Author Topic: My garage  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

My garage
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
Okay its not exactly the cleanest or most organized shop you've seen but I know where everything is.   My shop is shared with an SUV, reloading equipment & bullets, 1 freezer & a cat house.  

The following pics are cleaning up the mill & lathe when they arrived, the exception is the mill got used right away and the lathe didn't, I ended up in the ER the same day the lathe was supposed to be on my truck. Lesson got learned that day.  

This is the 2527 VH logan w/ cabinet I picked up locally. Actually its a 12x35.

Not in this Photo but the rest of the tear down if you click the pic and scroll through images on the upper right: Dont mind the fire extinguishers I just dont have any other place to put them.

The Champ Mill series IV I picked up a couple years ago. If you scroll through the rest of the pic's through this link there are things I documented.

I would add that the mill brand new is about $14K, I managed to get it for $600 its a 1991 model year, at the time I could have scrapped it and made out with triple my money invested. The major problem with it was the table was jammed, I fixed that. Other issues included rusted & pitted surface on top, the vise had to be beaten off the table with a hammer so I could clean the T-slots and tram it, it took 2 weeks to clean slots alone. I spent countless hours trying to get the to coolant drain and not pool up in the middle. 

Steady rest that I built, the first stages of the build.  
My videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLbXRNlm-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jj2TV7h9Rk
The steady rest is 100% complete, it works well for what it made for sometimes I over complicate projects.

Minus the welding slag and grinding dust the garage is much cleaner than it was the first time. I'm actually throwing junk away but still bringing in new things.

ETA: Enjoy the little things!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:14:33 PM by ChadA4MG »

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: My hog hole
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »
Nice!

Lathe looks good.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

Re: My hog hole
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
An updated new look:

I finally got around to really cleaning the lathe up, a few days worth of purple degreaser, masking and some hard work yielded this fine looking piece.  My only wish was that I had done this a year earlie.   I used Rust-Oleum Engine Enamel Silver about 1 1/2 cans, because I couldn't paint the back side of the machine and the one side.  Eventually I will remove the blue paint from headstock, as soon as I figure out how it comes apart, I did that for chuck but the other end  :scratch:

I'm using first aide boxes for storage now so it a little more organized and not nearly as messy except for the chip bin.