Author Topic: $30 Project shotgun  (Read 24809 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
$30 Project shotgun
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
I was at a local pawn shop today and ran across an old shotgun made by the Bridge Gun Company. I liked the way it looked. Kind of reminds me of an old Stevens? It was missing the original stock and fore grip. The metal is rusty, but it doesn't look too pitted. All the mechanical things seem to work fine.  The stock that's on it now won't come off? I think this gun will clean up really nice. I thought it would be a fun project. I think I can make it look nice again.

The crack on the stock goes all the way through to the other side. I have a few ideas that I want to try out. This one will be fun I think :) I'll do better at taking pictures of this one :worthless:

Wes :wave:
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline CallMeAl

• I came, I saw, I wondered how to do it!
Re: $30 Project shotgun
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »
This should be fun to follow.  If nothing else, you will have a cool looking wall hanger.
I skin cats my own way!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
That's kind of what I was thinking :lol: I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures on this one(o: It should be a good gun when I'm done. It will be unique that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:03:34 PM by Powder Keg »
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
I need to do a little checking. But I think this has a short chamber? Which will be fine because I plan on shooting brass shells in it. I can probably load up and roll crimp some plastic bodied shells also? A modern 2 3/4" star crimp shell I think would be too long. The crimp would be in the barrel raising the pressures and recoil. Not good for an old gun!
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
A little more research and this gun "could have" been made by Stevens. I found this quote on the net.

"Bridge Gun Company never existed. It was a trade name used by Shapleigh Hardware of St Louis on guns made by Crescent, Harrington & Richardson, Stevens, and several Belgian gun makers.
The "Belgian Laminated Steel" suggests that it was made in that country, and the crowned-oval-ELG* mark shows for certain that it was proof-tested there sometime after 1893. The import of these hardware store guns pretty much ended with the start of WWI, so you can say it is a century old, +/- a decade. "

Nine doesn't have any fancy marks that I've found yet. But I think it was once nickle plated. It's not at all collectible, so I won't feel bad doing anything to it. I need to head out to the shop :zap:

Wesley P

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:22 PM »
Thats looks like granny my old shotgun hiding in the darkest places. its worn out the barrel is rifled now form all the use.
But that dam thing will still kill what ever is in front of it. i need to cut it down to 18.5 " and a home made pistal grip so i can shoot 00 buck from it
my home defense mechanism   :)   its chocked and it still holds a good pattern . oh it kicks bad too
im looking forward to this one so ill be keeping a close eye here. :beer:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
I can't quit thinking about this gun for some reason? I've been doing a lot of "Research" which amounts to staring at pictures on the internet :lol: But I'm slowly picturing this in my head. I've made a sketch or two and both my wife and I really like this design. It's just something that I came up with.

A few years ago I traded for some Black walnut planks. There is some good wood in them. But some junk also.

I cut the plank in half and started with the worst end. This is the first stock for anything that I've ever made. So I don't want to ruin my good wood.

I cut out my sketch and traced it onto the plank. Then band sawed it out. Wow this is some nice looking wood!!!

Some of the cracks go in about 3/4" or so but I'm sure there is enough there to work with.

The old stock was in terrible shape! There was a crack that went all the way through it starting at the reciever and headed about 1/3 back. The hole for the bolt that was supposed to hold it on was curved so bad I couldn't see the bottom. I decided to cut the stock in two to get to the bolt. It turns out that there wasn't even a bolt holding it on. The wood was just pinching the receiver and that is all that was keeping it there.

The next plan I think should be to thin up the piece and start in-letting the receiver. I'll flatten one side then saw the blank a little thicker than I need it to be.

Stay tuned :wave:
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:45:59 PM »
Interesting butt design, Wes. When it's done, the whole thing will look a bit curvaceous like a Middle Eastern jezail. There was a really nice piece of walnut hiding inside that rough-looking slab  :thumbup:
Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
I had to look Jazail up :lol: I was thinking more Steam punk. But those are pretty neat!!! I plan on a second stock for shooting from the shoulder later on maybe. I have plenty of wood and I need the practice. I need to decide how I'm going to drill the bolt hole now? Maybe I can make a guide and drill it by hand? My mill isn't big enough. Hummmmmm?
Wesley P

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
Hi Wes,

I'd suggest drilling the bolt hole now, while the block still has more or less parallel sides which you can draw guidelines on.

Assuming you will be doing it by hand, and that the butt plate end is going to be reasonably wide, go in from that   end with a big (say 3/4") drill to part-way, and from the receiver end with a 1/4" one (I think that's what your sketch says) to meet somewhere in the middle. That will give you a counterbored hole which will eventually be covered by the butt plate, and involve drilling two short holes rather than one long one which might come out in the wrong place. If the holes aren't quite in line, it probably won't matter too much; the butt can be shaped to suit.

