Author Topic: File on a shaper?  (Read 5221 times)

Offline ieezitin

File on a shaper?
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
Hello peoples.

All you guys with shapers!!!! Has anyone ever put a file on a shaper to use as a tool? If so what were the results and how did ya do it?

If the answer is no why do you think it would not work?

(the older I get the more weird I become)    :loco:

Happy days….. Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: File on a shaper?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40:25 AM »
Oh yes, I am sure it would work.  You could mount the file on the clapper box and fit some sort of devide for holding the file down during the cut stroke and lifting it clear on the return but I am not sure how this would be better than what the shaper with regular tools can do anyway.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Trion

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:26 AM »
Wouldn't an angle plate with a hole in it make a good die filer out of a shaper? Ofcourse locking the clapper box then.. :scratch:

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »
John.

What my though was on putting files on the shaper the ease of use for fine work, chamfering and just all over control for filing,  plus I was having a problem slotting that 1/8 wide slot I mentioned on another post, I would have thought a 1/8 file would have flew through the material with less abuse.

Your thought on holding the file down on the cut stroke is something I did not think about but needs to be addressed, the return stroke and the file lifting I did address and was duly concerned until Trion chirped in.

Trion      your thoughts hit the nail on the head, I did not think of it as a die filer but in essence thats what it would be, making the plate with a hole and locking the clapper box would be super easy great thought thank you.

Happy days     Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.