movement some where, literally any where even spindle track it down.
Could even be the bed locks and play i always lock down whats not needed. When precision stuff i even use bed lock as a tension on gib strip in climb, nice finish.