Author Topic: A lock for the shop gate  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Trion

A lock for the shop gate
« on: February 24, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
A couple of weeks ago we had an a burglery attempt. Measures had to be taken, so I decided to make a proper way of locking a gate from the inside. This might seem a bit rough to many of you who are used to neat little engines but it might be interresting to some ::)

I started by turning the OD on a pipe to a small shoulder, flipped it over and bored out close to desired dimension

I bored a hole in a square plate to suit the shoulder diameter of the pipe and welded them together. Then I chucked it in the lathe and turned the internal diameter of the pipe to the correct dimension

I also faced of the back of the plate as it warped a bit during welding. Inside the bore there is a 2mm shoulder. The groove inside the pipe is for lubrication later on.

Then I started turning down a 70mm shaft to 40mm in passes with 1mm DOC and high feed, still it took for ages!

The surface was rough and became very hot, not to mention the swarf which didn't break and ended up in blue 2 meter long coils, so I had to fill up the coolant system on the lathe and try it out. It worked a treat, except for a leak where the bed is mounted to the stand in the tailstock end.

Finished bar

It did fit inside the pipe :beer:

To make the locking arm i "needed" a somewhat accurate hole, so I bodged up this boring tool

And used it to bore out a hole in a suiting piece of flat steel

A bit of welding later and there you go, I had turned a groove inside the tube and drilled a hole for a grease nipple before I welded it together. Don't want to have to pry the lock open in a few years time :poke:

I didn't take any pictures of making the counterpart, but it is quite basic. Due to security reasons the pictures of the lock are a bit reduced. The flat steel is 15mm thick and the shafts are 40mm, should be able to give the next thieves some problems :beer:

Offline Gerhard Olivier

Re: A lock for the shop gate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:33:28 PM »
That is a HEAVY duty lock

Hope it keeps the vermin out

Gerhard
Guernsey
Channel Islands

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Katie bar the door!
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Don't forget your'e kee   :lol:
Kidding I'll just hope that this will hold the bad gay's outside your'e door.  :thumbup:

Offline bigmini

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
Don't forget your'e kee   :lol:
Kidding I'll just hope that this will hold the bad gay's outside your'e door.  :thumbup:

That's some great work there.  :clap: :clap:

Unless your doors are similarly reinforced though, they will be the weak link. The thieves will simply cut through the door instead.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »
That is one very sturdy lock indeed, I hope you manage to keep out the vermin.  I don't even have gates or a fence at my place, but I have been known to shoot at the vermin who attacked my neighbor, and I have three good dogs which are always hungry and wary.  I haven't felt the need for such measures since I left the city, and moved to the farming community I live in now.  In the mean time, the cities have only gotten worse, and people in places like where I live are putting up warning signs for the would be burglars, to protect them from being shot or eaten.  I had to put a lock of that sort and size on the front door of my last house, I hope never to need such a thing again, I'd much rather they fear entering my property because of what they might find.  I've considered setting up my "next door shop" with multiple insect foggers and a trigger arrangement to set them all off at once, if the door is opened without proper proceedure, just to deter such ideas.  Those who work to produce the things they want generally have strong feelings about those who would rather steal than work.  I hope it works well for you, mad jack

Offline Trion

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, sometimes extreme measures have to be taken..

madjack: I would have liked the thieves to be afraid of entering my garage. Long story short, if a thief gets injured while robbing my shop, I go to jail.. Go Norway! :bang:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »
I've always wanted to put a sign at the begining of my long driveway that read:

"Unless you are famaliy, invited guest or making a delivery your are tress passing and will be shot on sight".

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
I've always wanted to put a sign at the begining of my long driveway that read:

"Unless you are famaliy, invited guest or making a delivery your are tress passing and will be shot on sight".

Bernd

Ya thats my thinking exactly thats what ganny is for just point and clik  hahahaha  no need to aim what ever is in front simply wont be there no more :beer:

Offline foozer

• Camano Island WA
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
It is a pickle as to security. If they really want it, its gone. I live in rural country and just use motion detecting lights. 99% of the wanna B's will run under the light of day. Had one, actually two times where I had to take action, first the sound of the pump action shotgun loading was enough to get their attention, like deer they did scoot. Second strange vehicle parked near barn, walked around the back side with the 44, just a lost couple down the wrong drive.

Problem is tho, when confronting strangers is the "Am I gonna have to shoot this clown" Its almost, as long as the knuckle-heads don't try the house, the items they could take really arnt worth the hassle and mess generated by impact of a 20 gauge slug to the torso.

Slept with a 16, now its a 44

Robert

Ignorance is Bliss, thus I aim for Perfection

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:19 PM »
I say shoot the b$%$&&*ds dead dead dead no wounding they will come back. dead they don't come back and the word very quickly spreads (dont come around here  )  i dont have any problem with shoot first ask questions latter . and i live i calif the most criminal friendly state there is. if your a criminal then calif is where you want to be cause your can get away with everything here but (mind u criminals  ) if you come around my F$$*^$ house i will shoot your ^$*&$ DEAD DEAD DEAD then drag your DEAD body in my house GET THE PIC. as you can tell i really hate somebody who steals from me. ok im done now.