Andy

Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
This is going to be a fun build!!! I started to inlet the stock. I set it up in my mill and just lined up the pencil marks that I copied off my sketch.

I started nibbling away at the stock with a 1/2" endmill.

I just went to the line.

My mill is too small to drill all the way through the stock. But I can start the hole OK.

I followed the 1/2 inch bit with a 1/4" Drill. it turns out my drill is too short also. I'll have to get a longer drill and go the rest of the way by hand. The drill will follow the hole good though.

I then thinned my blank up a little more.

I think I need to look at taking the action apart before I can finish in-letting the stock. I'll start working it over with a wood rasp to shape it up. I'll get a longer drill bit and finish that here in the next couple days.

Thanks for the input :wave:
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »
I forgot to add a picture of how it's coming together. I shortened the barrel to 18 1/4" so that's legal. The overall length will be nearly 27". I need to get some belts for my sander. I think I'll need it for the portion that touches the action. I'll probably do the majority of the rest of the shaping with rasps and files. That should keep me busy :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: This sure is a fun project!!! I love how it's turning out!!!!!

Stay tuned for more.....
Wesley P

Offline Jonny

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Never done one for a shotty quite different to rim and centrefires.

They call that heading up and needs to be done now best done with files and smoking up.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 06:44:34 AM »
Tonight I took out the pins that held in the hammer and trigger and pulled out all the guts. That will make it easier to make things fit nice, I think. There was a ton of dirt inside. I'll start cleaning and sanding things down to be rebuild soon.

Wesley P

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:42:22 PM »
im liking this very good i need to shorten mine .  :beer:  :headbang:

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
I showed a few guys at work on Monday and today one of them brought in a Marlin model 200. It had been shortened but was missing the stock. He sold that to me for $20 \o/ Now I have 2 projects :wave: It is in a lot better shape that this first one though. I'll start cleaning that old one up a bit and see how things look.

Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
Another guy at work wanted that Marlin. He wanted me to fix it up and he had an acceptable trade so It's getting finished first. I fitted the stock and went at it with a wood rasp. I carved the cheek pieces to match the receiver. It will get a brass butt plate before it's done.

I had to make a fore stock to match the wood. I need to start sanding it down now.

Part of the trade was another old shotty\o/ It's a Harrington and Richardson with a patent date of Feb 27, 1900. It has a short chamber like the old bridge gun  company that I'm working on. It might get turned into a single shot rifle? These old guns are fun to mess with.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »
Thanks Kenneth!!! I saw that on a really old shotgun and I liked it  a lot. I wanted to see If I could do it.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
I might like to try this. It's wire inlay. A Google search shows some fine examples. Here is a LINK That gives pretty good instructions. I might try and get some of that wire to mess with. It looks like maple is the wood of choice. I'll have to see If I can get some chunks to mess with.

I didn't get much done today Just some doodling. I might break out the wood burner? I still haven't decided yet. My wife likes it :ddb:

Later, Wes
Wesley P

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
Looking good so far Wes!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks Eric. When I get the wood done, I'll clean up the metal. The receiver is color case hardened. There are a bunch of tiny little rust spots. I'll remove them and oil it really good. Then I'll clean the barrel and re-blue it. It should look pretty nice when I'm done. I want to try and get some nice pictures of it at that point since it will be gone shortly after that.
Wesley P

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
I got the first round of sanding done tonight. I've heard that a good gun finish can take a week or more to apply. I'm going to try that.

Stay tuned....

:wave:
Wesley P

Offline Blade

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:31 PM »
Nice job on the shotguns. I have a friend that does wire inlay on his knives, it is really a nice touch and looks great also, he is probably one of the best at it that I have ever seen. He loves guns also, I can see if he would give you some tips. PM me if you are interested and I can send him your contact info.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
Been busy playing with hammers and knives the last few days. I re-doodled my scrolls. I like the new ones better. I'll get a picture.

I've been looking at the first shotgun that I took apart. I have it completely disassembled now. There is a skill that I've been wanting to learn for a while now and I think this will be a good candidate to try it out on. I've been gathering stuff and information for a couple years now on Color Case Hardening. I'm going to attempt to do that to this shotguns receiver, hammer, and trigger. I'll be sure to document everything good for those that are interested.

Wesley P

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
Wes

Your doing a great job, and your giving me a few ideas on what to do on a couple of old beaten up shotties I have sitting next to the lazyboy, I for one am really interested in the color case hardening gig I think the effect is truly eyeball pleasing.

Keep up the good work old boy!!!!      Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.